Sign in with
Your question

Will the power supply increase the temp !!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 1:37:24 PM

hi guys

so i bought a used Zotac Gtx 460 SE card i put it in the PC and it worked great the IDLE temp is around 40 ( some people say it must be 30 or something ) and i guess 40 is not that hight but when i start a game (Mass Effect 3 On ultra ) the temp goes up and stays around 92 Degrees and i dont think its good but i dont know if the power supply make the card overheat or something ??? its a 550 Watts Mercury (it had some kind of problem before 2 years a wire was cut off and the pc was crashing i guess coz of that wire and also i had an ATI HD 4870 card and it was overheating alot i mean around 115 the temp )

am sorry about that long description but i wanted everything to be clear so the conclusion is that will a bad or broken Power Supply make the video card heat or not ?

thanks alot
and have a good day
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 1:49:16 PM

First, don't run your computer on a power supply you think it's bad.

Temps would not have anything to do with a power supply though unless the fans in the power supply were bad and it was heating up the box.

A used video card can easily have this issue, many I have checked on have heat or crashing issues. Which is why their old owners offload them on someone else. If you know how, remove the heatsink of the card, apply new heat paste, install the heatsink again, check things then. Make sure your case is well ventilated also.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 1:52:35 PM

Depending on the brand of 460 and the cooler it has some run as hot as 80 degrees which is normal. What case is your computer in? Do you have lot's of airflow? What are you using to deteremine gpu temperature? This card has the ability to expel a lot of heat into the case of your computer which will compound quickly if left to build up inside incresaing the temps of your gpu,cpu,motherboard, ram, etc. Please provide more detailed system specs. Use compressed air to blow the dust out of the card if you bought it used. I gave my brother in law an msi gtx 460 cyclone which I installed in his old craptacular dell system which has a single rear mount 80mm exhaust fan and his card is always in the low 90's because there is zero air flow. When I had that card running in a large case with 7 120mm fans, I set up a custom fan profile with msi afterburner and I would not exceed 70 degrees. Same card with two totally different installations and two totally different temperatures.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 1:57:26 PM

Wow an entire post without a single period, just one big run on sentence.

Why would you use a bad power supply then ask if it could cause problems?? Really?

Mercury? I wouldn't use it to begin with cause I've never heard of it and I've been in the business since 1997.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 2:01:10 PM

the great randini said:
ya if it power supply fan or vent is pointing at the video card it will.

do you have room to add a single or dual slot vga cooler?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

does your case have bottom venting for the psu which would allow you to flip it and vent it out the bottom?

Power supplies draw air into the large fan on the top and expel the hot air out the rear. Doesn't matter how it is installed. If anything, the power supply will being drawing warm air from the case into itself not the otherway around.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 2:10:46 PM

geekapproved said:

Why would you use a bad power supply then ask if it could cause problems?? Really?

Mercury? I wouldn't use it to begin with cause I've never heard of it and I've been in the business since 1997.

In the U.S.A. ? I've replaced a boatload of them with Dell 305's
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 2:11:17 PM

I'm gonna be honest, people like you are my worst nightmare. "power supply had some problems, wire might have been cut loldunno" ... ok... not knowing is fine I suppose but don't you think it should be replaced or atleast looked at?

Please don't use that power supply as things will probably go down hill very fast.

Grab a quality unit, also are your temperatures in Celsius or Fahrenheit?
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 2:26:05 PM

mouse24 said:
I'm gonna be honest, people like you are my worst nightmare. "power supply had some problems, wire might have been cut loldunno" ... ok... not knowing is fine I suppose but don't you think it should be replaced or atleast looked at?

Please don't use that power supply as things will probably go down hill very fast.

Well, every one's already said what I wanted to say...

the OP's temps must be in Celsius, otherwise 40F at idle would be near zero-C, and obviously he's not someone who would have that kind of equipment
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 2:36:35 PM

vmem said:
Well, every one's already said what I wanted to say...

the OP's temps must be in Celsius, otherwise 40F at idle would be near zero-C, and obviously he's not someone who would have that kind of equipment

Ah true, I wasn't really thinking about the near 0 bit :p 

So question for the OP, what case/how many fans/ what hardware/ we need more info, it could be as simple as replacing a fan to as annoying as replacing a case.
May 4, 2012 3:57:50 PM

hang-the-9 said:
First, don't run your computer on a power supply you think it's bad.

Temps would not have anything to do with a power supply though unless the fans in the power supply were bad and it was heating up the box.

A used video card can easily have this issue, many I have checked on have heat or crashing issues. Which is why their old owners offload them on someone else. If you know how, remove the heatsink of the card, apply new heat paste, install the heatsink again, check things then. Make sure your case is well ventilated also.

ok thanks alot for this reply to be honest am not that good in computers and i didnt think it will do any bad for the pc and this card is used for about 3 months i bought it coz he wanted some money not for anything else and it was a good price :sarcastic: 
about the case its Commercial one and the to be honest there is not much air flow and the room temp is about 26 so i dont know if this will have anything to do with the problem
May 4, 2012 4:05:05 PM

alrobichaud said:
Depending on the brand of 460 and the cooler it has some run as hot as 80 degrees which is normal. What case is your computer in? Do you have lot's of airflow? What are you using to deteremine gpu temperature? This card has the ability to expel a lot of heat into the case of your computer which will compound quickly if left to build up inside incresaing the temps of your gpu,cpu,motherboard, ram, etc. Please provide more detailed system specs. Use compressed air to blow the dust out of the card if you bought it used. I gave my brother in law an msi gtx 460 cyclone which I installed in his old craptacular dell system which has a single rear mount 80mm exhaust fan and his card is always in the low 90's because there is zero air flow. When I had that card running in a large case with 7 120mm fans, I set up a custom fan profile with msi afterburner and I would not exceed 70 degrees. Same card with two totally different installations and two totally different temperatures.

thanks for this kind reply the card is zotac gtx 460 se just like the one in the site :

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_detail...

the case is some commercial one not airflow maybe just alittle but not that much am using evga precision
the pc specs is
core i5
2 gb ram
550 watts
intel motherboard
but i dont know the models (not so good with this computer thing just had this problem)

the card has no dust at all its like new if u saw it

and i have another question if the temp stayed like this will it damage the card ??
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 4:06:50 PM

killer512 said:
ok thanks alot for this reply to be honest am not that good in computers and i didnt think it will do any bad for the pc and this card is used for about 3 months i bought it coz he wanted some money not for anything else and it was a good price :sarcastic: 
about the case its Commercial one and the to be honest there is not much air flow and the room temp is about 26 so i dont know if this will have anything to do with the problem

Commercial cases with bad airflow does contribute to your heat problem because any hot-air that's not vented out of your case stays in there, raising the temperature inside your case. The fans and heat sinks on your components can only cool as much as the temperature inside your case. Thus, the hotter it is in your case, the hotter your components, including the video card, will run

That said, get a different PSU. most experienced builders will tell you that it's arguably the most important component in your system. Sure, it won't let you play any better games, but it's what's powering all those awesome chips that you bought. if a power supply is bad, it gives unstable current to your components, wearing them out faster, and can sometimes out-right fry them (by shooting too much voltage into them etc)
May 4, 2012 4:08:34 PM

the great randini said:
ya if it power supply fan or vent is pointing at the video card it will.

do you have room to add a single or dual slot vga cooler?

does your case have bottom venting for the psu which would allow you to flip it and vent it out the bottom?

thanks alot man but am not in usa and in my country there is no fans like these and the case has nothing to make the air flow so i dont know if the card is bad or should i try it on a better psu ??
May 4, 2012 4:10:29 PM

geekapproved said:

thanks alot but to be honest i didnt know if it cases problems like these i guess ill change it to some better psu
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2012 4:12:44 PM

killer512 said:
thanks for this kind reply the card is zotac gtx 460 se just like the one in the site :

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_detail...

the case is some commercial one not airflow maybe just alittle but not that much am using evga precision
the pc specs is
core i5
2 gb ram
550 watts
intel motherboard
but i dont know the models (not so good with this computer thing just had this problem)

the card has no dust at all its like new if u saw it

and i have another question if the temp stayed like this will it damage the card ??

to be honest, modern video cards (and electronics in general) that using them (passing current through them) will always damage them. the main question is how slowly they will be damaged. since you'll be upgrading sooner or later, you probably don't care if the video card lasts 10 years or 20 years.

That said, running it above 90C for long periods of time will damage it slightly, but as long as current is stable, it should last a good 3 years or so before any issues start showing up
May 4, 2012 4:13:59 PM

mouse24 said:

thanks alot but to be honest i dont know what to tell you am not that good so i ask people but thanks btw
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 9:34:04 PM

So the case you have is probably as crappy as every other prebuilt system. Download MSI afterburner. It is free. Use it to increase the fan speed from the default setting. It may be a bit loud but it will keep the card cooler even with poor airflow.
!