riamu1993

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hi. I'm having a problem where I get very high fps but I can still tell that there is a slight lag in all the games I play. I turned vsyc on to no avail. Got my 7970 replaced to no avail. So it's definitely not the gpu. What I'm experiencing is a slight stutter of pretty much everything. If I turn the graphics down to low the same problem persists. What do you guys think it is?

My rig:
i7 2600
Sapphire radeon hd 7970
h67 motherboard (sucks)
8gb ram
1 tb hardrive

The 7970 had a ton of problems on the Catalyst 12.2 driver release, full support wasn't there. Please make sure that you're running Catalyst 12.4 and have the latest firmware on your H67 motherboard as well as on the GPU itself. Also, I've had to play with the underscan/overscan on several displays (not restricted to the 7 series). Also install the latest Intel chipset drivers and AHCI drivers as these are necessary to properly configure peripheral devices.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It very possibly could be the gateway HDD. If they can cut corners to save a buck on something that isn't marketing-worthy, they will; I had a laptop years ago (from HP) where the system specs were good but the HDD was so cheap it wound up being nearly unusable. (my UT2k4 load times were 3 times that of my friend with a two year older laptop with significantly lower specs).

I would try running a benchmark program (sorry, I can't help with which one) or get the windows experience scores for the hdd.