Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New, almost finished build

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 28, 2012 12:32:47 PM

Hey guys. I came up with this new build and I wanted to get some opinions here.
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX3 Plus (LGA 1155)
GPU:
HDD: 500GB Western Digital Blue Caviar
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2gb x 2)
PSU: CoolerMaster EXtreme 500W
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212

If you may have noticed, theres no GPU :D  I dont know which GPU to put on for gaming, but not hard core kind of gaming like BF3 on Ultra settings. Just Minecraft on 60+FPS or DOTA2 on 60+FPS. :) 

More about : finished build

June 28, 2012 12:36:51 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9gks

id get this but i have no idea how much money you would want to spend on your build. the hyper 212 is totally not necessary as you are not overclocking
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 12:41:17 PM

This seems to be a budget build, around $700 total I'm guessing?
If you only have $150 or so for a GPU left, I'd say a HD6870 or HD6950 (if you can find one)
Bit more cash (~$250) and you can get yourself a HD7850 which will play modern games at quite well, so definetly will power Minecraft.

Oh yea, change the PSU. You will want a 600W and not from Coolermaster, they make great cases, not PSU's. Look to Corsair, Silverstone and Seasonic.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 12:46:57 PM

xfx power supplies are also made by seasonic so no worries there
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 12:55:46 PM

My bad, didnt include budget. xD $700, yes. What about a 550Ti? I heard its not bad for gaming.

EDIT: As for the PSU, what about Thermaltake?
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 1:24:30 PM

Similar reputation to Coolermaster. Also, is this the PSU you were considering getting?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Because $40 is very cheap for a Power supply of any wattage. And it doesnt have any info on it really, doesnt even seem to qualify for 80+ rating.

Good budget PSU makers are OCZ and Antec.
I would recommend this one on a budget. Good brand, light on features but thats what you expect at this price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 1:36:49 PM

manofchalk said:
Similar reputation to Coolermaster. Also, is this the PSU you were considering getting?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Because $40 is very cheap for a Power supply of any wattage. And it doesnt have any info on it really, doesnt even seem to qualify for 80+ rating.

Good budget PSU makers are OCZ and Antec.
I would recommend this one on a budget. Good brand, light on features but thats what you expect at this price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


What about this, (price is about $90) Its from a supplier here in my country.
http://pcx.com.ph/components/power-supplies/silverstone...
Oh, btw, im using 1366x768 resolution :) 

Edit: Any bottlenecking here?
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 3:58:02 PM

the power supply you stated is the same thing as the one that manochalk suggested.

check out my build that i put together

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b0uu

the pc and power cooling power supply is more efficent than the silverstone and is semi modular. but then you can still use the silverstone
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 7:03:01 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the power supply you stated is the same thing as the one that manochalk suggested.

check out my build that i put together

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b0uu

the pc and power cooling power supply is more efficent than the silverstone and is semi modular. but then you can still use the silverstone


Manofchalk said I needed a 600 W PSU. You recommend a 500 W one. Someone please clarify :)  also, about the case, can i just get the coolermaster elite 430? The antec one you guys are suggesting isnt available around here. And im not sure if shipping costs stay the same for all countries. (i live in the philippines)
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 7:31:10 AM

Both Wattage's will work, but 600W will give you plenty of overhead for extra drives and overclocking. 500W will work but wont give you much room to do the above. This is especially important since your possibly using an older card (HD6870), and they aren't as power efficient as modern cards.

When it comes to cases, its somewhat hard to go very wrong. Just look up reviews of the case your looking for and make sure that it suits your needs. Things to look for in cases are good Cable Management, decent front I/O ports, and a good extra is tool-less drive bays. For quality of the case itself, if you don't stray from either Coolermaster or Corsair you'l be fine.
Basically just research, read reviews and stuff.
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 7:39:18 AM

manofchalk said:
Both Wattage's will work, but 600W will give you plenty of overhead for extra drives and overclocking. 500W will work but wont give you much room to do the above. This is especially important since your possibly using an older card (HD6870), and they aren't as power efficient as modern cards.

When it comes to cases, its somewhat hard to go very wrong. Just look up reviews of the case your looking for and make sure that it suits your needs. Things to look for in cases are good Cable Management, decent front I/O ports, and a good extra is tool-less drive bays. For quality of the case itself, if you don't stray from either Coolermaster or Corsair you'l be fine.
Basically just research, read reviews and stuff.


Alright, thanks :D  Last question, incase i decide to buy an AMD processor, which one would you guys suggest? MB isnt a bother to change. :) 
So far, i can afford these AMD processors: (only done some research, not alot.)
Athlon II X4 640
Athlon II X3 450
(phenom II X6 is not available in my area if you were gonna suggest it :p )
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 7:42:00 AM

The G630 greatly outperforms either of those CPUs.
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 7:50:09 AM

Gah, you'v hit me in my weak point. I'l admit I don't know much about AMD processors.
But it seems that right now Intel have the better chips across the board (except maybe at the very low end where their last gen performance chips are now priced). So I would stick with the i3 you have.
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 9:13:58 AM

Ok, so heres what I have so far. I did some more research and found these better and may be able to afford them. Keep in mind this is a completely different build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300
GPU: PowerColor HD7750 1GB DDR5 (this costs $115 here, i think its better than the 6850)
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8GB 1333 2x4
Mobo: ASrock H61M-DGS
PSU: Silverstone ST60F 600W
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430
HDD: 500gb Hitachi SATA 7200RPM
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM ( not sure if this is 64bit :p  )
Monitor resolution: 1366x768 ( I plan on upgrading this soon, so dont worry if the GPU is overkill. )

Comes down to a grand total of: $786. (atleast in my country)
any problems with it?

EDIT: Would Skyrim run on 60+FPS here? :D 
m
0
l

Best solution

June 29, 2012 10:13:22 AM

the RAM is 1333Mhz, 1600mhz is better. anything higher than that isnt worth the price increase.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That GPU is newer definetly but isn't actually as good as a 6870. The HD7770 is a newer low budget card, while the HD6870 was a mid-high range card last gen. The HD6870 will give you better performance.
Some proof.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=540

Make sure that OS is 64bit otherwise your wasting half your RAM.

Not sure about 60+ FPS, but you will get playable frame rates on a 1920x1080 monitor with the settings reasonably high. So it should destroy the game on a monitor of the resolution you have.

Other than those, no problems
Share
June 29, 2012 10:22:52 AM

manofchalk said:

That GPU is newer definetly but isn't actually as good as a 6870. The HD7770 is a newer low budget card, while the HD6870 was a mid-high range card last gen. The HD6870 will give you better performance.
Some proof.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=540


About that, the 6870 costs so much more ($200) here. What about the 6850? Is the performance difference huge between the 6870 and 6850? Or, I could downgrade back to the i3-2120 and buy the 6870, whichever gives me the most bang for my buck. :D 
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 11:24:10 AM

Nw333 said:
About that, the 6870 costs so much more ($200) here. What about the 6850? Is the performance difference huge between the 6870 and 6850? Or, I could downgrade back to the i3-2120 and buy the 6870, whichever gives me the most bang for my buck. :D 


Go with the 6850. I think that if it comes down to a Better CPU vs Better GPU, always go with the CPU.
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 11:35:07 AM

the 7770 is like a 6850 but you can decide on what to get depending on the price
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 12:06:58 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the 7770 is like a 6850 but you can decide on what to get depending on the price


Based on this, http://www.hwcompare.com/11925/radeon-hd-6850-vs-radeon... The 6850 should be better so I think ill go with the 6850.

I guess ive decided on final specs. Hre they are:

Cpu: Intel Core i5 2300
Gpu: HD 6850
Mobo: ASrock H61M-DGS
Ram: G.Skill RipJaw 8gb 1600
Hdd: 500Gb Hitachi SATA
Psu: Silverstone ST60F 600W
Case: CoolerMaster Elie 430

EDIT: I see that i can afford a GTX560 so should i get that? :D 
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 4:07:09 PM

id get a i5 3450 since it is faster

if you can get a 560, can you get a 6870. 6870 does a bit better than the 560. if not, just get the 560

for the ivy bridge, id get something like a h77-v. for the sandy bridge, id get a asus p8h61-le/csm

m
0
l
June 30, 2012 2:29:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
id get a i5 3450 since it is faster

if you can get a 560, can you get a 6870. 6870 does a bit better than the 560. if not, just get the 560

for the ivy bridge, id get something like a h77-v. for the sandy bridge, id get a asus p8h61-le/csm


If i get the i5 2400 or 2320 would it still be decent? But i can afford the 3450 but then again the cheaper the better.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 12:35:11 PM

the 2400 is still decent but then the ivy bridge is just a bit faster. it doesnt really matter that much since they perform very close. ivy bridge is more energy efficent
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 2:39:16 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the 2400 is still decent but then the ivy bridge is just a bit faster. it doesnt really matter that much since they perform very close. ivy bridge is more energy efficent


I see. Anyways, Final Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
GPU: nVidia GTX560 1GB
PSU: Silverstone ST60F 600W
Mobo: Asus P8H61-M LE
HDD: 500GB Hitachi SATA
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (2x4gb)
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

No more problems? If none, will be ordering within a week :) 
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:37:11 PM

if you can get a 6870 it would be better but then if you cant, you are fine to go order
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 11:46:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if you can get a 6870 it would be better but then if you cant, you are fine to go order


I plan to buy the 560 then save up for a 7850 :)  One very laaaast question. 500W can handle the i5 2400 and gtx560? (asking cause its about 30 dollars cheaper here :p )
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:56:31 AM

Best answer selected by Nw333.
m
0
l
!