PC shuts down randomly when playing games

renaus

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hey everyone, I have a year old pc that I built that just recently started to hard reboot itself when playing most games. I have tried pretty much every game I own and it will reboot itself almost instantly with games such as diablo 3 and I was looking at characters in League of Legends not in game but in the window and it rebooted. I can work in my recording software all day long with no problems as well as use the internet and video editing software. At first I was thinking it was a failing video card but the more research I do the more I am thinking it could be a power supply issue. I have installed HWmonitor and afterburner to monitor and maintain my temps and my videocard has never gone higher than 83C before afterburner and while I think it is high research has shown it is within normal temps. My CPU has not gone higher than 60C. I have set up a very aggressive profile with MSI afterburner that while loud keeps the videocard at a very cool 60C under full load and still I get hard reboots. I am looking for some advice and further troubleshooting tips. Thank you everyone.

My Rig
CORSAIR XMS 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Creative PCIE Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 ATX Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Video Card
Rosewill BRONZE Series 1000W 80Plus Bronze

oxycontiiin

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Overheating was my first thought and it seems you covered that pretty well. PSU is looking increasingly more suspicious. Although 1000W is plenty for your set up as long as you're not overclocking anything. Also, it's 80Plus Bronze so unless it's faulty it should be running like a dream after only one year. If you don't want to buy a PSU just to test this theory, take it to a computer shop and I'm sure one of the techies wouldn't mind wiring up your system to one of their PSU's to help you out. Good Luck.

renaus

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thank you Ram and Oxy for your responses, I bought a new power supply and while it is only an 800W supply everything runs great again. I will be RMA'ing the old one back to rosewill and keeping it in case this new one ever goes out. Thanks again guys.