CPU upgrade for LGA 775

themav

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I have a question. My computer in question is a HP XW4300 workstation. On HP's site they list pentium d as an upgrade for the Pentium 4 HT. All of the models of the computer are LGA 775 and because of that I am wondering if i can put a Core 2 duo in there to boost performance. The os i am using is windows xp Professional SP3 and my graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 280. Thank you fore your help

Solution
Don't think the XW4300 can support the Core 2 DUO, says it supports the pentium D at the max. Anyways the XW4400 supports core 2 duo so I believe this is a motherboard compatibility issue. Apart from that I don't think its worth the upgrade, you should try and do a makeover and start a new build from scratch given you have the money.

socialfox

Distinguished
Don't think the XW4300 can support the Core 2 DUO, says it supports the pentium D at the max. Anyways the XW4400 supports core 2 duo so I believe this is a motherboard compatibility issue. Apart from that I don't think its worth the upgrade, you should try and do a makeover and start a new build from scratch given you have the money.

Solution

themav

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Thank you for your help.

I also want to know which pentium d is going to give off the least amount of heat. And should I get regular pentium d or pentium d extreme edition