Uh...WTF just happened???

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I was on youtube when my Screen froze, and was covered in a blue and green pixelated checker pattern. I could move the mouse but was unable to click anything. I turned my monitor off and back on and it was still there. I had to turn my computer off and then back on.

This is probably the 4th or 5th time this happened in the past 3 or so months. In the past it would go away after a few seconds. I just checked my GPU and CPU temps and they were both below 40C so it couldn't have overheated.

Can somebody please explain wtf is going on? I'm starting to worry....

Seems like a card issue, although I have seen this happen with new nVidia drivers and flash video. From how rare this is happening, I would not worry about replacing the card yet though, just wait till it dies and replace it. You may want to clean up the heatsink and replace the thermal paste though to extend the life of the card, although if it was already damaged a bit, that won't really help.

If the card needs a lot of power, could be a power supply issue also, but the only want to check is to try a new power supply or run the card in a different PC for a while to test it.

Go to the older drivers, my 9800GT would lock up the PC for 10-15 minutes every time I played any Flash video with the new drivers, then would give a "video card has recovered from a crash message" and work again.