What should I use to remove thermal paste?

JJ1217

Honorable
I've looked it up fair amounts of times, and most people say isopropyl and methlyated spirits. The only thing I could find was 64% rubbing alcohol, which was called Isocol (Its in a green bottle, it didn't specify what percentage it was).

My brother who is experienced in computers (Bachelor's degree) says its fine to use 64%, even though people are meant to use at least 70%. Is he right?

Thanks. I got a Hyper 212 Evo, and its the first time I've actually bought a non stock heatsink, so its also the first time I'm going to remove thermal paste. I saw this bundle on ebay for that Artic Silver remover + AS5, so it looks like a good deal, but would take like 2 weeks to get into Australia. I honestly can't wait that long.

Thanks again.

Solution
I've used basically the cheapest isopropyl alcohol i could find at the local super market, and it's always worked just fine. I know people like to spout out to use only the finest, purest rubbing alcohol you can find, but I've never seen any reason whatsoever to do so, and my temperatures seem to care even less than I do. I see no reason to spend anything over $4.99 for it.

Only my experience... mine's 70% and cost about two dollars. TL;DR: Don't pay extra for rubbing alcohol.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I've used basically the cheapest isopropyl alcohol i could find at the local super market, and it's always worked just fine. I know people like to spout out to use only the finest, purest rubbing alcohol you can find, but I've never seen any reason whatsoever to do so, and my temperatures seem to care even less than I do. I see no reason to spend anything over $4.99 for it.

Only my experience... mine's 70% and cost about two dollars. TL;DR: Don't pay extra for rubbing alcohol.

Solution

JJ1217

Honorable
I just went ahead with 64% , and it worked perfectly. Although I dunno how long to test it to see if it fries or not, its working for now, and its SOO much better than the stock cooler. I'm getting 20 less degrees when I'm playing Crysis, and about 4-5 degrees cooler idling. Although its like 35 degrees in Aus right now, so thats hot as, so its probably inflated.

Thanks guys.