User name in login

I recently purchased a new computer with XP Home SP2 installed. I changed
the username that is display in the Start Menu to mine in the USERS area in
the control panel. However, when the screen saver kicks in the user name
displayed when I go to enter the screensaver password is "Compaq_Owner" --
Is there someplace else to change this? It was the default when I purchaded
the system.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about user login

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&sd=tech

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    "Jeff Kerber" <jkerber@kerber-family.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a new computer with XP Home SP2 installed. I changed
    > the username that is display in the Start Menu to mine in the USERS area
    in
    > the control panel. However, when the screen saver kicks in the user name
    > displayed when I go to enter the screensaver password is "Compaq_Owner" --
    > Is there someplace else to change this? It was the default when I
    purchaded
    > the system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jeff

    Done that... it does not change the name as it appears in the username box,
    only on the mail login screen AND on the Start Menu. I believe in other
    versions this is known as the "last known user"

    Thanks again.

    "Meena" <SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&sd=tech
    >
    > --
    > HTH
    > Meena
    > "Jeff Kerber" <jkerber@kerber-family.net> wrote in message
    >> I recently purchased a new computer with XP Home SP2 installed. I changed
    >> the username that is display in the Start Menu to mine in the USERS area
    > in
    >> the control panel. However, when the screen saver kicks in the user name
    >> displayed when I go to enter the screensaver password is
    >> "Compaq_Owner" --
    >> Is there someplace else to change this? It was the default when I
    > purchaded
    >> the system.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Hi, Jeff;
    If I were you, I'd leave the Owner (which can also have a user name, as
    you've discovered) account for admin purposes only, as I don't think one can
    delete it, and I'd want to be able to delete my user account if it became
    corrupted. Create a new account and use that for your day-to-day computing.
    Regards,
    Ian.

Configuration Windows XP