Solved

Treating myself to new (and first build) comp!

Hello everyone! My first post here. I would like some opinions and critiques on a new (and my first) build.

A little background, I've always been interested in computers and gadgets, but was always afraid of building one myself. I have friends who built my previous computers for me while I watched. My current set up is an Intel i7-920 CPU, 6 Gig RAM, XFX 6870 gfx, Corsair 750w PSU all in Antec 300 case. I'll be giving this to my younger brother who really needs it.

I've always kept myself in the price range of $1200+, but now that I've been working a lot of overtime, I thought I'd treat myself to something a little more high end performance. I've done a lot of research in the past week or so, so please any opinions and help would be appreciated. I'm not an overclocker, nor am I interested in SLI/Crossfire.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
Media: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD
CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
GFX Option 1: EVGA GeForce GTX 680
GFX Option 2: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 800W

All this in the cart with couple combo savings came out to $1,897.89. Although, I haven't really decided on which graphics card I should go; in my research there wasn't much difference in the two. Well there you have it folks!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about treating build comp
  1. A gaming rig ?
  2. Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to mention what I do mostly. Yes this will be a gaming rig. I play BF3, SC2, D3, MW3 etc.
  3. Best answer
    won_chulupa said:
    Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to mention what I do mostly. Yes this will be a gaming rig. I play BF3, SC2, D3, MW3 etc.


    For a gaming rig 8 GB of DDR 3 1600 will do and a i5 3570K, if your not going to OC or sli IMO i would look for a cheaper MoBo and a 550 W PSU ( you are over spending on thos parts. and the money saved could be used else wares.

    The GTX 670 VS 680 is about 7 % not really worth the 100 bucks


    Also if your not OCing no need for the EVO
  4. Niklas_13 said:
    For a gaming rig 8 GB of DDR 3 1600 will do and a i5 3570K, if your not going to OC or sli IMO i would look for a cheaper MoBo and a 550 W PSU ( you are over spending on thos parts. and the money saved could be used else wares.

    The GTX 670 VS 680 is about 7 % not really worth the 100 bucks


    Also if your not OCing no need for the EVO



    Well, I meant to splurge a little on this build, but I guess it was too much. What Mobo and PSU would you recommend? I agree with you on the 670 vs 680, just wanted some reassurance.

    But if price wasn't an issue, would this current build work well with each other?

    Thanks for the fast response btw~
  5. Honestly all you need is a new GPU - your CPU is still awesome.
  6. won_chulupa said:
    Well, I meant to splurge a little on this build, but I guess it was too much. What Mobo and PSU would you recommend? I agree with you on the 670 vs 680, just wanted some reassurance.

    But if price wasn't an issue, would this current build work well with each other?

    Thanks for the fast response btw~


    The i7 16 Gb Ram would be more for a Photoshop, rendering 3D, Auto CAD type stuff

    If you really don,t want to leave the door open to sli you can look at a MoBo like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546 its a single PCI E 3.0 with 4 x SATA 6Gb/s

    Or a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128543 With 1 PCI E 3.0 and 2 X SATA 6Gb/s
  7. FinneousPJ said:
    Honestly all you need is a new GPU - your CPU is still awesome.


    Haha thanks, but I am giving my old comp to my younger brother. He still has a crappy dell desktop.
  8. Niklas_13 said:
    The i7 16 Gb Ram would be more for a Photoshop, rendering 3D, Auto CAD type stuff

    If you really don,t want to leave the door open to sli you can look at a MoBo like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546 its a single PCI E 3.0 with 4 x SATA 6Gb/s

    Or a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128543 With 1 PCI E 3.0 and 2 X SATA 6Gb/s


    I will check those out!
  9. Best answer selected by won_chulupa.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product