gamingrig66

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
hello i have a radeon hd 7850 and cant seem to get the hdmi cable to work. i have a ASUS VS Series VS238H-P as a monitor just getting a black screen when i use a hdmi cable... ive never used a hdmi cable on a computer before so kinda new to it. is there some setting in the catalyst control center i have to use?

Solution
HDMI is actually fairly bandwidth limited, as it's designed around TV's which typically operate at 24Hz refresh, I know in 3d, HDMI 1.4a is limited to 24FPS/eye at 1080p, so my understanding is that would translate to a framerate cap of 48FPS (actual frames displayed). I know that DL-DVI (dual link dvi) is capable of 120FPS@1080p; but there are lots of different versions of DVI and HDMI (though the latest HDMI is 1.4a)

gamingrig66

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
yes the dvi cable works just thought a hdmi cable would be better picture quality? maybe it doesn't matter on a computer. i could get another hdmi cable and try that. but if there is no need for it i wont even get one. i use headphones that's why i didn't get a monitor with speakers.

xii4obear

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

It won't have better quality just because you're using a HDMI cable as compared to a DVI. I'll use a HDMI cable for my computer monitor in 2 scenarios, if the monitor has built in speakers, or if my DVI cable/ports doesn't work. My point is, if the DVI work, just use the DVI.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
HDMI is actually fairly bandwidth limited, as it's designed around TV's which typically operate at 24Hz refresh, I know in 3d, HDMI 1.4a is limited to 24FPS/eye at 1080p, so my understanding is that would translate to a framerate cap of 48FPS (actual frames displayed). I know that DL-DVI (dual link dvi) is capable of 120FPS@1080p; but there are lots of different versions of DVI and HDMI (though the latest HDMI is 1.4a)

Solution