Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade:I have a gateway FX4710-UB802A and the video card needs repla

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 6:08:04 PM

im not sure what im supposed to write here
a b Î Nvidia
a c 140 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:13:34 PM

That is where you would normally type what you currently do with your system and what you want to be able to do with the graphics card upgrade. It would also be beneficial is you listed the specifications of your current system (found here btw) as well as the power supply wattage. Also include a budget.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:21:51 PM

thank you, my problem is that I have a Gateway FX4710-UB802A Desktop and ive been getting a "no signal" message when I start my computer. I have been told that my card may either be loose or just bad now. I would like to change it out but I dont know where it is inside my cpu. Should I just change it out? If so, is there a tutorial i could watch? thank you
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 140 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:34:45 PM

You need to determine where the fault lies first.

Check to make sure all the connections are secure. Looking at the image of the back of your computer (found here), the cable from your monitor should be connected to the one of the two white ports (DVI) in the top, horizontal slots. Make sure that these connections are tight and turn on your system.

If you still get the "no signal" message on your monitor, shut down your system and monitor again. Disconnect the DVI cable and (if you can), connect your monitor to the PC using a VGA cable (this cable should have a blue head and connects to the blue port just below where your keyboard and mouse connect). Again, try to power up the system.

Follow these steps and report back.

We're not at the point of replacing your graphics card, but if you're curious, try YouTube and search for "How to install a graphics card".

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:45:34 PM

I have the same rig, I think.

You have to do a few things:

1) make sure the monitor cable is on right
2) open your case and read what kind of watts you power supply has. (I think you have a 350-400 watt psu in there)
3) If you want to just get a card to replace you can try and find a gts 250 or you can upgrade but your power supple will hold you back.

budget?
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:01:00 PM

i can spend about 100 dollars
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:14:33 PM

Wolfshadw said:
You need to determine where the fault lies first.

Check to make sure all the connections are secure. Looking at the image of the back of your computer (found here), the cable from your monitor should be connected to the one of the two white ports (DVI) in the top, horizontal slots. Make sure that these connections are tight and turn on your system.

If you still get the "no signal" message on your monitor, shut down your system and monitor again. Disconnect the DVI cable and (if you can), connect your monitor to the PC using a VGA cable (this cable should have a blue head and connects to the blue port just below where your keyboard and mouse connect). Again, try to power up the system.

Follow these steps and report back.

We're not at the point of replacing your graphics card, but if you're curious, try YouTube and search for "How to install a graphics card".

-Wolf sends

ok I have a blue vga cable and i have actually bought a new one just in case it was the cable, sometimes the comp will stay ok for 25 minutes before it freezes and I get the dots and dashes on my monitor, other times it will stay on for 2 or three hours. i made sure they were good and tight. I opened up the side of it for the first time ever and im in Oz. I'm reasonably intelligent but it doesn't look the same inside as other specs illustrations I've seen. I bought it from someone who was clearly a whiz at this stuff but I think he changed things around in there and it looks different than the pics I've seen.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:30:18 PM

also, on a different subject, there isnt a dvd drive in this, what should i get? Super Multi Format DVD+/-RW DL with LabelFlash, is what the side panel says.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 140 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 8:24:58 PM

Ok. If you're using the blue VGA cable, I'm assuming it's connected to the blue port just below where you connect your Keyboard and Mouse, correct?

If so, do you not see the white two DVI ports in the top horizontal ports (reference back to the image I linked)?

The issue you're describing sounds like your system is over-heating and may just need a good cleaning. When you looked inside the computer, did you notice a lot of accumulated dust on fans? Are the fans spinning when the system is turned on?

-Wolf sends

P.S. I'll be offline for a few hours but will check back in later this evening.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 9:15:43 PM

vbrownx1 said:
ok I have a blue vga cable and i have actually bought a new one just in case it was the cable, sometimes the comp will stay ok for 25 minutes before it freezes and I get the dots and dashes on my monitor, other times it will stay on for 2 or three hours. i made sure they were good and tight. I opened up the side of it for the first time ever and im in Oz. I'm reasonably intelligent but it doesn't look the same inside as other specs illustrations I've seen. I bought it from someone who was clearly a whiz at this stuff but I think he changed things around in there and it looks different than the pics I've seen.

My Mobo went down on me last year and I had a power loop issue. Wolf seems like he is on track about the heat as possible issue. That case is small and has no case fans. The CPU cooler has a cone that will draw air in but that is about it. If there has been alteration it would be nice to know what was done.

Find the power supply and look at the label. Take a pic and post it if you can.
If you have the CPU cone cooler, it can get very dusty but you can clean it. Do not remove the cone alone to check. The cone is on a bracket that comes off the heat sink rather easy.

Make sure you ground your self before messing with the inside. Work on a table and try and stay off carpet.

As for a new card, Radeon HD 7750 is a safe bet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you have the Power, (400 Watt PSU) 550ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:03:47 AM

loops said:
My Mobo went down on me last year and I had a power loop issue. Wolf seems like he is on track about the heat as possible issue. That case is small and has no case fans. The CPU cooler has a cone that will draw air in but that is about it. If there has been alteration it would be nice to know what was done.

Find the power supply and look at the label. Take a pic and post it if you can.
If you have the CPU cone cooler, it can get very dusty but you can clean it. Do not remove the cone alone to check. The cone is on a bracket that comes off the heat sink rather easy.

Make sure you ground your self before messing with the inside. Work on a table and try and stay off carpet.

As for a new card, Radeon HD 7750 is a safe bet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you have the Power, (400 Watt PSU) 550ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im not sure how to upload pictures here but I took a couple of really good ones. and you are correct about the power supply being 400 watt PSU
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 1:18:31 AM

550 ti is a good call for that rig of yours. A optical drive is not all that important pick one under 20 bucks with good reviews.

enjoy
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:28:26 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Ok. If you're using the blue VGA cable, I'm assuming it's connected to the blue port just below where you connect your Keyboard and Mouse, correct?

If so, do you not see the white two DVI ports in the top horizontal ports (reference back to the image I linked)?

The issue you're describing sounds like your system is over-heating and may just need a good cleaning. When you looked inside the computer, did you notice a lot of accumulated dust on fans? Are the fans spinning when the system is turned on?

-Wolf sends

P.S. I'll be offline for a few hours but will check back in later this evening.

Hi wolf just a quick note to say that im not really sure what Im looking at when I look inside this cpu. If i were to send you pictures do you think you could tell me what the previous owner did and what i need to do to replace the video card...please?
jamie
m
l
!