Icons of Directories

In WinXP it`s easily possible to assign an (individual) icon to a directory.
Is it possible to tell Windows to show all sub-directories in the same icon
as the directory?

thanks in advance christoph

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

AFAIK this is not possible with one swift setting.
(Feel free to chime in, anyone, if I'm mistaken. I love to learn too.!)
With a little work it is however possible to set this up yourself.

You can place a file called Desktop.ini in any directory you choose.
The contents of the file would be:
[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=Stores Software
IconFile=install.ico
; (or any file, dll or exe, that contains icons, see second example)
IconIndex=0
; (if there is only 1 icon in the file,
; or any number indicating the icon # in that file, starting with 0
for the first icon,
; see second example)
ConfirmFileOp=1

second example.
[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=Stores Software
IconFile=%windir%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=41
ConfirmFileOp=1

One extra step is needed.
You have to set the 'System' attribute on that particular diectory to have
the OS take the Desktop.ini file into account.
(eg. in a cmd prompt: attrib +s <foldername>)

It's a little work, but it will get you the desired result.

hth

george

"Christoph Graber" <graber@gmx.at> wrote in message
> In WinXP it`s easily possible to assign an (individual) icon to a
> directory.
> Is it possible to tell Windows to show all sub-directories in the same
> icon as the directory?
>
> thanks in advance christoph

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

incidentally, works equally well for w98, w2k or w2k3