Gold farmers? Noobs.

My total of 2 Stratholme runs and a total of an hour oustide the Blackrock
Stronghold: Beaststalker bracers, Beaststalker gloves, Lord Alexander's
Axe, some epic necklace (can't remember what it was called, Caywain?
Whatever) that I sold for 450 g and an epic one handed axe of the woods
thing, plus an assortment of greens, etc.

2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If my
luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.

700gp for an epic Mount ?
Last time I checked they were 900gp.

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> My total of 2 Stratholme runs and a total of an hour oustide the Blackrock
> Stronghold: Beaststalker bracers, Beaststalker gloves, Lord Alexander's
> Axe, some epic necklace (can't remember what it was called, Caywain?
> Whatever) that I sold for 450 g and an epic one handed axe of the woods
> thing, plus an assortment of greens, etc.

Nice! I'm not far off 60 but I think it's much easier to make money at 60
than lower levels. Most of the queries about getting gold are from level 40
(or lower) characters wanting to buy their first mount.

> 2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If
> my luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.

*Rubs the top of Porl's foot* :D

"3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com> wrote in message

> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> My total of 2 Stratholme runs and a total of an hour oustide the
>> Blackrock Stronghold: Beaststalker bracers, Beaststalker gloves, Lord
>> Alexander's Axe, some epic necklace (can't remember what it was called,
>> Caywain? Whatever) that I sold for 450 g and an epic one handed axe of
>> the woods thing, plus an assortment of greens, etc.
>
> Nice! I'm not far off 60 but I think it's much easier to make money at 60
> than lower levels. Most of the queries about getting gold are from level
> 40 (or lower) characters wanting to buy their first mount.
>
>> 2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If
>> my luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.
>
> *Rubs the top of Porl's foot* :D

Not quite as impressive rareity wise, but I had 3 green items drop from 3
subsequent lesser rock elementals yesterday. This was after I had killed
only one as part of a quest and I was thinking I'd found a magical area
where green drops were pretty much 90%.

Of course, 1 hr later and still grinding to get 10 small stone chips wiped
the smile off my face :)

Rich GK wrote:
> "3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com> wrote in message
>
>>"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My total of 2 Stratholme runs and a total of an hour oustide the
>>>Blackrock Stronghold: Beaststalker bracers, Beaststalker gloves, Lord
>>>Alexander's Axe, some epic necklace (can't remember what it was called,
>>>Caywain? Whatever) that I sold for 450 g and an epic one handed axe of
>>>the woods thing, plus an assortment of greens, etc.
>>
>>Nice! I'm not far off 60 but I think it's much easier to make money at 60
>>than lower levels. Most of the queries about getting gold are from level
>>40 (or lower) characters wanting to buy their first mount.
>>

>>>2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If
>>>my luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.
>>
>>*Rubs the top of Porl's foot* :D
>>

> Not quite as impressive rareity wise, but I had 3 green items drop from 3
> subsequent lesser rock elementals yesterday. This was after I had killed
> only one as part of a quest and I was thinking I'd found a magical area
> where green drops were pretty much 90%.
>
> Of course, 1 hr later and still grinding to get 10 small stone chips wiped
> the smile off my face :)

Is that in Arathi Highlands? Circle of innerbinding? That's a good place
for leatherworkers to find Deeprock Salt. I created some 16slot Quivers
which sold really good. But you need the salt to cure thick hide.

I have just earned my first mount today. At lvl 41. But that's because
of an epic drop "Fiery Axe". This enabled to equip my hunter in +agi
mail and buy the mount. But now I'm back to broke :)

porl wrote:
> 2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If my
> luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.

You'd probably get the better deal on Kalimdor. Sure it's
a dump, but talk about "fixer-uppers"...

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-05-06, J.D. Spangler <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't those things normally drop every other time? I sometimes
wonder if
> > Blizzard's got a drop weighting program running that looks at your
quests and
> > the closer you get to collecting X of an item, the more it scales
back the
> > chance of actually getting it dropped.
>
> Waste of time and processing power. You might as well just set a
> low fixed drop rate. You will achieve the same effect.

Not the same effect, though. F'rinstance, Redridge quest needs you to
collect rivets and pikes from gnolls. 5 of each. First 2 or 3 of each
will drop every other kill. Then you'll have to kill 4 to get one more
of the first item, and five to get the second.

Then it becomes six kills for one item. Ten more kills for the next.
And then when you have one last one to collect, suddenly the respawns
are the tougher kills. Patrols seem to walk faster and have an aggro
radius measured in kilometers.

Ten more kills. A death. Run back, little one, run back to your corpse!
Then finally, that last item drops, just as you've had enough and are
contemplating account cancellation. BECAUSE THEY'RE READING YOUR MIND
THROUGH THE MONITOR AND KNOW WHAT YOUR ABSOLUTE LIMIT IS! YES THEY ARE!
QUICK! GRAB THE TINFOIL, WE NEED HATS!

Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely to
remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*

--
Regards,
J.D. Spangler

In article <s8Gee.26257$G8.6906@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, me@wcvrk.net
says...

>"3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> My total of 2 Stratholme runs and a total of an hour oustide the
>>> Blackrock Stronghold: Beaststalker bracers, Beaststalker gloves, Lord
>>> Alexander's Axe, some epic necklace (can't remember what it was called,
>>> Caywain? Whatever) that I sold for 450 g and an epic one handed axe of
>>> the woods thing, plus an assortment of greens, etc.
>>
>> Nice! I'm not far off 60 but I think it's much easier to make money at 60
>> than lower levels. Most of the queries about getting gold are from level
>> 40 (or lower) characters wanting to buy their first mount.
>>
>>> 2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If
>>> my luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.
>>
>> *Rubs the top of Porl's foot* :D
>>

>Not quite as impressive rareity wise, but I had 3 green items drop from 3
>subsequent lesser rock elementals yesterday. This was after I had killed
>only one as part of a quest and I was thinking I'd found a magical area
>where green drops were pretty much 90%.
>
>Of course, 1 hr later and still grinding to get 10 small stone chips wiped
>the smile off my face :)

Don't those things normally drop every other time? I sometimes wonder if
Blizzard's got a drop weighting program running that looks at your quests and
the closer you get to collecting X of an item, the more it scales back the
chance of actually getting it dropped.

--
Regards,
J.D. Spangler,
hotshit Smart Alec 7th Grader Whom Just Learned to Cuss
http://www.ayrsayle.net
"Ideally someone's religion should have about as much importance
to me as what they had for breakfast. As long as they're not
regurgitating it on me I really shouldn't have to give a damn."

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-06, J.D. Spangler <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't those things normally drop every other time? I sometimes wonder if
> Blizzard's got a drop weighting program running that looks at your quests and
> the closer you get to collecting X of an item, the more it scales back the
> chance of actually getting it dropped.

Waste of time and processing power. You might as well just set a
low fixed drop rate. You will achieve the same effect.

but what would the blizz programmers do for fun then?

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, I mean other than crashing the servers.

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> 700gp for an epic Mount ?
> Last time I checked they were 900gp.

Clue: I wasn't starting from 0.

"Nathan Engle" <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote in message
> porl wrote:
>> 2 days ago I was wondering how I could make 700 gp for an epic mount. If
>> my luck holds out I'll be wondering which continent I should buy.
>
> You'd probably get the better deal on Kalimdor. Sure it's
> a dump, but talk about "fixer-uppers"...

But then you've got the goblin music from Winterspring drifting into your
windows at night.

I just don't think I could take that.

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> J.D. Spangler wrote:
> > Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely
> > remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
> > appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*
>
> Absolutely. Last night my group was hunting skullsplitter tusks in
> Stranglethorn Vale. I found three pretty fast while another player
> hadn't found any. But she ramped fast and collected all eighteen
> before I reached the halfway point. It took us another 60-90 minutes
> for me to get my supply, and I know I for one always feel bad for the
> groupmates--especially those who don't even have the quest, as two
> didn't in this case--who kindly stick around to help.

I hatehatehatehateHATE that quest.

--
Regards,
J.D. Spangler

J.D. Spangler wrote:
> Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely to
> remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
> appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*

Absolutely. Last night my group was hunting skullsplitter tusks in
Stranglethorn Vale. I found three pretty fast while another player
hadn't found any. But she ramped fast and collected all eighteen
before I reached the halfway point. It took us another 60-90 minutes
for me to get my supply, and I know I for one always feel bad for the
groupmates--especially those who don't even have the quest, as two
didn't in this case--who kindly stick around to help.

At the same time, while I was 42 and the other player was a 38, I
would be very, very surprised if there was any explicit formula that
allocated her more tusks than me; it's simply the luck of the draw.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 8.9% us, 1.9% sy, 0.5% ni, 86.9% id, 1.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-06, J.D. Spangler <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> shadows wrote:
>> On 2005-05-06, J.D. Spangler <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Don't those things normally drop every other time? I sometimes
> wonder if
>> > Blizzard's got a drop weighting program running that looks at your
> quests and
>> > the closer you get to collecting X of an item, the more it scales
> back the
>> > chance of actually getting it dropped.
>>
>> Waste of time and processing power. You might as well just set a
>> low fixed drop rate. You will achieve the same effect.
>
> Not the same effect, though. F'rinstance, Redridge quest needs you to
> collect rivets and pikes from gnolls. 5 of each. First 2 or 3 of each
> will drop every other kill. Then you'll have to kill 4 to get one more
> of the first item, and five to get the second.

Perhaps everytime you find the item the percentage for drops is
affected by diminishing returns. My only point is the algorithm
does not have to be very complex.

> Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely to
> remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
> appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*

I've had it happen where I got 3 in a row at the end.

J.D. Spangler wrote:
> I hatehatehatehateHATE [the Skullsplitter Tusks] quest.

It's not a question of the trolls themselves; they respawn quite fast,
and there are plenty about, especially if you're willing to take on
the higher-level ones in nearby ruins. I don't even think the drop
rate is unusually low. Needing 18, however, makes it very
time-intensive.

Contrast this to the quest from Nijel's Point to kill 30 (!) undead in
southern Desolace. 30 is a lot, but they respawn unbelievably fast,
there's no need for random drops, and the whole process goes fast with
or without the Paladins' Exorcism.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 8.9% us, 1.9% sy, 0.5% ni, 86.9% id, 1.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si
Mem: 515800k total, 480996k used, 34804k free, 8324k buffers
Swap: 3052208k total, 3052208k used, 0k free, 48004k cached

rene

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> J.D. Spangler wrote:
> > Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely to
> > remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
> > appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*
>
> Absolutely. Last night my group was hunting skullsplitter tusks in
> Stranglethorn Vale. I found three pretty fast while another player
> hadn't found any. But she ramped fast and collected all eighteen
> before I reached the halfway point. It took us another 60-90 minutes
> for me to get my supply, and I know I for one always feel bad for the
> groupmates--especially those who don't even have the quest, as two
> didn't in this case--who kindly stick around to help.
>
> At the same time, while I was 42 and the other player was a 38, I
> would be very, very surprised if there was any explicit formula that
> allocated her more tusks than me; it's simply the luck of the draw.

You do realize that the drop of quest item is completely random just like
everything else, do you? There is no algorithm. There is a drop percentage
and that's that.

I must admit though that I get far better results getting quest items in a
group (and only in a group) when "need before greed" is on. I then get the
q item even if the kill is someone's else in the group (as in grouploot
loot order).

So hunt these in groups with need before greed and it takes less time. Or
do it solo. But there's no algorithm to beat here.

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Rene wrote:
> > At the same time, while I was 42 and the other player was a 38, I
> > would be very, very surprised if there was any explicit formula
> > that allocated her more tusks than me; it's simply the luck of the
> > draw.
>
> You do realize that the drop of quest item is completely random just
> like everything else, do you? There is no algorithm. There is a drop
> percentage and that's that.

Please read what I wrote over again. You are not contradicting me at all.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 8.8% us, 1.9% sy, 0.5% ni, 86.9% id, 1.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

Rene wrote:
> I must admit though that I get far better results getting quest items in a
> group (and only in a group) when "need before greed" is on. I then get the
> q item even if the kill is someone's else in the group (as in grouploot
> loot order).
>
> So hunt these in groups with need before greed and it takes less time. Or
> do it solo. But there's no algorithm to beat here.

You get the quest item even if the kill is someone's else in the group
in Group Loot mode too.

Cheers!
David...

rene

David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
> Rene wrote:
> > I must admit though that I get far better results getting quest items
> > in a group (and only in a group) when "need before greed" is on. I then
> > get the q item even if the kill is someone's else in the group (as in
> > grouploot loot order).
> >
> > So hunt these in groups with need before greed and it takes less time.
> > Or do it solo. But there's no algorithm to beat here.
>
> You get the quest item even if the kill is someone's else in the group
> in Group Loot mode too.

Yes I know, but it seems to be far better when turned on. Just try it out
sometime!

In article <3e1qddFpnnnU1@individual.net>,
"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote:

> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > 700gp for an epic Mount ?
> > Last time I checked they were 900gp.

> Clue: I wasn't starting from 0.

Wait, wait... don't tell me...!

You already had 72g saved up?

<G>

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

In article <slrnd7nbpi.302f.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>,
shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

> On 2005-05-06, J.D. Spangler <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't those things normally drop every other time? I sometimes wonder if
> > Blizzard's got a drop weighting program running that looks at your quests
> > and
> > the closer you get to collecting X of an item, the more it scales back the
> > chance of actually getting it dropped.

> Waste of time and processing power. You might as well just set a
> low fixed drop rate. You will achieve the same effect.

Not even close.

If the person needs 10 of something, and you make the first 3 drop
every-other -- he's hooked. Then the next 3 drop 20%, he's still making
progress. #7-9 drop every 9%, and it's frustrating, but he's almost
there. #10 drops 1% and it's a lot of work, but who's going to give up
when so close?!

This is basic people-handling -- hardly anything advanced.

If each piece just had a 4% drop, a lot of people would skip over it in
the first place, or buy from farmers.

NOTE: my example-system makes it easy to farm, if you're willing to
continually auction-off the first 5 items. But that's hardly a problem,
really.

--

"Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote in message
> In article <3e1qddFpnnnU1@individual.net>,
> "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > 700gp for an epic Mount ?
>> > Last time I checked they were 900gp.
>
>> Clue: I wasn't starting from 0.
>
> Wait, wait... don't tell me...!
>
> You already had 72g saved up?

Damn, you're *good* :)

* "J.D. Spangler" <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:

| Yeechang Lee wrote:
| > J.D. Spangler wrote:
| > > Or it could just be the psychological quirk that we're more likely
| > > remember the "patterns" that all random processes will eventually
| > > appear to display, especially the frustrating ones. *shrug*
| >
| > Absolutely. Last night my group was hunting skullsplitter tusks in
| > Stranglethorn Vale. I found three pretty fast while another player
| > hadn't found any. But she ramped fast and collected all eighteen
| > before I reached the halfway point. It took us another 60-90 minutes
| > for me to get my supply, and I know I for one always feel bad for the
| > groupmates--especially those who don't even have the quest, as two
| > didn't in this case--who kindly stick around to help.
|
| I hatehatehatehateHATE that quest.

Having spent half an hour killing 20-30 trolls and gaining only 4 tusks,
I reread the quest reward and then simply abandoned the quest. Not worth
the hassle in any way. I was at level 44 at the time, and could gain both
xp and money faster somewhere else.

--
Lars Haugseth

In article <87y8aoa3gx.fsf@fry.eiendomsnett.no>,
Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> wrote:

> * "J.D. Spangler" <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote:
> |
> | Yeechang Lee wrote:
> | >
> | > Absolutely. Last night my group was hunting skullsplitter tusks in
> | > Stranglethorn Vale. I found three pretty fast while another player
> | > hadn't found any. But she ramped fast and collected all eighteen
> | > before I reached the halfway point. It took us another 60-90 minutes
> | > for me to get my supply, and I know I for one always feel bad for the
> | > groupmates--especially those who don't even have the quest, as two
> | > didn't in this case--who kindly stick around to help.
> |
> | I hatehatehatehateHATE that quest.
>
> Having spent half an hour killing 20-30 trolls and gaining only 4 tusks,
> I reread the quest reward and then simply abandoned the quest. Not worth
> the hassle in any way. I was at level 44 at the time, and could gain both
> xp and money faster somewhere else.

I did'nt even try to work on that, I just got them completing the quest
for the skullsplitter totems, me and a guy I ran into in the area teamed
up, and just whacked skullsplitters all afternoon, the tusks and the
totems have to be the slowest drops I've run into yet, short of the one
for Morbent Fell where you have to farm the murlocks outside of Menethil
for bars of metal.

I was very glad to have it finished - and I leveled to 41 on those two
quests, so it was'nt all bad.