G

ok, so yet another problem when transporting *slightly* older parts to a new computer is that they don't bloody well work, here's my problem: New rig, amd 1.33, epox 8kha, 40gig maxtor diamondmax, etc. Tried installing my less than a year old 30 gig seagate barracuda drive into my new rig and voila, nothing happens. Bios doesn't even seem to want to recognize the drive as existing then, when the system gets to loading the os, it says ~?Arc read error, can't open partition..?very poorly paraphrased. Anyway if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated since that sucker cost me a pretty penny when purchased and in theory should still be totally functional! thanks much

G

ok, just checked out the error, now this is with both installed, the new maxtor 40gig with a fresh install of win2k sp2 (NTFS), the old seagate 30 gig w/ win2k sp1(FAT32). The error is, I/O error 00002000, Arc read failure, could not open partition. This is odd b/c a)the seagate doesn't show up in bios as even being connected, b) if it really wasn't being read then the system should just boot into windows off of the master drive (maxtor), well I'm plumb confused, any ideas all??

G

Try going into the "brand" website as most have a setup program that will lead you through this for any configuration you want. Just did mine that way coz Ima real dumbass sometimes, then again I can be so intelligent it scares me and everyone else too..hehehe.

Silly suggestion,jumper settings on old one been changed?

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 07/18/01 10:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

well jumper settings were changed, tried setting jumper as a slave to the new drive and also on cable select, tried running the new drive on primary ide and old drive on it's on secondary ide cable, new twist is that often if the old drive is plugged in, bios won't recognize either one as existing!? so I'm pretty much damned confused

G

Dont use cable select,its EVIL.
Btw, second drive on second IDE should be set to master.
If you set it up on 1st IDE it should be set to slave with the drive you want as the main drive set to master.
Oh and just a thought, if both drives are the same speed ie;100/66/33 you can run them as master and slave on the same IDE without speed loss. Bios should determin their address automatically.

I have 2 hd's and a CDrom on my rig, I have the Main Hard drive(100) on the 1st IDE set as Master of course! and on the 2nd IDE Hard drive (33) which is set to master with CDrom set as slave.
I cant have both HD's on the same IDE as one will slow the other apparently, and Iam leaving the slave on IDE 1 vacant for now so nothing will interupt it. Might put a burner on there later.

Hope that helps you...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 07/19/01 12:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yes sounds exactly what happend to me when I set mine up. Had to unplug 2nd HD because it wouldnt reconise it, turned out just a simple jumper setting on the 2nd HD on 2nd IDE, lost the sticker of it too which didnt help but managed to try different positions until I got it (could have checked website I suppose). Then restarted terrific,all is well!

G

well unfortunately, I have the stickers for the correct jumper settings, and I've tried everything so far, all settings all different varities of cable's, etc. Tried forcing the bios to recognize them when both were plugged into the same ide as master/slave and for some reason the bios would recognize the newer maxtor drive as existing, but as being 0gigs and wouldn't recognize the seagate at all as usual. Damnit bloody irratating!!

G

Sometimes jumper settings on stickers dont relate to other drives, I had to find/play with it until it came good!
But it could be something entirely removed from this that is giving you trouble.

WARS,flames, who ever wins I get the spoils!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Don’t see from the post whether the Seagate is in working condition.

Lets check one thing. Without going deep into Windows,
just on the intial stage when the system recognises
the harddrives through BIOS.
Make sure that your Maxtor is working good when alone as master on the primary IDE (no other devices on IDE controllers).
Pull all jumpers off the Seagate, connect it on the secondary IDE.
Go into your BIOS, set secondary master to auto, secondary slave to none.
Save and exit, reboot and see if that helps. If not, there’re some more questions.

Does the Seagate work alone? When no other devices on either IDE controllers?
Have you tried the Seagate on another machine recently? On the same motherboard/ribbon where it came from?

G

tried all of this and still nothing, the seagate spins up, but doesn't do jacksquat on it's on, by going into bios, I can force the bios to recognize the maxtor, when they're both on the same ide, however it recognizes it by name and as 0gig's and still no seagate drive, or it recognizes it as full 40 gigs, and then just hangs forever when trying to boot up the os, plz help, it's getting bloody well annoying!!

G

Try seting one or the other up and see if at least one works.
Otherwise ya have Lost me! Try re-posting on the CPU forum, more people go in there. re-word it a bit as it could be some other problem.

:wink: <font color=red>Is there a help group forum</font color=red><font color=green> for forum addiction?</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 07/23/01 01:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>