Need a new cooler.

mucles

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hello, I want to upgrade my stock cooler from AMD Phenom II X4, because it's too noisy.
I came down to this 2 coolers.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO & Cooler Master Hyper 412S.
Here in Romania are almost same priced.
Wich one do you guys think that will perform better? Wich one will be more quiet?
Thank You in advance for help :D

socialfox

Distinguished
I would go with the Hyper 412s, its heatsink is much bigger and so will help combat heat better than the hyper 212. The 412 slim should be more quiet as cooler master states on their website that the max dba for it is 30 while the 212 evo has 36 dba.

Here is a link: http://www.coolermaster.com/product_comparison.php
^ use this link to compare your heatsinks, make sure you select 412 slim not pwm.

Either way they are almost the same size and have almost the same design so I would not expect more than a few degrees for a difference.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I would say none of the opinions above are wrong since they are very close together in performance. However it would be more helpful if you could post the price difference in your currency, with that we can justify if a few degrees is worth the price.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well then the Hyper 212 if on a tight budget, but if you don't mind the slight price difference the hyper 412s will outperform it by a few degrees. It's all minimal so either of them are quite good.

mucles

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Well a friend of mine has this cooler, and also has the same case like me.
He forced the side door a little but it's perfectly closed.

From an intrinsic cooling point of view, the two are the same.

Where they differ is in how the fan is controlled.

The EVO will have a PWM 4 pin connector.
That lets the motherboard control the fan speed and cooling.
It will spin up to higher rpm, resulting in better cooling and an associated increase in noise.

The 412S has a 3 pin fan connector that will always spin at 1300 rpm.
With a low noise adapter, it will spin at 900 rpm.
Either speed will be very quiet. Pick either cooling vs noise equation you prefer.

I happen to prefer a constant drone of fan speed vs. a variable speed which seems more noticeable.
If the cpu gets a bit hot, so be it. A cpu is designed to tolerate some amount of heat.

Regardless, the 120mm fan should be a nice change from the stock cooler.

socialfox

Distinguished
Okay, just make sure not to force the side door with great force, you do not want to bend the heatsink fins at all. That would decrease the performance, anyways maybe the hyper 212 evo would fit if the problem is 1mm of too much height. :lol: I doubt though 1mm would make much of a difference but who knows?

mucles

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I will give you an example. NOTE: This is not my case, I found the pic on google.
At my friend's pc:
The Aluminium fins nearly touches this part of the case:
XILk4.png

Then if you look from this side:
mBVYW.png

You can perfectly see the heat pipes.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well it would not be too much of a problem, just don't ram your side panel with force when closing but do it gently. Anyways what's that computer case called? Looks real nice but I just don't like the top mount power supply :p reminds me of those old computer cases.

socialfox

Distinguished
How much is used for cable management? I think I read the entire case width with the side panels then from the case webpage. Nonetheless, you should be able to fit it in, I have a 176mm cooler master case w/ no cable management and the hyper 212 fits.

mucles

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Well the 412S was out of stock so I bought the 212 EVO instead.
The temperatures dropped unbelieveble!
Idle: 27C at a 25C room temperature
Under load: 39C at a 25C room temperature
socialfox you were right! :D The cooler doesn't touch my side door and neither my RAM.
Thank you for your replyes.