Solved

CPU upgrade for LGA 775

I have a question. My computer in question is a HP XW4300 workstation. On HP's site they list pentium d as an upgrade for the Pentium 4 HT. All of the models of the computer are LGA 775 and because of that I am wondering if i can put a Core 2 duo in there to boost performance. The os i am using is windows xp Professional SP3 and my graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 280. Thank you fore your help
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Don't think the XW4300 can support the Core 2 DUO, says it supports the pentium D at the max. Anyways the XW4400 supports core 2 duo so I believe this is a motherboard compatibility issue. Apart from that I don't think its worth the upgrade, you should try and do a makeover and start a new build from scratch given you have the money.
  2. You'd be better off starting from scratch. There's not much life left in socket 775.
  3. socialfox said:
    Don't think the XW4300 can support the Core 2 DUO, says it supports the pentium D at the max. Anyways the XW4400 supports core 2 duo so I believe this is a motherboard compatibility issue. Apart from that I don't think its worth the upgrade, you should try and do a makeover and start a new build from scratch given you have the money.

Thank you for your help.

I also want to know which pentium d is going to give off the least amount of heat. And should I get regular pentium d or pentium d extreme edition
  4. Go for the regular, honestly it's not worth the upgrade. Your computer is quite old and the replacement parts are going to be quite expensive.
  5. Best answer selected by themav.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Computers Hewlett Packard