Looking for a good 2U Powersupply

Dzl

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
I'm considering building a server for my lovely game once it outgrows our current host.

I'm looking for a good 2U server PSU that will be able to handle about 350W maximum and needs to be redundent.

Here's the basic layout of the server
1x Opteron 175
1x Need to find a MB that will support it
2x Kingston KVR400D8R3A/1G ECC Registered 2 GB total
4x 36 GB WD RAPTOR SATA
1x DVD-RW
1x Flroopy Drive
1x Cheapest PCIe video card I can find
1x SATA RAID Controller

I figrued that the CPU would take about 200W on a max draw, 30W for the mainboard 10W for the memoery, WD says the raptors use about 9W, I'll say 15W, 15W for the DVD-RW, 5W for the floppy and probably 40W for the video card. The SATA controller shouldn't take up to much watts either.

So that's a max load of about 370 Watts (which is probably an overestimate of about 40watts or so).

So ideally I'd like to get a 400-460W redundent PS that'll fit in a 2U case. Something that is quality but won't cost much more than $300. I haven't bought anything yet so if you find a case w/ PS that'd work too. Also anybopdy know of any good SATA Controllers for Raid 1+0 for about $150. I'd use onboard but that'll probably take about 10% CPU utilization, maybe more. Please correct me if you know otherwise on a Nforce4 board and use the onboard raid.

As usual any and all recommendations are welcome

1.33 ghz Athlon @ 266mhz (Thunderbird C core)
512mb Kingston memory
GF4 Ti 4200-TD64
DFI AK-76SN
other stuff that makes a PC a PC<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dzl on 08/16/05 05:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmmm...have you considered using a 3U case instead? Those are the same size as an ATX desktop so they can get away with standard sized power supplies. Many manufacturers offer dual-redundant power supplies in the standard PS-2 form factor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dzl

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
a 3U will work too, sounds like they should be more flexible for finding a PSU. I think I'm going for the new Tyan board that is coming out that will support 939 opteron 1xy.

Though I don't want to be real cheap on the PSU i'm hoping to find a PSU or a PSU and case for a descent price with good performance

1.33 ghz Athlon @ 266mhz (Thunderbird C core)
512mb Kingston memory
GF4 Ti 4200-TD64
DFI AK-76SN
other stuff that makes a PC a PC