Advice for a 750W PSU...

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello all,

I'm looking for buy a new power supply but I'm not sure which is the best value in terms of reliability vs features vs price.
I KNOW I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm really trying to spend as little as possible for the PSU, but not exactly skimping out and buying garbage, if y'know what I mean.

My story is that i'm basically upgrading to two GTX560s for an SLI config (which is why I need to save as much $$$ as I can), so I think 750W is the decent amount of power. I'm open to anything from 700W and up if it'll work and be of good value (~$60-$70). Any other suggestions?

I've done a bit of research and the best value PSUs that I can come up with are:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W SLI Certified ATX Power Supply 80 Plus Silver
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55515

OR

OCZ FATAL1TY Series 750W ATX 24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Red Fan 80+ Bronze Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53331

OR

OCZ ZT Series 750W ATX12V 20/24PIN Modular 80+ Bronze Active PFC Power Supply 140MM Fan
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=64382

All of these can be had for $60 after some rebate. I've read the reviews and they all recieve extremely positive reviews (every review site I've read recommends them all). I don't care much about the Fatal1ty branding, and I think OCZ PSUs are fine. I'm using one as I type (it's been over a year).

I'm just having a hard time choosing because the way I see it is that the OCZ has a modular design which I think is a must in these modern times.... as compared to the PCP&P which is of slightly higher quality, but has a mess of permanent cables (is it worth the trade off?)

Thanks for your time.

Solution
I'm using an OCZ as well and I'm very happy with it. I've ordered an 850 fatality for my sli GTX 670 and that's going really well as well, it's fully modular. My older OCZ isn't and the cables get pretty annoying. I think you're better off with a modular PSU rather than a traditional PSU.

Roxas2030

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm using an OCZ as well and I'm very happy with it. I've ordered an 850 fatality for my sli GTX 670 and that's going really well as well, it's fully modular. My older OCZ isn't and the cables get pretty annoying. I think you're better off with a modular PSU rather than a traditional PSU.

Solution

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah.. I think I'm leaning towards the OCZ Fatal1ty 750W.

The PCP&P is great, but lacking modular cables.
The OCZ ZT is fully modular, but I'm reading alot of reviews where the fan sounds like a loud helicopter under load .. =="

Th OCZ Fatal1ty seems to be getting the least negative comments, and with lots of recommendations so I'm hoping that's a safe bet.

And the XFX would be ideal.. but $100 is $40 above my expected $60 budget xD

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ugh. I've been looking at the mechanical drawings for the PSUs...

Is there really any point in having a modular power supply if I'm going to use 7/8 of the cables provided ? ==" That leaves me with 1 spare cable to take out..

Where as if I go with the PCP&C non-modular PSU... I'll be using 6/8 cables, leaving me with 2 to hide... damn.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Well I really just pulled $60 outta nowhere.

I just keep an eye out for sales and I've found that a 'decent' 750W power supply can be had for $60 (such as, the three PSUs I listed in the original post).

I came to the forum to ask if there were any other power supplies around the same price (or cheaper) I should consider for my purposes. If not, I'm perfectly happy with the ones I listed, they have all the connections and the recommendations that I need to be satisfied.

Of course, I could buy something better. There is always something better, at a price... which is not the point of this thread. Or else I would've bought a 1000W+ Seasonic already.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
They are the same PSUs, same SKU and I did mention somewhere that I they could be purchased for $60. I just didn't bother to search for each specific one until you asked, I'm not one to keep track of every single sale in the PC world. So I came here to ask if anyone else encountered a better deal/value for a PSU, which I might have missed (most likely).

Exactly my point, you see :)
From $130, down to $60. More than 50% in savings!!!