Odd Noise from Power Supply

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there got a Cooler Master 500 watt power supply in my case right now, this was a power supply that was bundled with my computer case. I had changed it as soon as I got the case to an Antec VP-450 but that is now dead. So just I installed this power supply as a backup until I purchase a new power supply and it has been making an odd noise. Seems like static buildup or something like that. I have a sound recording of the power supply noise while my computer is on, its on the link below. Anyways I disconnected the power supply from the computer and jump-started it and it makes the same noise so I know this is not related to load.

Anyways here is the link, I assure you I have not put any virus or anything malicious in the file. It is just a .wav file that's just a recording of the computer sound, nothing else. You just need to download it and hear it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hajel5mm8yp2e5f

Edit: Just some more details, I put it in last week and it seemed fine but either it just started happening yesterday or my ears are just being picky. Anyways I ran prime 95 and it went without a hitch so the power supply is able to power on my computer. My build uses around 350 watts at full load.

Solution
Corsair CX500V2 would be my #1 choice, followed by the Corsair CX430V2 (very conservative choice, by the way, but it will work), or the XFX Core 550w.

But yes, you do have coil whine. Oddly enough, my current PSU has the same issue as yours. It's not too loud but it's definitely faint and louder than my components. I can hear it 'kick-in' on an occasion and it's definitely an irritation factor.

On a side note, do you hear this noise when your PSU is idling? If so, you have the exact same issue as me :lol: My coil whine goes away whenever I put a load on my system (which is odd).

socialfox

Distinguished

Hey there, thanks for answering. Anyways do you think what could have led to the coil whine was the power supply temperatures? I currently have a top mount power supply case and I have a radiator right below the power supply blocking half of the power supply fan. The radiator however has fans that serve as an intake so it blows air right under the power supply.

socialfox

Distinguished

Alrightey, think I wont try anything else with that horrid power supply that only lasted a week. I just thought of it but I know the Antec power supply lasted years with the same conditions.

Anyways which power supply is the best , I know my computer uses only about 340 watts at most but they are all on sale:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_442&item_id=053053
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_442&item_id=037552
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=048310

Will make sure to select best answer ;)

Corsair CX500V2 would be my #1 choice, followed by the Corsair CX430V2 (very conservative choice, by the way, but it will work), or the XFX Core 550w.

But yes, you do have coil whine. Oddly enough, my current PSU has the same issue as yours. It's not too loud but it's definitely faint and louder than my components. I can hear it 'kick-in' on an occasion and it's definitely an irritation factor.

On a side note, do you hear this noise when your PSU is idling? If so, you have the exact same issue as me :lol: My coil whine goes away whenever I put a load on my system (which is odd).

Solution

socialfox

Distinguished

Well mine does have the same issue when idling and at full load, think it gets worse at load making more noise. I'll definitely go ahead and buy a new power supply. Thanks for answering the question and my call. Appreciated the help of both of you guys!

- Socialfox :)

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Okay, few things here.

One, coil whine is not a serious problem, only an annoyance caused by vibrating capacitors.

Two, coil whine can actually be effected by temperature. My stereo system needs to be unplugged when my room gets too cold, otherwise the coil whine becomes perceivable.

Now, while again it's not a 'disaster waiting to happen', it sure as HELL can be annoying. If it is annoying enough to justify a new purchase, then go for it.

For some of us, it's definitely enough to justify a new purchase or RMA. The noise is just a huge annoyance and coming from a vital component in your rig? That's even worse :lol: (Especially considering my entire rig is optimised for silence...current PSU makes me want to bang my head on the wall)

I've RMA'd two PSU's already due to coil whine, unfortunately. I just haven't gotten to it yet on my current PSU due to the long wait (5-6 weeks).

socialfox

Distinguished

Well its a cooler master power supply that was bundled with a computer case :eek: ....tick tock- a bomb ready to explode any second :lol: