Sudden Shutdown and Power back on

webbo254

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi Everyone

Over the past few months my PC has occasional (usually once every 3 week or so) been randomly shutting itself off and after a few seconds booting back up again. Exactly the same as if I flip the switch on the back of the PSU and then flip it back on again, this produces exactly the same result where by the PC will suddenly shut off then after a few seconds turn itself back on again.

It has never happened while gaming always while i'm just browsing the internet and have constantly monitored temperatures and all are fine, which makes me believe it isn't heat related and something to do with the PSU.

Power supply is a Coolermaster Silent Pro M 700W

My Specs:

i5 2500K
MSI P67A-GD53
GTX 670
8GB Ram
1 x SSD, 2 x HDD's
Sound blaster sound card.

My CPU is overclocked on the turbo so only runs at 4.2GHz during intensive tasks.

G

You could check all the cables inside and outside the case. Judging by the fact it seldom happens it may not be too much of a serious problem.

I can remember my old computer would randomly reboot even when not under any heavy load, but this only happened a few times and I can't remember how I remedied the situation.

When the system randomly powers down does it make any fizzing sounds? If it does then it could be PSU related.

webbo254

Distinguished
May 26, 2007

I have done checks on the inside cables and have also tried a different power cable but the problem still continued.

There are no unusual noises when it shuts down just the same as if I flip the switch on the back of the power supply.

G

Do you have another PSU to test with? It would be good just to try this in order to rule-out this but I guess it will be extensive testing due to the rare occurrence of this problem.

webbo254

Distinguished
May 26, 2007

I decided just to buy a new power supply and see how it goes. With it not happening every 15 mins say it makes it harder to test.

Went for an XFX Pro 650W so hopefully the problem will be solved fingers crossed.