Hdmi issue

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HDMI
  • Cable
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 4, 2012 4:19:43 AM

hello i have a radeon hd 7850 and cant seem to get the hdmi cable to work. i have a ASUS VS Series VS238H-P as a monitor just getting a black screen when i use a hdmi cable... ive never used a hdmi cable on a computer before so kinda new to it. is there some setting in the catalyst control center i have to use?

More about : hdmi issue

a c 413 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 5:34:10 AM

Does connecting with a DVI cable work? Since the monitor does not have built-in speakers there is no real need to use the HDMI cable.

Do you have a spare HDMI cable somewhere or can you borrow one? Perhaps test your HDMI cable by connecting it to another PC and monitor.

m
l
May 4, 2012 3:05:14 PM

yes the dvi cable works just thought a hdmi cable would be better picture quality? maybe it doesn't matter on a computer. i could get another hdmi cable and try that. but if there is no need for it i wont even get one. i use headphones that's why i didn't get a monitor with speakers.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 4, 2012 3:13:11 PM

gamingrig66 said:
yes the dvi cable works just thought a hdmi cable would be better picture quality? maybe it doesn't matter on a computer. i could get another hdmi cable and try that. but if there is no need for it i wont even get one. i use headphones that's why i didn't get a monitor with speakers.

It won't have better quality just because you're using a HDMI cable as compared to a DVI. I'll use a HDMI cable for my computer monitor in 2 scenarios, if the monitor has built in speakers, or if my DVI cable/ports doesn't work. My point is, if the DVI work, just use the DVI.
m
l
May 4, 2012 3:14:34 PM

For PC to Monitor, there is no difference between DVI and HDMI. If your display is TV, you want to use HDMI, though. DVI doesn't carry sound signal.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 3:40:09 PM

HDMI is actually fairly bandwidth limited, as it's designed around TV's which typically operate at 24Hz refresh, I know in 3d, HDMI 1.4a is limited to 24FPS/eye at 1080p, so my understanding is that would translate to a framerate cap of 48FPS (actual frames displayed). I know that DL-DVI (dual link dvi) is capable of 120FPS@1080p; but there are lots of different versions of DVI and HDMI (though the latest HDMI is 1.4a)
May 7, 2012 2:15:29 PM

thanks for clearing all this up guys ill just keep using my dvi cable and use my hdmi if i ever plug it into my tv. thanks :) 
m
l
May 7, 2012 2:16:05 PM

Best answer selected by gamingrig66.
m
l