How do you format or partition a HDD without an OS?

spat55

Distinguished
Well i tried installing windows 7, and as it's a new build has no OS, when i try to install it just says something about needing drivers? Anyhow i'm just wondering if any of you guys had done this before? I'll be much better to the community after my first build :) :lol:

Solution
If you're running Windows 7, you must have NTFS as the file system. Otherwise, it won't let you install. It MIGHT ask if you want to convert to NTFS, but I am not sure on that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
As I recall, during the initial phase of the installation, the boot process asks if you need to install third party drivers for storage devices. Is this what you're referring to? If so, you shouldn't need to install any drivers during the initial installation and you can skip that.

-Wolf sends

spat55

Distinguished

Ok going back to it, wish me luck!!

spat55

Distinguished

Alright would a 1TB 7200rpm western digital ship with fat32 as its standard setting? I'm really confused by this now

spat55

Distinguished

I'm at the command prompt, how could i convert to NTFS? It probably already is, but i dont know as i cant see.

spat55

Distinguished

Thank you, you and a guide have done it with me!!!

Mofrace

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
My pc won't even go in partition mode my windows is stuck on setup is starting been an hour now.. I tried in both mods ahi or the other one i am using 32 bit btw..