Solved

Black Screen Upon Boot (Possible vga or psu issue?)

Hey guys, just a question real quick,

I've been having some trouble with my PC lately, and I'm not able to determine whether or not it's the power supply giving me problems, or my video card.

Basically what's been happening is that (When the video card is installed) My screen goes black after the bios post message, and sometimes it won't even go that far, it'll just be completely non responsive. When I unplug the video card and run video off of the onboard graphics, everything seems to work as normal. It's pretty strange because the last time I had an issue similar to this, which was a random black screen during usage, just playing around with the drivers seemed to fix the issue.


System Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 PRO 780G
Video Card: PNY GTX 460
Power supply: Antec Earthwatts 650W (Roughly 3-4 years old)
Corsair H50
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Samsung 160GB HD

Thanks very much in advance,

-zodiac
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about black screen boot possible issue
  1. test the card in another system could be defective
  2. scout_03 said:
    test the card in another system could be defective


    Unfortunately I don't have another system to test any of the parts in.
  3. that the only way we have for now to see if it is the graphic card or something else that is defective
  4. scout_03 said:
    that the only way we have for now to see if it is the graphic card or something else that is defective



    Well, I purchased a Xion 1000W and a GTX 560 Ti, and I still have the same issue. Could it be the motherboard?
  5. could you plug the graphic to the v5 or v6 the gave 30 amps and this is not making system work motherboard need rma
  6. scout_03 said:
    could you plug the graphic to the v5 or v6 the gave 30 amps and this is not making system work motherboard need rma


    It's strange because with this new power supply, using onboard video won't work. Since the motherboard is not under any warranty due to expiration, are there any other recommendations you can make before I remove it from my system?
  7. you could try cmos by removing the battery to see if system will reset so you could at least acces the onboard video but the gtx 560 ti should not be on the mainboard
  8. scout_03 said:
    you could try cmos by removing the battery to see if system will reset so you could at least acces the onboard video but the gtx 560 ti should not be on the mainboard


    I did try reinstalling the motherboard battery with no luck. Would you say it's still the motherboard causing the issue even if the system ran up until now, with the old power supply, and onboard video?
  9. Best answer
    It sounds motherboard to me before you bought the new parts, and having the same issue makes it further sound like it. Since it's usually capacitors that go on motherboards, whos job is to hold voltage in quantity and discharge it in a single go the voltages around the motherboard can get weird before it just dies. Just a thought.
  10. since you got new parts and system wont start motherboard realy having something try to have her check before buying a new one and if she still under warranty ask for rma
  11. rajyohanson said:
    It sounds motherboard to me before you bought the new parts, and having the same issue makes it further sound like it. Since it's usually capacitors that go on motherboards, whos job is to hold voltage in quantity and discharge it in a single go the voltages around the motherboard can get weird before it just dies. Just a thought.


    I guess that sounds to be more like it, then. The motherboard was purchased in 2009, so this leaves me more towards that idea. Plus the fact that I would have a dead power supply and video card (both brand new) would be unlikely.
  12. Best answer selected by zodiac949.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics