Dot Pitch, AG, ARGHH!!!!!

G

Why oh why can't there be a standard.
I want to see if there are any monitors that are equal to the Sony GMD F500R. But there are too many ways to say the same thing. You got Apeture Grill Pitch, Apeture Mask pitch, Horizontal dot pitch, Vertical dot pitch, then you got Hitachi's variable dot pitch which is slightly different from the standard Invar Shadow mask dot pitch. Arghh, I can't take it any more!
I know that other things make a monitor look good like convergence, focus, bandwidth, etc. but the I need to start somewhere. If only there was an easy way to just find out how many dots, line, whatever there are on a particular monitor. LIke they do with Rear projection screen TVs. (Not that they give you those specs half the time either).Some I need some enlightenment. Can I get the Sony F500R equivalent without paying 1200 dollars? 900~1000 would be fine.

Sincerely,
Orangepiel7

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Orangepiel7 on 07/18/01 00:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Manufacturers will always come up with methods of measuring quality that make their product seem better.

15 years ago a home printer's (dot-matrix or daisywheel) speed was measured in CPS (characters per second). Originally this was a valid statistical method until companies started thinking up ways to make their product seem faster.

It ended up with CPS being defined from the speed the printer could print spaces on a single line.

Meaningless.

Inkjets are no better, 5% coverage anyone?

Same with monitors. That's why dot-pitch isn't a standard (horizontal, vertical, variable, whatever). Each manufacturer hypes the one that suits them.

Forget it. With a printer, judge by your eyes and independant reviews.

Same with a monitor.

Forget the specifications.