Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need a GT 650 Video card or about?

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2012 3:32:11 PM

I need a GT 650 Video card or about? And I would like to run SLI and install two of them? Problem is that my desktop case is cramped for space I need cards no longer then 6.5" to maybe 7" long!? I know there used to be a lot of cards like this, I have 2 old 8600 GTs but there too slow for my new system? I can't run a full tower as there is no room for it? I'm kinda stuck,

I'm using a new GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3 MB with 16 GBs Ram, Win 7 64bit, And an AMD FX 6100 6-core Black Edition Bulldozer CPU, 2 350GB HDDs 2 CD-DVD-R-W CD-Drives and 1 external 1 T-bite HDD, A Hi Res LG 23" LED 3D Monitor and the only thing that is slow is the Video card, It was fine with the P4 3.6MHz GigaByte, Win XP Pro, That I removed! Its an XFX GT 520 with 2 Gig Ram DDR3, But now everything is in the 6.8 to 7.6 in the speed Performance indicator, Except the Video card is 4.8!! Help!!!

I have never over clocked the CPU as it runs so Fast and smooth, I haven't even wanted too! Even with the GT 520 card, I can play all my games but only 30 FPS on a good day!

The MB can run ether CrossFireX or SLI, I don't know if ATI Radeon is any better? I herd SLI is faster etc. And that's all I've used till now? If Radeon is really better or the same? I can find cards that are short enough to fit my case and with all the speed and ram I want. But I'm not sure if I should go that route or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm dizzy from looking at and reading specks from all the video cards out there for like the last 2 or 3 weeks!! Man its Nuts! And I can't see paying over $250.00, to $350.00 or a $999.00 Or More! For any video card, I'm not "That" Much into gaming! Or that Rich! :whistle:  As my good friend and Son-in-law has one of them $700.00 + dollar cards and when we ran our PCs side by side my setup was faster the way it is! And it's only going to go as fast as my Video card, And Internet, Network connection witch is 12 MBS COX Cable will Go.. SOooo...

If anyone knows where to get an SLI short card with 2 gig RAM? 1 GB may work with 2 of them in SLI mode? Please, I need the Information on it...

My monitor is a LG, LED, 3-D With glasses with no wires etc, clean and is stunning to watch 3-D Movies and Games. It's Running at 1920 x 1080 native and I think that's all the card I'm using now will go? So that's IT! Going to get some sleep now! :pt1cable: 
Well, Thanks in advance for any ideas or help, Cross Eyed computer nut, Rick...

P.S. Now I see I can Edit this! Sorry Guys I was going to edit my post, I must have hit save? or something.. :D 

More about : 650 video card

a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 3:42:46 PM

Is the current GT 520 giving you a 4.8? Also there is nothing faster between SLI and Crossfire in general, its the video cards that matter when it comes to speed. In addition, it may be worthwhile to overclock the FX-6100 now since you got it, the FX-6100 is not really the best CPU for gaming, there are more older and inexpensive CPUs like the Phenom X4 955 which leaves the FX-6100 in the dust. The FX-6100 architecture kind of sucks.

Might help if you broke up your single paragraph into paragraphs, had to re-read it twice to get the facts correctly :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 4:49:02 PM

Read that twice and still not 100% sure what you are asking. It's like a squirrel on crack :D 
Anyway, on with trying to be helpful.

Can you SLI GTX650s? Nope, no SLI connector on any I have seen.

Best smaller graphics card right now is probably the GTX660. At around 180mm+ (a little over 7inches) it's perhaps a little big for your needs, but it's about the same price as 2 GTX650s and should perform really well. Also like a lot of cards the power connector is on the top rather than on the end, so that won't extend the length. These also come with an SLI connector if you want that facility in the future.

If that isn't an option, a GTX650ti is around 155mm+ which is within your requirements and is fine for general use. Still no SLI options though.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 5:08:22 PM

Holy mother of wall-of-texts... :ouch: 

In all seriousness, the shortest card you can purchase are the GTX660 and GTX660 Ti. They both can be 2-way SLI'd at least (GTX660 Ti being the one able to 3-way SLI). Here's an ADORABLE 660 Ti for you - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's only a tad larger than the GTX650 Ti's, which says something for how much horsepower this card has.

I'm not a big fan of the GTX660 Ti's as some of you have noticed ( :lol:  ) however, for space constraint people like you, it's a great option considering how small this card's PCB is.
November 6, 2012 5:23:57 PM

socialfox said:
Is the current GT 520 giving you a 4.8? Also there is nothing faster between SLI and Crossfire in general, its the video cards that matter when it comes to speed. In addition, it may be worthwhile to overclock the FX-6100 now since you got it, the FX-6100 is not really the best CPU for gaming, there are more older and inexpensive CPUs like the Phenom X4 955 which leaves the FX-6100 in the dust. The FX-6100 architecture kind of sucks.

Might help if you broke up your single paragraph into paragraphs, had to re-read it twice to get the facts correctly :lol: 

H Socialfox, Sorry about the 1 paragraph etc, I was trying to edit it and it got saved! its like my first time on here asking a question, Sooo..
Yeah the GT 520 will only do 4.8 and I got all the video set as fast as I can make it? Don't get me wrong, the GT 520 works great! Its just I wanted something to keep up with the rest of the Computer as well, It tops out at 30FPS on WOW with no or very little lag and looks very good and smooth. I just got greedy! LOL,
The CPU is set to turbo in the BIOS and runs about 3.4 GHz when you start doing stuff, The memory is coming in at 1334 MHz, default in the BIOS, But one the box it says 1600MHz? So, I plan to bump that a bit. (o; I'm jut really happy with it and maybe it's been too long with Intel CPUs? But this thing is really Very fast! When I turn it on from Cold Boot, it takes less the 60 seconds to go from hit the power button to login in, To the desktop ready to go with no more HDD activity etc. For me anyway, that's Very, Very Fast! LOL Online, The Internet screens just pop up like your on a local server! And I paid less then $135.00 for it new from Amazon.. Can I say that? Hope so? (o;
Thanks very much for your information, That helps a hole bunch trying to sort this mess out. I will play around with overclocking this CPU a little after I get my Video card mess figured out.. Thanks SO Much for all the info. Rick.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 5:45:39 PM

I don't own a GT 520 but 4.8 seems reasonable for a GT 520, I've looked on other forums and people have gotten scores around that. The GT 520 is not really a top notch video card, in addition you should consider the video card Mocchan has advised, with it you should score mid 7's (7.4,7.5.7.6). However despite the scoring you should not pay too much attention to the WEI, it occasionally gives me my onboard video a rating of 4-5 which is very terrible in gaming (Ati HD 3000). Lastly, you may want to consider SLI/Crossfiring, they tend to produce a lot of heat and the card on the top often overheats if there is not adequate airflow. I would recommend a single powerful card rather than SLI/Crossfiring.
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:03:43 PM

Rammy said:
Read that twice and still not 100% sure what you are asking. It's like a squirrel on crack :D 
Anyway, on with trying to be helpful.

Can you SLI GTX650s? Nope, no SLI connector on any I have seen.

Best smaller graphics card right now is probably the GTX660. At around 180mm+ (a little over 7inches) it's perhaps a little big for your needs, but it's about the same price as 2 GTX650s and should perform really well. Also like a lot of cards the power connector is on the top rather than on the end, so that won't extend the length. These also come with an SLI connector if you want that facility in the future.

If that isn't an option, a GTX650ti is around 155mm+ which is within your requirements and is fine for general use. Still no SLI options though.

Hi Rammy, Yeah I already apologised for the crummy text! )o; I was trying to edit it, And it got saved before I could do anything, I Bad! Sorry about that, But I love the bit about the Squirrel! After 80 hours online looking through Video cards I feel like it too! But NO Drugs, Ever! Just coffee and Sleep deprivation, Trying to figure out what to do.. (o;
Yeah its like you got to buy a 10' or 12' Card to get SLI any more? Cool, I been looking at GTX650s to GTX660s! I think I'm gonna be stuck going with the GTX660, I always read the customer reviews and I saw where several stores where advertising the GigaByte GTX 650 and 660 as Having SLI ready! I wounder how many puter people they got with that one! Well it saved me at least from a big disappointment.! )o;
Well, Thank You! I will look into that GTX 660! And that GTX 650ti. That power connector on-top would help me a lot too.. OK, With that info I will pick one of thous and if I have to run with out SLI? So be it.. One little question? Any preference on Brand? I have had good luck with EVGA and XFX over the years..
Thanks Again for the great info.. At least I got someplace to start with the good info you gave me, Thanks, Rick...

P.S.. If the card is a little too long? I'll just get out the big FORD hammer and the cutting torches and welder and This card WILL Fit! Then you'll see a Squirrel On Coffee! and a lot of it!!! LOL (o;
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:27:16 PM

mocchan said:
Holy mother of wall-of-texts... :ouch: 

In all seriousness, the shortest card you can purchase are the GTX660 and GTX660 Ti. They both can be 2-way SLI'd at least (GTX660 Ti being the one able to 3-way SLI). Here's an ADORABLE 660 Ti for you - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's only a tad larger than the GTX650 Ti's, which says something for how much horsepower this card has.

I'm not a big fan of the GTX660 Ti's as some of you have noticed ( :lol:  ) however, for space constraint people like you, it's a great option considering how small this card's PCB is.

Hi Mocchan, Yeah Sorry About that! I just apologized to everyone else above, And you too! I was trying to edit and somehow I hit save!! First time in that forum but I will try not to go bonkers on you guys any more, Sorry... (o;
Yeah, I just read Rammy's and a few others Text, And it seems the GTX650 to GTX660, and ti. I just hope they are not the ones advertised on Amazon and a few other places as having SLI and you can see from the photo there is no connector? Found out about that from reading store revues and one gentlemen was a bit upset when he opened the box! But, If I can get one of the above to fit and work good I guess I'll pass on the SLI.
Others don't think I'll need SLI if I get a good card everything should run just fine, So I'll be happy if it works out that way and next time I remodel my computer room, I'll make it more user friendly for Full tower cases! LOL...
Well, Thanks SO Much For all the Info. I'm going to check them out as soon as I'm done here.. Thanks for the link too! (o;
Only other thing I wanted to ask you guys is do you think I should stay with 2 gig Of RAM on the card DDR5? Or is 1 GIG enough? and any favorite brands you like? I have had very good luck with EVGA and FXF over the years..
So, Thanks again SOOO Much! Tom's Hardware, And you guys Rock! :bounce:  Rick..

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 6:43:51 PM

I use an ITX system these days and picked out this-
http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=892&lang=en as the best card that would fit comfortably into most ITX builds (it's a fraction longer than the motherboard (which is 170mm long vs 180mm for the card)

If I hadn't been quite so concerned about size issues, I'd probably have gone for this version-
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N660-TF-2GD5-OC.html
It's got a much better cooler and is a bit faster out of the box but it's significantly longer at 235mm

I also considered this-
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7850-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-OC...
7850 is a bit cheaper and a bit worse than a GTX660, pretty similar size to the other MSI at 225mm though.

Basically anything with 2 fans on it is likely to be a bit bigger. That Zotac linked above is as small as I've seen a GTX660ti (~190mm) but it's significantly more expensive than a GTX660. Hard to beat at <200mm length cards though.

@ Brands, you can't really go wrong with EVGA. MSI cards are always well reviewed and the reason I bought a Gainward is because I've had solid experience with them in the past. It's also worth noting that I don't think EVGA make any smaller cards. All of their cards tend to use a reference style cooler which tends to make all their cards similar sizes. Make sure you check dimensions before you buy. Also no reason not to go for 2gb, most modern games can use a fair chunk of it and you don't save huge amounts usually.
m
l
November 14, 2012 2:29:05 AM

Best answer selected by Merlin289.
m
l
November 14, 2012 3:24:42 AM

Thanks, Everyone for helping me out and giving me someplace to start anyway... (o; "Rammy" I looked into some of the cards you mentioned and with the performance scores they listed and what you said, And I found a deal at Fry's Electronics for a EVGA / GeForce GTX 650 SC! Fixed all my problems! I don't even care if I have SLI now or not! LOL! IT took my performance scale of 4.8 for the XFX GT 520, and took it to 7.4!!! My Games like WOW play at 80+ FPS all my 3D stuff looks fantastic and nothing overheats! I could not hardly believe it but its made my hole system faster!

The GTX 650 also has 2GB of GDDR5 RAM, I am So Happy!! (o; Oh, and every one of my games settings are maxed out! I never knew WOW could look better then it did before and in 3D its crazy! like the guys are fighting on my desk in front of the monitor! LOL (o; I can also over clock the GTX 650 SC (Supper clocked) but so far I just letting it run with its auto turbo, when it needs to, it speeds up during heavy loads and slows down when not busy, Its great, and the fan is quite, Even under high loads I can barely hear it when it gets up to like 70 to 80 % speed I can hardly hear it at all! Sooo, Anyone looking for a very nice Video card and well priced with a ton of features and tight on space.. This series cards from EVGA is only 6" long! or just as long as the PCIe slot! that's it! so anyone looking needs to check this EVGA GTX 650 series out! (O;

Thanks everyone for all the help and Ideas, it got me through a real tough spot on this build and saved me countless dollars buying different cards that probably would not have worked and who knows how much money and cards I would have gone through to get to this one! or I might have settled for something much less then what I got now!

The EVGA card cost 150.00 at Fry's and I got a 10.00 rebate to EVGA, and I'm using that to buy the 10 year extended warranty so I will never have to worry about this card for as long as I have this PC! or I hope! LOL

Thanks everyone for all the help, you guys and Tom's Hardware is the best tech info site out there as far as I am concerned! I'll talk to you all letter, got to go blow things up and kill stuff!!!! (O; Take care , have Fun, Merlin289, Rick..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 3:57:07 AM

Always glad to be of assistance :)  Glad you found a sick deal at Fry's!

m
l
!