How to convert In Design Comp Card to a useable format ?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
August 4, 2005 1:31:29 PM

Hello

After using in Design to put some photos together for a comp card how
can that file be converted to something useful? eg. a jpeg file?

Problems are:

The photos in the In Design compcard file are not embedded in that
file, i believe they are only linked to it. So if i, eg. email the In
Design file, the images would only be present as links to other files
on my hard disk... OK, i can embed the pictures and I have done that,
but then, when the file is saved, it is still saved as some weird file
extension, not as something that somebody could look at in an email...
Also the file size is gigantic! I need to just get it so all those
photos and text overlays and frames and so on are just melded into on
snapshot that i can shrink to 800x600 and email.

Or maybe (probably!) there is a much better way to do the kind of thing
that i want to do...

Please let me know and thank you always for your kind help :)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:27:26 PM

"n" <total_utter_carp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> After using in Design to put some photos together for a comp card how
> can that file be converted to something useful? eg. a jpeg file?
>
> Problems are:
>
> The photos in the In Design compcard file are not embedded in that
> file, i believe they are only linked to it. So if i, eg. email the In
> Design file, the images would only be present as links to other files
> on my hard disk... OK, i can embed the pictures and I have done that,
> but then, when the file is saved, it is still saved as some weird file
> extension, not as something that somebody could look at in an email...
> Also the file size is gigantic! I need to just get it so all those
> photos and text overlays and frames and so on are just melded into on
> snapshot that i can shrink to 800x600 and email.
>
> Or maybe (probably!) there is a much better way to do the kind of thing
> that i want to do...
>
> Please let me know and thank you always for your kind help :)

-----------

You can use "export" to AdobeAcrobat (full version) and create a PDF or use
some other PDF generator. with other than AdobeAcro you will use the
"print(er) setup" and "print" commands in the file menu. You will need a PDF
printer driver (pseudo-printer) at the very least with which you can select
the PDF printer from the priner menu and print to (results in a PDF file not
a printed page)

You may also be able to export directly as a PostScript printer file (.ps)
in which case you can print directly to a PostScript capable printer...
or... still convert to PDF from the .ps via the sub-application "distiller"

The only practical route for e-mail is PDF

Why use a high end app like InDesign for this purpose anyway? That's like
getting a RollsRoyce just to take trash to the dump.

Journalist
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:27:27 PM

Journalist-North wrote:
> "n" <total_utter_carp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello
>>
>>After using in Design to put some photos together for a comp card how
>>can that file be converted to something useful? eg. a jpeg file?
>>
>>Problems are:
>>
>>The photos in the In Design compcard file are not embedded in that
>>file, i believe they are only linked to it. So if i, eg. email the In
>>Design file, the images would only be present as links to other files
>>on my hard disk... OK, i can embed the pictures and I have done that,
>>but then, when the file is saved, it is still saved as some weird file
>>extension, not as something that somebody could look at in an email...
>>Also the file size is gigantic! I need to just get it so all those
>>photos and text overlays and frames and so on are just melded into on
>>snapshot that i can shrink to 800x600 and email.
>>

> You can use "export" to AdobeAcrobat (full version) and create a PDF or use
> some other PDF generator. with other than AdobeAcro you will use the
> "print(er) setup" and "print" commands in the file menu. You will need a PDF
> printer driver (pseudo-printer) at the very least with which you can select
> the PDF printer from the priner menu and print to (results in a PDF file not
> a printed page)
>
> You may also be able to export directly as a PostScript printer file (.ps)
> in which case you can print directly to a PostScript capable printer...
> or... still convert to PDF from the .ps via the sub-application "distiller"
>
> The only practical route for e-mail is PDF
>
> Why use a high end app like InDesign for this purpose anyway? That's like
> getting a RollsRoyce just to take trash to the dump.

A screen shot of the doc. is another way, as is asking in a NG that's
focussed on InDesign and or PS or Acrobat.

--
John McWilliams
!