June 28, 2012 3:47:48 PM

Hey guys,

just finished my first build and was getting everything set up. My build is:

Mobo - Asus p8z77v-pro
CPU - i5 3570k - 4.4ghz oc with hyper 212evo cooling it
GPU - MSI R7870 Hawk
PSU - Corsair TX650V2
RAM - Corsair Vengeance low profile 8GB 1600mhz

So I got my build all done, it went well, no hiccups. Got backups of system files done etc. when I turned it on for the first time.

Then i decided i wanted to OC my CPU, I did get a k version after all. That went fine, I used the CPU tweak utility in the asus ai suite ii. Prime95 ran for 12 hours fine with temps not above 80, figured i had it nailed. I believe the voltages were something around 1.3 if that matters at all.

Then I went onto my GPU. Ran Unigine DX11 benchmark just to see the initial performance. After 5 mins or so, my screen went black for a few seconds (sounds still playing etc), followed by a system crash. When I tuned the PC back on, I heard a faint crackling noise, followed by a strong smell of burning, and puled the plug out instantly. the room still stinks of it. Now when I turn on my pc, it runs fine, boots into windows with no errors etc. for about 5 mins before powering off again. I should clarify, I've not OCed the GPU, however I believe it does come with a factory OC.

I've done an inspection of the internals and can't see any obvious signs of burning, no scorch marks or anything, having said that, I'm new to this, so I could be missing something. Also, certain components such as the PSU and the GPU dont lend themselves to inspection with their large covers and heat sinks.

I'm assuming it's a GPU related issue as everything was fine and dandy before I started stressing it, but any advice or tips on how to nail down the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
June 28, 2012 4:08:17 PM

Since you suspect that your GPU is to blame, remove it and run on the integrated video. Put it through a bunch of benchmarks/stress tests on the integrated. If the computer keeps crashing then it's probably not the GPU eh?

Edit: And set your CPU back to stock settings while troubleshooting your problem.
June 28, 2012 4:34:10 PM

It seems like you have a very good computer, I do not understand why people have to overclock just to gain a few FPS. You
stress something out and obviously you computer didn't like it, you are luckly that your computer booted back up. If I were
you I would put everything back to default and leave it alone because next time it my just finish the job.

My Computer:
Antec 300 case
Corsair 750 watt psu
Corsair Vengence 16 gigs DDR 3 1600
Asus z68-v gen 3 mobo
2 XFX Radeon 7750 in crossfire
2 1tb WD blacks

It runs great and do not OC anything.
Related resources
June 28, 2012 4:42:48 PM

ebbote59 said:
It seems like you have a very good computer, I do not understand why people have to overclock just to gain a few FPS. You
stress something out and obviously you computer didn't like it, you are luckly that your computer booted back up. If I were
you I would put everything back to default and leave it alone because next time it my just finish the job.

My Computer:
Antec 300 case
Corsair 750 watt psu
Corsair Vengence 16 gigs DDR 3 1600
Asus z68-v gen 3 mobo
2 XFX Radeon 7750 in crossfire
2 1tb WD blacks

It runs great and do not OC anything.

A post that doesn't answer a question should not be posted at all.

@OP: I would first try to see where the smell is coming from. Try sniffing around the case, and if necessary, remove the components to get a better whiff.
June 28, 2012 4:53:01 PM

eddieroolz said:
A post that doesn't answer a question should not be posted at all.

@OP: I would first try to see where the smell is coming from. Try sniffing around the case, and if necessary, remove the components to get a better whiff.

I did not see you identifying the problem, I have been building computers for 20 years and worked in a computer store for 3
years, I think I know something about computers. The guy said there was no obvious damage to his computer. So if you
can identify the problem go for it.
June 28, 2012 4:54:40 PM

ebbote59 said:
I did not see you identifying the problem, I have been building computers for 20 years and worked in a computer store for 3
years, I think I know something about computers. The guy said there was no obvious damage to his computer. So if you
can identify the problem go for it.

Impressive history, but all you did was chide his decision to overclock. There's a reason to the overclock-friendly parts that he bought.

I suggested that he try to isolate the source of that burning smell. At least it's a start.
June 28, 2012 5:18:24 PM

eddieroolz said:
Impressive history, but all you did was chide his decision to overclock. There's a reason to the overclock-friendly parts that he bought.

I suggested that he try to isolate the source of that burning smell. At least it's a start.

I didn't chide anything, he has already damaged his computer and if he keeps going he will finish the job. He asked for help
and I tried to oblige. The reason I said what I did is because it cold cause a domino effect and destroy other components.
I think it is the MOBO and probably a capacitor---------from overclocking.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2012 6:47:45 PM

take a look at the power plugs going into the video card. see if any of the pins are discolored or darker. or any of the wires look burnt or are warm. i would look at the back side of the video card where the power plugs in and see if any of the video card voltage regs fried. on the mb look at the back side of the mb. most time if the voltage reg fails on a mb it fry the back of the board.
June 28, 2012 6:57:36 PM

Hey, I'm back after doing a few hours of stress testing. got some results

Stock CPU + iGPU = Stable, not going past 50 degrees even under prime95, runs graphics benchamark fine.

The graphics card does have a strong smell of burning around it, especially when i compare the card on its own to the inside of my case which has been aired out since the incident.

I tried stock CPU speed + card, but now when the card is inserted, it refuses to boot. Still works fine on the iGPU though.

Still can't see any sort of noticeable damage, although the card has a backplate on, which makes observation a little tricky.

It would seem to me that the card is busted, would that seem like a logical conclusion? correct me if there is something I've overlooked, I'm not an expert on power delivery to the various components (ie. could a faulty MB component cause the card to blow?).

Providing it is the card, could overclocking the CPU have caused this damage? or have I just been given a faulty card which couldn't cope with a unigine run at stock speeds?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2012 7:07:31 PM

sound like on the video card there was a marginal voltage reg. when you stressed the card to it max the voltage reg failed.
on most stock gpu cards so that there not called a "thermal runaway" when you stresses a gpu or cpu to 100 percent the bios and drivers should see that the card is being stressed..after a set time or temp the card bios has a set power profile to save the card the gpu should have clocked the ram and gpu down...you saw the error of the card failing with the lock up and blue screen.
when you powered the computer the card input reg may have been heat stressed and the voltage spike may have cause them to pop.
June 28, 2012 7:25:29 PM

Do you know anybody with a computer where you can test your gpu, if it is okay then it boils down to your PSU or mobo, I
would bet that it is your mobo, if you can RMA it do so and start over again. Your processor is a 3.4 and you oc'd it to 4.4,
that is probably where the problem came from.
June 28, 2012 7:56:07 PM

A 4.4GHz overclock on the CPU will not cause a graphic card to fail. That's just ludicrous. Unless the PCI-e frequency was tied to his automatic overclock, a simple CPU overclock doesn't even touch anywhere near the GPU.
June 28, 2012 8:50:33 PM

eddieroolz said:
A 4.4GHz overclock on the CPU will not cause a graphic card to fail. That's just ludicrous. Unless the PCI-e frequency was tied to his automatic overclock, a simple CPU overclock doesn't even touch anywhere near the GPU.

Here we go again, did you read my post, I never even suggested it was the gpu, I said I thought it was the psu or mobo, I
still think it is the mobo, yes the cpu may not affect the video cards but it does affect the pci express lanes. For him to elimi-
nate his gpu is to test on another computer.
June 28, 2012 9:03:38 PM

ebbote59 said:
Here we go again, did you read my post, I never even suggested it was the gpu, I said I thought it was the psu or mobo, I
still think it is the mobo, yes the cpu may not affect the video cards but it does affect the pci express lanes. For him to elimi-
nate his gpu is to test on another computer.

Did you read his post? He said iGPU works fine. If it was a problem with the PSU or motherboard, do you think it will even start up in the first place?

June 28, 2012 9:08:41 PM

That GPU is overclock friendly. I suspect you just got a bad one that stress testing killed. It wouldn't hurt to try to test the GPU in another machine, if you can.
June 28, 2012 9:40:37 PM

eddieroolz said:
Did you read his post? He said iGPU works fine. If it was a problem with the PSU or motherboard, do you think it will even start up in the first place?

You know Eddie you have eliminate the possibilty of it being the mobo, psu, video card or cpu, so his computer should be
working just fine, but it isn't. I have not seen any input from you as to what may be the problem, so lets have it. The floor
is yours.
June 29, 2012 1:17:31 PM

ebbote59 said:
You know Eddie you have eliminate the possibilty of it being the mobo, psu, video card or cpu, so his computer should be
working just fine, but it isn't. I have not seen any input from you as to what may be the problem, so lets have it. The floor
is yours.

I didn't eliminate his GPU. Read the posts. I simply rebuffed that CPU overclock will cause GPU to fail.
June 29, 2012 1:39:16 PM

eddieroolz said:
I didn't eliminate his GPU. Read the posts. I simply rebuffed that CPU overclock will cause GPU to fail.

You didn't say much of anything accept argue with me. I never said it was the GPU, I said it might be the pci-e slots because
THEY ARE CONTROLLED by the CPU. That is why I asked him to try his video card on another computer, the on-board video
is independent of the pci-e slots.
June 29, 2012 1:52:15 PM

ebbote59 said:
You didn't say much of anything accept argue with me. I never said it was the GPU, I said it might be the pci-e slots because
THEY ARE CONTROLLED by the CPU. That is why I asked him to try his video card on another computer, the on-board video
is independent of the pci-e slots.

Interestingly, the first mention of PCI-e came from me as well.

Also, indeed the PCI-e frequency can be modified by BCLK changes and auto overclocking options. Hopefully OP did use the auto overclock options.

In the end we just have to see when the OP returns with more information about his tests.
June 29, 2012 3:27:21 PM

eddieroolz said:
Interestingly, the first mention of PCI-e came from me as well.

Also, indeed the PCI-e frequency can be modified by BCLK changes and auto overclocking options. Hopefully OP did use the auto overclock options.

In the end we just have to see when the OP returns with more information about his tests.

Thankyou, we are finally in ageement, doesn't mean we are right but it's a step forward.
June 29, 2012 4:30:28 PM

ebbote59 said:
Thankyou, we are finally in ageement, doesn't mean we are right but it's a step forward.

Ebotte, not only do I disagree with what you're saying related to computer components, you have to seriously stop flaming others, forcing your preferences on others and stick to the topic from the start.

@cwnicol - It could be that you've received a faulty GPU, or that you may have damaged it during installation.

It could also be that your PSU is not gibing enough power to your GPU, as GPU's require the most power.
Also when you overclock your CPU will draw more power too.

I've got the same PSU as you and have had no problems, but I haven't gotten around to overclocking yet.
!