Crossfire & Eyefinity issues - yes, an other one of those :(

wishdokkta

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Hi guys, at the end of my tether with this now - I have spent countless hours scouring google and various forums and have seen many opinions and issues. I would really appreciate some help from TH forums, you have helped me in the past!

Ok, first off - the rig:-

AMD FX-8 - 8120 CPU
16gb DDR3
ASUS M5A97 Mobo
2 x MSI R6850 GPU's in Crossfire
60gb OCZ SSD / 2 x 1TB HDD
Kuhler 620 CPU Cooler
OCZ Fatal1ty 750w PSU
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme
3 x 24" Acer Monitors
Windows 7 64-bit Pro

Clean install of windows, Mobo BIOS updated, 12.4 catalyst drivers installed

So here is my issue. Crossfire and eyefinity (as I have seen from many forums) have many issues but I am yet to see one quite like this, if I use crossfire it is fine, if i use eyefinity it is fine, if I use both together....its woeful

EVE Online (Eyefinity certified)

If I have eyefinity enabled, and crossfire Disabled, I can get 60fps no problem at all at 5760 x 1080. No boosting from the second card.

If I have eyefinity disabled and crossfire enabled - I can get through-the-roof fps at 1920 x 1080. Runs like a train.

If I have both eyefinity and CF enabled, I get 7 fps @ 5760 x 1080. If i reduce the resolution to 1920 x 1080 (effectively not using eyefinity), we are back to max fps again, the fps is improved the more i reduce the resolution.

Dragon Age: Origins (Eyefinity certified)

Both enabled:- cant even get graphics! Audio is working, mouse is working, screen is black (monitors still on).

I havent been able to test this any further as it is now stuck in 5760 x 1080 on one screen, despite saying its at 1900 x 1080 (another problem?)

3d Mark 11

No issues because it doesnt take advantage of 5760 x 1080.

Other stuff

I have noticed that if I try and run anything in 5760 x 1080 with CF, when i can (eventually) get out of the game, windows tells me the GPU drivers have stopped working and been recovered, it doesnt do this in 1900 x 1080.

I have switched monitors around and that hasnt worked. I am using a active displayport, 3 x DVI.

I have tried a different card (an Asus 6850) - no different.

So I cannot get my head around this. Why can one card handle the graphics better than two?? Obviously I know that eyefinity and crossfire have had their relationship problems but that cant be the reason surely....they are both AMD technologies. I have ruled out VRAM, the general consensus is that 1024 is enough (and in any case, ONE card is doing fine with 1024!).

Any help on this would be appreciated, I know i can get a 7xxx card and forget the crossfire but thats not an option atm.

Why am I having so many headaches with this?

randomkid

Distinguished

You need to have a work around patch for this. I forgot the site where you can download this but I guess you can ask your friend Google.