Sign in with
Your question

$2000 Gaming Rig! Help (New Build)

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2012 5:59:00 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: 1-5 months

Budget Range: $2,000 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing, Watching Movies, Surfing the Web

Parts Not Required: I need everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel, Asus

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am a extreme gamer, also render lots of videos in 1080p for YouTube, need lots of power :) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of the parts I have came up with: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1LT9T_NZlfNa7cT...

Feel free to comment below if you think I should add or change something. Thanks everyone!

More about : 2000 gaming rig build

June 28, 2012 6:09:06 AM

i suggest these pc component
i7-3770k 320$
asus z77-maximus v formula or gigabyte z77-G1 sniper 3 250$
seagate 3TB 7200 160$
2x8GB 1600 70$
2xnvidia gtx 670 4gb (4gb is better for SLI) 2x450$
SSD 256GB 300$ for bootup
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2012 6:09:33 AM

The PSU is overkill and there are better options than the 2700k. Get the i7-3770k as it performs better clock for clock and heat is not an issue at moderate OCs. You don't need modular or GOLD in a PSU. Cables can be managed behind the mobo tray and GOLD barely saves any $. Get the TX750 V2. One thing: shorten your build time. 1-5 months is way too much of a range to suggest any parts. If it is likely you will not build till the farther end of that build range, come back a week or so before you're ready to build to ask for advice.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2012 6:09:56 AM

Bang on the money for that rig, only minor things I would change.

The CPU can be put up to a i7-3770k, its an Ivy Bridge processor and goes better in your Z77 board. Will give you a bit more performance, supports PCI-3, more robust memory controller and Ivy's heat issues wont matter with that cooler on it.

Get a 16GB kit of RAM, you will need it for rendering 1080p videos. May want to switch to Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM as then less possibility of conflicting with your cooler.

That Power Supple is a bit overkill for your needs (unless you want to SLI/Crossfire later) and isn't from a "reputable" brand. Coolermaster's top end PSU's are generally fine but Corsair and Seasonic are the ones you will want. This Seasonic is 750W, but thats still enough to run dual graphics cards and overclock. 80+ Gold and fully modular.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And that's all the issues I can find with it, have fun.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2012 6:12:27 AM

None of the qualities you listed above are needed in a PSU. A Corsair TX750 V2, which is $50 less than your X750W, will be adequate.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 28, 2012 6:24:48 AM

azeem40 said:
None of the qualities you listed above are needed in a PSU. A Corsair TX750 V2, which is $50 less than your X750W, will be adequate.

Your right, they arent needed, but are very much appreciated.
If my PSU (which is modular) ever needs to be replaced or cleaned, I would not be looking forward to the fact I would have to undo all my cable management to get it out. So it being modular means that I can just unclip the cables from it and take it out, very easy. Helps with cable management since I don't have to hide them in the case

And the average upgrade cycle of a computer (generally) is between 3-5yrs, so a better efficiency power supply may pay off the premium over its life span, especially for rigs that are never/rarely turned off.
m
l
!