Thermal Paste = CPU Temperature??

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, i got a PC for free today, the owner said the CPU fan was running really fast, so i got it home, opened it up and the HS was cloged with dust and dirt and the fan was discusting. It was so bad i actually gave it a wash in the bath! But anyway, i cleaned all the dirt out, turned it on, when i pressed the power button, it was quiet for about 3 seconds, then it went really fast (Over 4000RPM!), so then i took the heatsink off and replaced the thermal compound with a cheapy type that came with a cpu cooler. So then i turned it on again and the CPU was running at 54 Degrees idle, thats way to much for a pentium D, and the fan was still running extremly quickly.

So, my question, if you have a thermal compound like arctic silver 5 or something, how much would it affect tempretures of the CPU vs a cheap compound?

And the CPU cooler is also good, it's a big cooler master one with a copper ring in the middle and has a 92mm fan, so i DON'T think that's the issue.

Cheers!

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
i put on a pea sized amount and let the heatsink spread it out, and yes, the heatsinks on there tight, it's one with a backplate and screws so i know it's on tight

It a pentium D 820 i believe if that helps

:)

I would use AS5 asap. The cheap thermal paste should do fine for now until you can buy AS5. Cheap paste might dry out in a year or 2, but AS5 should last a while. AS5 lasted me 4 years only because when I moved, I decided to remove the massive heatsink so that there would be no possibilities of damage inside my PC when hitting potholes or rough roads.

AS5 should bring it down 2c - 5c as stated above. IC Diamond is a bit better than AS5, but also more expensive.