Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTS 240 vs Radeon HD7750

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 8:14:38 PM

Hello,
I'm new to this site and a complete dumbass when it comes to the technical side of computing, so please bear with me if this is more of silly question than I think it might be.

I bought a Dell PC about 2 years ago that came with a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card. In the last 8 months or so when playing mmo's my monitor has gone into power save mode randomly. After a lot of internet searching I'm pretty sure this is down to the card overheating, as I have had the game settings too heat. This is also confirmed as when I lower the settings I don't have this problem. However, I would like to enjoy a higher level of graphics without replacing the whole PC (I mostly play your bog standard mmorpg's - wwo, swtor, tera etc). From research I've done the best single slot replacement card (has to be single slot due to the way Dell build their PC's) is VTX3D AMD Radeon HD7750 1GB.

Is this infact the case? I assumed it would be as the Radeon card is newer, but a lot of reviews mentioned how its a striped down version of other cards in that series. Does it matter for the type of games I play (which atm I run either on low or medium-low settings)? Basically I want to know if its a worthwhile upgrade or if I should just stick with what I have til I get a new machine (which won't be for another 2-3 years, assuming my current one lastly that long.

PS. I have cleaned out the PC (a first for me) which decreased the noise level, but didn't have a major impact on the power save mode problem.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 8:25:14 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

first of all, you can easily check if your GPU is overheating by measuring it's temperature with a program like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z.
If it's not heat, the PSU could be failing which is unlikely but possible.

The 7750 is the best single slot card that DOES NOT require a power connector. If you have a decent PSU, you could grab anything up to a 6850 in a single slot configuration. The 7750 is your best bet though.

The types of games you play matters a lot. If you play BF3, that's obviously going to require more power than Starcraft 2. Speaking of, which, could you give us your system specifications? CPU, RAM and PSU should do the trick.
May 4, 2012 8:39:33 PM

CPU - Intel Core i7-870 (2.93GHz, 8MB, L3 Cache)

RAM - 6144MB (2x2GB) (2x1GB) 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory

No idea what the PSU is (I literally copied the above info off the original invoice) but I assume its a standard one that probably couldn't handle a card that is power hungry. But putting aside what is actually causing the problem, is the Radeon card I mentioned a decent upgrade compared to the GeForce one I have? I don't play anything like BF3 it is mainly wow type stuff. The most it would have to deal with would be Guild Wars 2.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 8:45:55 PM

You have a great CPU. The 7750 sounds quite fine for you, as it actually has lower power consumption and substantially more power than a GT 240. It won't be a HUGE leap but you'll feel it for sure.

I'd still check and make sure the card you have is overheating before you upgrade. Just to make sure.
May 4, 2012 8:52:32 PM

Excellent. Thanks for all your help. Will check the overheating thing with one of the program you mentioned, but will probably go with the radeon card anyway. A bit of a boost is all I'm really looking for. Thanks again.
May 26, 2012 1:53:29 PM

Hi all,

Another newbie to the forums here.

I was looking to see if I could get some help in diagnosing what I believe is a video related problem. I have a newly built PC that has very little on it. So far I have only used it to play Diablo 3 (D3) and basic web surfing (mainly to update drivers ect).

Now I run a HDMI output from the external graphics card to my home theatre / tv. Problem is I experience times when I loose all video . Only time I have experienced this happen at times when I am playing D3 and there is no prior warning (i.e. funny colours, graphics playing up in general), and when this does happen I hear (what I assume is) the graphics card fan kick into overdrive. The computer otherwise seems to continue to operate, I can't see any funny lights from the tower, although there is no sound, but I assume that is because nothing is travelling along the HDMI cord.

I haven't been running the computer for long periods at a time, and I have seen this happen after 30min or 60min of play time, but then again I have also seen it not happen at all when I have been playing for 60min (not terribly consistent). Symptoms so far seem to indicate the graphics card overheating, so I have taken the side cover off the tower to allow complete air flow, but this still happens.

PC specifics are:

CPU: AMDFX-4100 Quad Core
Video: AMD Radeon HD 7770
Motherboard: GA78LMT-S2P
RAM:4gig DDR3
PSU: not sure how to report this, the max combined wattage on the unit says 230w, there are a bunch of other numbers for different areas. If anyone needs more info, let me know what you need and I can supply it.

Thanks for the help!
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 2:28:32 AM

Hey SMK,

why don't you make a new thread with your problem? You might garner a bit more response if you list the problem up front. This thread looks to be long dead, most members will avoid it. You'll get much better success starting a new one.

If you PM me the link to your new thread I'd be happy to help you out :) 

Cheers!
August 16, 2012 5:42:44 PM

I have an older Dell XPS Dimension machine. Actually I bought it in 2005. It has the Intel Pentium 4 640
Prescott 90nm Technology, 2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz, LCD1970GX (1280x1024@60Hz)
256MB GeForce 7300 GT (PNY), and 156GB Western Digital WDC WD1600JS-75MHB0 (SATA).

I was able to play in all 3 beta weekends for Guild Wars 2, because they had the game CPU bound, and not GPU bound. But now, My Gforce 7300 card does not meet the minimum requirements... So I thought about going to get the Radeon 7750 card, with 1 gig. My question is, will this card be ok, with my current power supply in this Dell machine? I am guessing this card will be ok, for a machine this old. I will be building myself a new machine in the next 4 months or so, but I want to be able to play the game when it comes out, and this card is fairly priced... . Thoughts ??
!