Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can the AMD FX-8350 CPU work on a 970 Chipste motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2012 4:19:29 PM

Hi guys. I'm planing on upgrading from my athlon II X3 450 to a FX-8350 piledriver. Now, my motherboard has a 970 chipset and some ppl tell me that it works only on 990 chipsets. And if i have to update or flash the BIOS then forget it, gonna sell the board and cpu and get an i5 and a board for it
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 4:28:31 PM

What make/model board. The 970 chipset can support 83xx though obviously you need to update your BIOS (which takes all of 2 minutes) but it is dependent on your mobo maker issuing support for that board. For example the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 does but the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 does not (only supports up to 6300) so check the CPU support on your exact board.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 4:29:24 PM

It will work with the 970 chipset and it should work on your mobo WITH a BIOS update, its easier than selling the board and CPU and then getting an i5.
November 4, 2012 4:32:16 PM

socialfox said:
I think its only for 990 FX motherboards says so in this review:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-FX-8350-Vishera-8Cor...

Edit: Disregard this post, seems like it is compatible with your chipset as claimed by others.

It says AMD series 9 chipsets... The 990FX was given as an example i think but i'm not sure
Score
November 4, 2012 4:35:05 PM

wr6133 said:
What make/model board. The 970 chipset can support 83xx though obviously you need to update your BIOS (which takes all of 2 minutes) but it is dependent on your mobo maker issuing support for that board. For example the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 does but the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 does not (only supports up to 6300) so check the CPU support on your exact board.

Its an MSI 970A G46. I went to the CPU support list: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/970A-G46.html
I don't know if its true
Score
November 4, 2012 4:37:00 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
It will work with the 970 chipset and it should work on your mobo WITH a BIOS update, its easier than selling the board and CPU and then getting an i5.

Here's the CPU support list: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/970A-G46.html
The FX 8350 is in there but if i have to update or do anything like that to the bios then i'm selling it. I never updated the BIOS before and if i fail this one doesn't have dual bios so i'll lose the board and warranty will be violated.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 4:39:01 PM

wr6133 ^+1 it will depend on your mobo's bios
Score
November 4, 2012 4:42:15 PM

catshannon said:
wr6133 ^+1 it will depend on your mobo's bios

So its a gamble?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 4:44:22 PM

Lazar_99 said:
So its a gamble?

What board do you have?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 4:44:48 PM

Well unless your motherboard was being made in the factory about a fortnight ago you will need to update to the latest BIOS. Its a pretty simple thing to do once done it will work with the latest FX series
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 4:44:56 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Here's the CPU support list: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/970A-G46.html
The FX 8350 is in there but if i have to update or do anything like that to the bios then i'm selling it. I never updated the BIOS before and if i fail this one doesn't have dual bios so i'll lose the board and warranty will be violated.

Well updating bios is not really hard, just download the latest bios file and you should be able to format a usb stick with fat/fat32 and then just drop in it in the usb. Restart computer and update bios with the usb.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 4:46:22 PM

if a cheapy M5A78L-M/USB3 can have the bios to run it bro check on MSI for bios updates
Score
November 4, 2012 4:50:33 PM

catshannon said:
What board do you have?

MSI 970A G46
Score
November 4, 2012 4:52:29 PM

wr6133 said:
Well unless your motherboard was being made in the factory about a fortnight ago you will need to update to the latest BIOS. Its a pretty simple thing to do once done it will work with the latest FX series

Ah.... How can i see which version do i have and which version do i need for the 8350?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 4:53:46 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Ah.... How can i see which version do i have and which version do i need for the 8350?

Do what i said in my last post
Score
November 4, 2012 4:57:24 PM

catshannon said:
Do what i said in my last post

I downloaded the one that says: Support for AMD Vishera CPU which is the code name of the piledriver.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 5:00:30 PM

You want the link from catshannon unless your board came from the MSI factory last week you don't have that version
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:01:53 PM

Lazar_99 said:
I downloaded the one that says: Support for AMD Vishera CPU which is the code name of the piledriver.

The latest one has the support it came out 2 weeks ago it was the 1st one put that on a USB and then go into your bios and run the file on the usb it will then warn you as long as you've given us the right mobo name it will be fine it will restart after you confirm the warning, when you get your 83xx plug it in job done
Score
November 4, 2012 5:04:38 PM

wr6133 said:
You want the link from catshannon unless your board came from the MSI factory last week you don't have that version

My BIOS is version 1.9 so i guess it needs the update. I'll reply if the update didn't fail and wrecked the board
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:07:42 PM

Lazar_99 said:
My BIOS is version 1.9 so i guess it needs the update. I'll reply if the update didn't fail and wrecked the board

Bro if its the same BIOS it will do nothing, if it is the right bios for your mobo it will do nothing but help being stable and CPU support, and if you have the version it will do nothing wrong to it.
JUST CHILLAX
Score
November 4, 2012 5:08:24 PM

catshannon said:
The latest one has the support it came out 2 weeks ago it was the 1st one put that on a USB and then go into your bios and run the file on the usb it will then warn you as long as you've given us the right mobo name it will be fine it will restart after you confirm the warning, when you get your 83xx plug it in job done

So i extract the download to my USB flash device and i set it to be first boot device and then when it asks for the name i just type in: 970A-G46?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:10:23 PM

Lazar_99 said:
So i extract the download to my USB flash device and i set it to be first boot device and then when it asks for the name i just type in: 970A-G46?

Ive never booted into a BIOS update go into your bios and look for a Update tool
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:21:20 PM

Lazar_99 said:
I did read it

Have you got MFlash? check your bios there's allot of ******* about if you don't well not really just a tool is easier
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 5:26:13 PM

Lazar_99 said:

If memory serves me well when I updated my Asus motherboard with a usb all it asks for updating the bios is the location of the file. Your usb should pop up on the list and select it, within it the only file should be the .rom file for the bios. Best if you get your best USB, not size wise but brand name, format it under windows and select it it to be fat/fat 32 which is recognized by most motherboards. You also have the option of backing up your current bios if something happens on to the usb prior to installing the new bios. I remember some of my cheap chinese USBs not showing up in the bios but my lexar 8gb one did.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:28:31 PM

socialfox said:
If memory serves me well when I updated my Asus motherboard with a usb all it asks for updating the bios is the location of the file. Your usb should pop up on the list and select it, within it the only file should be the .rom file for the bios. Best if you get your best USB, not size wise but brand name, format it under windows and select it it to be fat/fat 32 which is recognized by most motherboards. You also have the option of backing up your current bios if something happens on to the usb prior to installing the new bios. I remember some of my cheap chinese USBs not showing up in the bios but my lexar 8gb one did.

Asus uses EZFlash or something like that and yes you jus select the usb then the file but i dont know about this MSI and using a flash tool means if he has a nfts usb he can use that even if its not bootable
Score
November 4, 2012 5:30:26 PM

socialfox said:

Mine is Kingston...
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:31:43 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Mine is Kingston...

Go to my computer right click your usb and go to properties and it should say file system either NFTS or FAT32 tell us
Score
November 4, 2012 5:32:45 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Hi guys. I'm planing on upgrading from my athlon II X3 450 to a FX-8350 piledriver. Now, my motherboard has a 970 chipset and some ppl tell me that it works only on 990 chipsets. And if i have to update or flash the BIOS then forget it, gonna sell the board and cpu and get an i5 and a board for it

It does work with a 970 series board. I had to flash bios first with my old chip still installed. You can flash bios with a usb drive and when you boot you should have a hot key to hit or go into bios before boot up and flash from there.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:34:10 PM

chase3567 said:
It does work with a 970 series board. I had to flash bios first with my old chip still installed. You can flash bios with a usb drive and when you boot you should have a hot key to hit or go into bios before boot up and flash from there.

He knows but he needs a bootable usb..... or just MFlash in the BIOS like ive said for 20 mins
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 5:34:16 PM

Hold on your motherboard says it has live update 5, if you are connected directly to the internet via wires and not wi-fi or wireless network adapters then that would work. Should click on utilities in your motherboard bios and it should say live update.

Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-oc3H0m2s
Score
November 4, 2012 5:35:44 PM

catshannon said:
Go to my computer right click your usb and go to properties and it should say file system either NFTS or FAT32 tell us

FAT32
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 5:37:07 PM

^ fat 32 should work with your bios
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 5:43:25 PM

Get Flashing your BIOS broo you have all you need
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 6:02:20 PM

use the mflash directions, its simple enough.

I have updated my computers over the years who knows how many times, I have never had a bad update.

usually the only way you can mess it up is if you turn the power off half way through the update.
Score
November 4, 2012 6:05:58 PM

noob2222 said:
use the mflash directions, its simple enough.

I have updated my computers over the years who knows how many times, I have never had a bad update.

usually the only way you can mess it up is if you turn the power off half way through the update.

Or a power outtage occurs. If that happened to me just now i would go terminator on the ones responsible for it.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 6:07:23 PM

Then make sure your fuse box is cool and no drunks are banging into power lines outside im off to play bf3 have fun with your new BIOS
Score
November 4, 2012 6:08:25 PM

I updated it.... Btw i had some problems after it getting the 4th core unlocked again. I had to up the voltage otherwise it wouldn't boot and when its stable and booted it says unknown CPU type B50 X4 instead of phenom II X4 B50 like it did before
Score
November 4, 2012 6:34:55 PM

socialfox said:
Run prime 95 since you upped the voltage a bit. Let us know your temperatures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-oc3H0m2s
You don't have to do it but it would ensure your CPU is stable after the 4th core being unlocked. Use HWmonitor for temperatures:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Ok i ran prime95 for 30 mins and there were no crashes or overheating. It ran stable, 45C CPU temp while the motherboard was hotter, 55C for the board. Btw i have stock cooling on the processor.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 6:36:36 PM

Might want to invest in a case fan for the motherboard but apart from that those temperatures are fine.
Score
November 4, 2012 6:45:27 PM

socialfox said:
Might want to invest in a case fan for the motherboard but apart from that those temperatures are fine.

I have good airflow in my case. I have two 120mm fans for intake, one is blowing on the CPU cooler and board and the other is blowing on the GPU while two 80mm fans are used for exhaust at the back of my case and the two 120mm ones are on the side panel
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 6:49:49 PM

What's the room temperature? I think 55 is a bit warm for a motherboard.
Score
November 4, 2012 6:59:27 PM

socialfox said:
What's the room temperature? I think 55 is a bit warm for a motherboard.

I don't know about the room temp but it always is around 55 when gaming. The stock AMD cooler that came with the CPU does its job quite fine
Score
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 7:01:36 PM

Turn off your LLC (load line calibration)
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 7:12:43 PM

Cpu temps are fine and so is the motherboard but it is a bit warm *just* for the motherboard. You don't need the fan, I was just saying it would help bring it to be lower. Generally I like to keep motherboard temperatures below 50 at the least.
Score
November 4, 2012 7:22:44 PM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
Score
!