Sign in with
Your question

New PC build question about fans/PSU

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2012 5:56:51 PM

Hello,
I am a first-time PC builder and I have gotten most of the parts put in but I have run into a problem. I have the Antec 900 case which is designed for a bottom mounted PSU, yet there is no cutout in the bottom of the case for the fan to go. As a result, I was forced to install the PSU upside down -- is this bad for the PSU? Also, this causes my PSU fan to point directly at my GPU fan and I'm afraid this might be bad as well? Please help!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2012 6:10:36 PM

humanrocket said:
Hello,
I am a first-time PC builder and I have gotten most of the parts put in but I have run into a problem. I have the Antec 900 case which is designed for a bottom mounted PSU, yet there is no cutout in the bottom of the case for the fan to go. As a result, I was forced to install the PSU upside down -- is this bad for the PSU? Also, this causes my PSU fan to point directly at my GPU fan and I'm afraid this might be bad as well? Please help!

If your case has space at the bottom i.e the PSU is off the bottom of the case a bit you can put it face down, the air gap will let cool air into the PSU and spit it out the back of the unit.

Mine is upside down at the bottom http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/Niklas_13/?act...

and no it dont sit on the carpet :)  that was before i stuck it in its home.
June 28, 2012 6:18:03 PM

It appears your case has a honey-comb or mesh structure on the bottom? Unfortunately mine is just one solid metal surface and there is virtually no room whatsoever for the PSU to be raised off the bottom. I appreciate your fast response though i am working to figured this out quickly so I can still return certain parts if needed before warranty expires in a week!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2012 6:21:40 PM

you should have about 1/2" between the PSU and bottom of the case ( if not ) so air can get sucked in by the PSU fan, if not just flip over the PSU so the fan is face up towards the top of the case ( you will be fine )
!