Returning to normal XP desktop colors/theme

February 24, 2005 11:28:51 PM

It's amazing how frustrating the most simple and trivial problem can
sometimes be. A recent newsletter from Microsoft contained a link to a
desktop theme I thought I would try "just for fun". Well, I did not really
care for it and wished to return to the standard XP theme and color scheme,
which I could do except for one thing: the very bottom of the screen (i.e.,
the start button, quick-launch, task bar, system tray areas) are now bandaid
beige instead of their previous dark blue. While admittedly somewhat easier
on the eyes than the original dark blue, I really want to get things back the
way they had been. I've tried control panel, display, appearance, to modify
the screen buttons, and when I do, the color drains from the screen and then
a small window opens up in the center, dark blue with the multi-colored
Windows logo, and says "please wait". At this point, the system just seems
to hang. Can anyone offer any help on how to get things back to the way they
were ? Thanks.
February 25, 2005 4:18:25 AM

Hi,

Without knowing more and if you are running Pro:

Start/Run: services.msc
Scroll down to Themes and set to Automatic/Started.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"hardy" <hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 157E5FA-79F9-486D-BFE5-77BADE328228@microsoft.com...
> It's amazing how frustrating the most simple and trivial problem can
> sometimes be. A recent newsletter from Microsoft contained a link to a
> desktop theme I thought I would try "just for fun". Well, I did not
> really
> care for it and wished to return to the standard XP theme and color
> scheme,
> which I could do except for one thing: the very bottom of the screen
> (i.e.,
> the start button, quick-launch, task bar, system tray areas) are now
> bandaid
> beige instead of their previous dark blue. While admittedly somewhat
> easier
> on the eyes than the original dark blue, I really want to get things back
> the
> way they had been. I've tried control panel, display, appearance, to
> modify
> the screen buttons, and when I do, the color drains from the screen and
> then
> a small window opens up in the center, dark blue with the multi-colored
> Windows logo, and says "please wait". At this point, the system just
> seems
> to hang. Can anyone offer any help on how to get things back to the way
> they
> were ? Thanks.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:18:26 AM

Hello Kelly. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I'm running XP Pro SP2;
I'm not sure what else you might need to know. Followed your suggestion and
found Themes was already started and set to automatic. Attempted restarting
it without producing any change. I've compared things on another machine and
it appears that in Display/Appearance/Windows & Buttons I am stuck in the
Classic view. On this other machine I can change back and forth from Classic
to Windows XP, however on the machine with the problem whenever I attempt to
change to Windows XP, the machine hangs. I am fearful that I've corrupted
something.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Without knowing more and if you are running Pro:
>
> Start/Run: services.msc
> Scroll down to Themes and set to Automatic/Started.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "hardy" <hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 157E5FA-79F9-486D-BFE5-77BADE328228@microsoft.com...
> > It's amazing how frustrating the most simple and trivial problem can
> > sometimes be. A recent newsletter from Microsoft contained a link to a
> > desktop theme I thought I would try "just for fun". Well, I did not
> > really
> > care for it and wished to return to the standard XP theme and color
> > scheme,
> > which I could do except for one thing: the very bottom of the screen
> > (i.e.,
> > the start button, quick-launch, task bar, system tray areas) are now
> > bandaid
> > beige instead of their previous dark blue. While admittedly somewhat
> > easier
> > on the eyes than the original dark blue, I really want to get things back
> > the
> > way they had been. I've tried control panel, display, appearance, to
> > modify
> > the screen buttons, and when I do, the color drains from the screen and
> > then
> > a small window opens up in the center, dark blue with the multi-colored
> > Windows logo, and says "please wait". At this point, the system just
> > seems
> > to hang. Can anyone offer any help on how to get things back to the way
> > they
> > were ? Thanks.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:33:48 AM

Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Without knowing more and if you are running Pro:
>
> Start/Run: services.msc
> Scroll down to Themes and set to Automatic/Started.

If you don't mind, I would like to jump in here because I have a
very similar problem. Running XP Home/SP2. The system freezes
when I try to change from the classic theme to the Win XP (luna)
theme. The theme service was disabled (can't imagine why), so I
restarted it and it is now set to automatic. Still no joy.

Are there any other services that are involved in themes?

What are the files that make up the luna theme and which folders
should they be in?

Thanks for listening