Sign in with
Your question

Cmputer wont properly boot until GPU is swapped

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 5:47:46 PM

New to this forum and not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I searched for a while and couldn't find a problem like the one I'm having.
Here's my rig:
ASrock p67 extreme 4
Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Rosewill 1000w

I have had this Rig for about a year before encountering any problems. My problem is whenever I try to play games that should run easily on my system like WoW on low settings my computer will reboot. When it reboots its as if the motherboard doesn't work. Keyboard and mouse receive no power, no display shows on the monitors, but fans all run. If I swap out my GPU it will boot normally until I try to play a game and it reboots.

Ive tried booting with individual sticks of ram and it behaves the same. I have tested my PSU with a friends PSU tester and everything came up normal. My CPU and GPU are running at normal temps and the crash happens as soon as I open games so they have no chance to ramp up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 7:14:35 PM

Did you re-install your GPU drivers? Do a clean install and report back.
m
l
a c 558 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 7:21:22 PM

What is the Rosewill power supply's model number?
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 7:45:57 PM

trapper said:
Did you re-install your GPU drivers? Do a clean install and report back.

I will do that now.
ko888 said:
What is the Rosewill power supply's model number?

RBR1000-M
m
l
May 4, 2012 8:34:09 PM

After reinstalling my drivers I booted with my regular card and everything went fine until it rebooted like normal but now I can't get it to boot with my regular 6970 at all. I can get it to boot with my alternate card (a GeForce 8600GT) with the same restarts if I put it under stress like before.
m
l
!