Intel C2D E6400 to E6850

New to the site.
I want to have more processing power but don't really want to change my mobo (Asus P5BW-LA Basswood) The board supports upgrade in the E6x00 Series so I found the highest spec one E6850 - 3 GHz. My question is about the BIOS the only upgrade I could find was 3.17 which my board is already on does this mean I can simply replace the chip and run? also I am wondering if I can use the original heat-sink fan initial research seemed to say I wouldn't have a problem but thought I would check Thanks

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz
Asus P5BW-LA Basswood
6 GB - (2x2)Crucial DDR2-667, (2x1)Corsair XMS 667MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD4800
5 answers Last reply
More about intel e6400 e6850
  1. Are you sure that the E6850 is supported? It supports the Intel Core 2 Duo E6x00, but nowhere does it say that it also supports the E6x50.
  2. argh your totally right well say that I was talking about a e6700 2.66 GHz my question still stands is it as simple as replacing the chip? thanks
  3. Honestly that's not enough of an upgrade to notice anywhere but in benchmarking programs. Save your money for a new computer. You can get a modern dual core Ivy Bridge based CPU, motherboard and 8GB of RAM for less than $200.
  4. maddtom123 said:
    argh your totally right well say that I was talking about a e6700 2.66 GHz my question still stands is it as simple as replacing the chip? thanks

As anort3 said, you won't notice much of a performance improvement. Either build a new inexpensive system or upgrade the HP with a mATX motherboard, etc.
  5. Ok I'll save my money cheers for the advice
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs