Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting a MOBO with no PCI

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2012 7:49:05 PM

What are peoples opinions on hardware like this: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-expansi...

To be used if a computer doesn't have a pci slot. Alternatively are there any USB to PCI converters?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure exactly where this thread belongs.

More about : mobo pci

June 28, 2012 7:59:29 PM

I guess my question would be why would you want to use something like that. If you have a PCI card or two for an older system that you want to use and given the cost of this particular item, I'd check first, to see if just replacing the PCI card with a PCI-Ex1 card wouldn't be more prudent.

I think something more reasonable would be having a four PCI-Ex1 external expansion box that connects to an internal PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot.

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any USB to PCI converters.

-Wolf sends
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:17:47 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I guess my question would be why would you want to use something like that. If you have a PCI card or two for an older system that you want to use and given the cost of this particular item, I'd check first, to see if just replacing the PCI card with a PCI-Ex1 card wouldn't be more prudent.

engineering equipment that can't be replaced cheaply.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 28, 2012 8:40:44 PM

Ok. In that case, my only concern would be through-put. It's based on a PCI-E 1.0a standard which means a data rate of 250MB/s. PCI cards have a data rate of 133MB/s, so if you're looking at more than one PCI card, you could, theoretically, saturate the through-put and create a bottleneck.

-Wolf sends
June 29, 2012 12:46:40 AM

Best answer selected by fisher_1.
m
l
!