Sign in with
Your question

Will this card work on my PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 9:12:15 PM

Hello, I am new to upgrading my PC and want to know if I can run a decent card on my current PSU.

I have a dual 12V rail, with 8 and 14 ramps on each, and total wattage of 300. I want to run a fairly low wattage card, such as the GeForce 430 or the Radeon 6570. Will either work?

I was all set to buy a 430 entec or corsair and drop in a Radeon 6750/6770.. but my motherboard has a crappy layout and, believe it or not, the Ram sticks are placed right next to my PCI x16 slot, and therefore most decent cards won't fit.

So since I"m stuck by physical limitations to use a lower end card, I want to see if something will work with my current PSU

More about : card work psu

May 4, 2012 10:02:28 PM

Err sry, 14 and 8 "amps" on my 12V lines.
m
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 10:04:48 PM

I doubt you'll have any issues with the HD6570, probably not the 430 either.

I don't have your entire system specs but it should be pretty safe to get either card. The HD6000 series is likely a much better deal than similar NVidia cards.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 10:09:38 PM

I tend to agree, with regards to pure graphics quality. However, I am nervous about the 400 watt requirement on the Radeon 6570. At least the 430 states only a 300w is needed (although it seems both cards pull roughly the same wattage?)

Sorry I should give more info on my set up:

i5 2320 processor
8 GB ram
1 TB Harddrive
1 CD/RW drive
no card currently, using integrated

Only play medium to low graphics games, like Civ, WoW, etc.

Don't Overclock at all, don't play for long sessions, and as the games I play arent that intensive I doubt I'll be pushing max wattage out of any video card.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 10:41:18 PM

With video cards the important thing is the amps , so you can have a 300w psu but if the amps are enough then the card will work. The problem is trying to find out the amps requirement of a card. A lot of the card makers will only puit the psu watts requirement and leave out the amps and it can take a little digging to find out.
With your intended usage you can use some lower end cards and get good performance.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 10:42:59 PM

What will you use the PC for?
m
l
May 4, 2012 11:01:30 PM

inzone said:
With video cards the important thing is the amps , so you can have a 300w psu but if the amps are enough then the card will work. The problem is trying to find out the amps requirement of a card. A lot of the card makers will only puit the psu watts requirement and leave out the amps and it can take a little digging to find out.
With your intended usage you can use some lower end cards and get good performance.

that's the thing, I cant find the amp requirement anywhere. I have seen others around the forums make references to the amp req's of various cards, but I have never been able to locate a reliable source. Neither the manufacturer website nor places like newegg have the amps needed for the cards I mentioned.

Is there a third-party site out there that lists amp req's?
m
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 11:19:12 PM

The new GTX680 only uses about 13Amps. The best way to find the Amp requirement is to find the TDP (Thermal Design Point) and divide by 12.

From the formula:
Power (Watts)=Voltage (Volts) X Amperage (Amps)

The card uses the +12V rail for voltage. The TDP is measured in Watts.

I would guess an HD6570 to use less than 4 Amps (48Watts)

*My recommendation would be to find a quality (Antec etc) power supply on SALE at NCIX with at least 400Watts. You can find one for as little as $35 which would be much better than your current one.

Your CPU can also be overclocked, but it won't matter for games with a low-end graphics card and I wouldn't use that Power Supply. It will speed up video conversions like using Handbrake.

Recommendation:
- get an Antec, or similar 400 to 500Watt PSU on sale at NCIX
(if still on sale) http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65317&vpn=PPCMK3S400&m...
- get a $20 after market CPU HSF if you don't have one
(if still on sale) http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=53611&vpn=CAFA50&manuf...
m
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 11:22:45 PM

CPU HSF:
I meant to add that a good HSF will be MUCH QUIETER even when hardly used over a stock heatsink + fan. Make sure to have the FAN control setup correctly (if the fan varies speed by temperature it's setup correctly). For example:
- fan connects to CPU_FAN on motherboard
- BIOS fan control enabled and setup properly (i.e. may need "VOLTAGE")
m
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 11:24:12 PM

Could you give your motherboard model?
m
l
!