Useless talents / abilities / spells

My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.

Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted to back
off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.

Nature's Grasp was actually quite useful in dueling against rogues &
warriors. They hit you, get rooted and then you keep re-rooting them
until the damage from the roots softened them up enough that a
Starfire/Moonfire combo would finish them off. However, the recently
insituted diminishing returns makes that a less useful combo in
dueling. The other use is when you're getting the hell beat out of you
(outside) and you need to get away.

That said, at level 60, I completely dropped it because it's useless in
raid instances (since they're inside) & mass PvP (since you're getting
nuked by a half dozen or more people at once) and there's not many mobs
roaming about outside that concern me.

If you want to see completely useless talents for Druids, look at
Improved Tranquility (Barkskin completely marginalizes it) and Improved
Roots.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]

>> Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste
>> of time. All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it
>> doesn't bloody work. 10 seconds? Hah.
>
> Hehe...it's a joke right?

Must be. Freezing trap is one of the best CC skills in the game because
it can hit all types of mobs. Without it, Hunters would have even
tougher problems that they already do with people not wanting them in
instances.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]

Ace

Both of these folks are no doubt making the mistake of applying a DOT
before attempting crowd control.

Druids: No Moonfire - No Thorns if ya wanna CC

Hunters: Pet on Peaceful - No Sting

Go back, and try these "useless" abilities, and see if your
appreciation for them doesn't change.

-ACE

Rich GK wrote:
> My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.
>
> Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
> triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted
> to back off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.

Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of time.
All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
work. 10 seconds? Hah.

bm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

"charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
> Rich GK wrote:
>> My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.
>>
>> Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
>> triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted
>> to back off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.
>
> Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of time.
> All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
> work. 10 seconds? Hah.

think they're pretty useful. Especially when doing quests, where an NPC
turns aggro after having a chat with them (or is that just me??;) ). Throw
a trap down, speak to them, leg it. Turn and fire.

"charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
> Rich GK wrote:
>> My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.
>>
>> Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
>> triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted
>> to back off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.
>
> Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of time.
> All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
> work. 10 seconds? Hah.

Hehe...it's a joke right?

porl wrote:
> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>
>>Rich GK wrote:
>>
>>>My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.
>>>
>>>Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
>>>triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted
>>>to back off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.
>>
>>Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of time.
>>All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
>>work. 10 seconds? Hah.
>

> Hehe...it's a joke right?

It must be. The trap, especially Freezing is for me the most usefull
when fighting a mob that is 3 lvls higher than me and my pet, and so
ingores the pet's "Growl" and heads straight to me. It slows it down so
I can make some distance, shoot more, add a concussive shot and hope my
pet draws it's attention in the meantime :)

"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
> porl wrote:
>> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message

>>>Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of
>>>time.
>>>All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
>>>work. 10 seconds? Hah.
>>

>> Hehe...it's a joke right?
>
> It must be. The trap, especially Freezing is for me the most usefull when
> fighting a mob that is 3 lvls higher than me and my pet, and so ingores
> the pet's "Growl" and heads straight to me. It slows it down so I can make
> some distance, shoot more, add a concussive shot and hope my pet draws
> it's attention in the meantime :)

Freezing traps are fragile for sure but they're a very useful tool when
soloing and immensely useful in instances. Place them away from likely AOE
spots and don't dot the mobs and they're great, and of course in PVP they're
essential Rogue-Killers. I just came across a nice multi-trap tutorial
here..

http://tkasomething.com/hifaq.php

porl wrote:
> "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
>> porl wrote:
>>> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message

>>> Hehe...it's a joke right?
>>
>> It must be. The trap, especially Freezing is for me the most usefull
>> when fighting a mob that is 3 lvls higher than me and my pet, and so
>> ingores the pet's "Growl" and heads straight to me. It slows it down
>> so I can make some distance, shoot more, add a concussive shot and
>> hope my pet draws it's attention in the meantime :)
>
> Freezing traps are fragile for sure but they're a very useful tool
> when soloing and immensely useful in instances. Place them away from
> likely AOE spots and don't dot the mobs and they're great, and of
> course in PVP they're essential Rogue-Killers. I just came across a
> nice multi-trap tutorial here..
>
> http://tkasomething.com/hifaq.php

Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm working around at the moment with an Aimed
shot, send pet in as shot is warming up, Pet keeps mob contained, send in a
Serpent, Arcane, rinse and repeat. If the mob comes for me then I use a
distract, get some distance and start again. Can get a mob down in around 20
seconds that way.

> Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm working around at the moment with an
> Aimed
> shot, send pet in as shot is warming up, Pet keeps mob contained, send in
> Serpent, Arcane, rinse and repeat. If the mob comes for me then I use a
> distract, get some distance and start again. Can get a mob down in around
> 20
> seconds that way.

A crit with aimed shot is highly likely to pull a mob off your pet,
*especially* if it's only had the chance for a quick bite. And I'm not sure
what you mean by a distract. The distract shot will attempt to bring the
target to you.

porl wrote:
> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>
>> Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm working around at the moment with an
>> Aimed
>> shot, send pet in as shot is warming up, Pet keeps mob contained,
>> send in a
>> Serpent, Arcane, rinse and repeat. If the mob comes for me then I
>> use a distract, get some distance and start again. Can get a mob
>> down in around 20
>> seconds that way.
>
> A crit with aimed shot is highly likely to pull a mob off your pet,
> *especially* if it's only had the chance for a quick bite. And I'm
> not sure what you mean by a distract. The distract shot will attempt
> to bring the target to you.

Sorry, at work so can't look it up but it's a melee thing. Works 1 in 3
times for me. I've also respecced recently so my crits are around 700 which
takes more than enough health off. Unless they're elites :)

> porl wrote:
>> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm working around at the moment with an
>>> Aimed
>>> shot, send pet in as shot is warming up, Pet keeps mob contained,
>>> send in a
>>> Serpent, Arcane, rinse and repeat. If the mob comes for me then I
>>> use a distract, get some distance and start again. Can get a mob
>>> down in around 20
>>> seconds that way.
>>
>> A crit with aimed shot is highly likely to pull a mob off your pet,
>> *especially* if it's only had the chance for a quick bite. And I'm
>> not sure what you mean by a distract. The distract shot will attempt
>> to bring the target to you.
>
> Sorry, at work so can't look it up but it's a melee thing. Works 1 in 3
> times for me. I've also respecced recently so my crits are around 700
> which
> takes more than enough health off. Unless they're elites :)

Sounds like your talking about disengage.

Zarris <Overated> - 5 Orc Warlock
Kreiger <Overated> - 42 Troll Shaman
Liatras <Overated> - 47 Troll Hunter
Kyrdra <Overated> - 37 Troll Rogue
Viarra <Overated> - 13 Troll Priest

All on Alleria

alex

"charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
> porl wrote:
>> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm working around at the moment with an
>>> Aimed
>>> shot, send pet in as shot is warming up, Pet keeps mob contained,
>>> send in a
>>> Serpent, Arcane, rinse and repeat. If the mob comes for me then I
>>> use a distract, get some distance and start again. Can get a mob
>>> down in around 20
>>> seconds that way.
>>
>> A crit with aimed shot is highly likely to pull a mob off your pet,
>> *especially* if it's only had the chance for a quick bite. And I'm
>> not sure what you mean by a distract. The distract shot will attempt
>> to bring the target to you.

It's Disengage, which usually does exactly what it say's on the tin

Alex wrote:
> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>> porl wrote:
>>> "charleh (moif)" <charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message

>>> A crit with aimed shot is highly likely to pull a mob off your pet,
>>> *especially* if it's only had the chance for a quick bite. And I'm
>>> not sure what you mean by a distract. The distract shot will attempt
>>> to bring the target to you.
>>

> It's Disengage, which usually does exactly what it say's on the tin

That's the fella :)

On Fri, 6 May 2005 11:12:01 +0100, "charleh \(moif\)"
<charleh@macburgerdonaldsking.com> scribed into the ether:

>Rich GK wrote:
>> My vote has to be Grasp of the Wild for Druid.
>>
>> Reason: Lasts all of 1 second. 5 Sodding talent points to ensure it
>> triggers, only to see (actually hear, as you've invariably attempted
>> to back off from opponent) it unroot 1 second later.
>
>Alot of Hunters might disagree but I reckon the traps are a waste of time.
>All the times I've used them, freezing trap especially, it doesn't bloody
>work. 10 seconds? Hah.

It's 10 seconds (or longer, for the higher level versions) so long as
nobody hits the target. That means no Serpent Stings on it, as the DoT
counts as a hit.

Immolation Trap is good, never-miss (but of dubious use against fire
elementals) damage. Very frequent use for this.

Frost Trap I've never found much use for, but I also don't really see mages
very often, and I imagine that the slowdown effect works well for heavy AOE
like that.

Explosive Trap is...very situational. The damage is good, and it is AOE,
but the mana cost is prohibitive, and the amount of aggro it generates is
just scary. I've only ever really found 2 places where this is useful..the
Lycaeum in BRD, and paring down the guards on the Scarlet Oracle.

Freeze Trap is a fundamental staple of Hunter effectiveness inside
instances. Period. It works really well outside too for dealing with pulls
of 3-4 even levels. Assuming nobody breaks it, it is THE most effective
crowd control, because it works on everything but bosses. Sheeping and
Sapping and such all require the target to fall into specific monster
categories. Freeze Trap does not. It does have some fairly stringent
limitations to it, and it takes some practice to use it effectively, but it
is a great, great ability.

shimrod

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004

On Sat, 07 May 2005 13:01:03 +1000, Cameron wrote:

> There's a screen shot in the wow forums of a high level hunter with it.
> When asked why, he said he was hoping Blizzard had left a 0 off it and
> were going to get around to fixing it.
> Not many, but there are probably a few optimists like that out there.
>
> Cameron

I guess that guy still believes in Santa and the Easter Bunny...I'm not
gonna hold my breath. If and when they "fix" it, I'll take a look at
re-speccing, but there is no way in hell that I would invest 31 points in
an utterly useless talent in the hopes that it would be fixed. That's
being optimistic to the point of idiocy.

Shimrod

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

> Frost Trap I've never found much use for, but I also don't really see
> mages
> very often, and I imagine that the slowdown effect works well for heavy
> AOE
> like that.

What do you mean? It's only restricts movement, doesn't it? Why would mages
be concerned?

On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:55:45 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> scribed
into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>
>> Frost Trap I've never found much use for, but I also don't really see
>> mages
>> very often, and I imagine that the slowdown effect works well for heavy
>> AOE
>> like that.
>
>What do you mean? It's only restricts movement, doesn't it? Why would mages
>be concerned?

Concerned? They wouldn't. They'd be helped. Mobs who can barely run because
they've been frost-slowed can't get out of pulsed-AOE effects before the
duration is up, and they also have trouble directing their aggressive
tendencies on the mage in question (which not only keeps the mage alive,
but keeps him from being hit and getting his spells interrrupted).

> On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:55:45 +0100, "porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Frost Trap I've never found much use for, but I also don't really see
>>> mages
>>> very often, and I imagine that the slowdown effect works well for heavy
>>> AOE
>>> like that.
>>
>>What do you mean? It's only restricts movement, doesn't it? Why would
>>mages
>>be concerned?
>
> Concerned? They wouldn't. They'd be helped. Mobs who can barely run
> because
> they've been frost-slowed can't get out of pulsed-AOE effects before the
> duration is up, and they also have trouble directing their aggressive
> tendencies on the mage in question (which not only keeps the mage alive,
> but keeps him from being hit and getting his spells interrrupted)

Oh I see, that's a use I haven't considered before. Nice one.

well for me so far (only played a few chars to lvl 20 or so), it would
probably be 'Slow Fall' from Wizard. I haven't seen one place where it
really makes any difference as falling has almost no damage in this
game (had this been EQ or EQ2 it'd be a different thing). Hell,
jumping down the ravines near Orgrimmar that look like they're 2 miles
above only hits me with like 70 dmg.

>> ...and yes, Innervate is of huge importance. Without it, you're
>> a 2nd rate healer. With it, you'll keep healing in extended combat
long
>> after the Priest has run out of mana and is watching with interest.
>
> Don't priests have a similar spell like that?

Nope. :) Priests are better for emergency healing than we are (Power
Word: Shield, 1.5 second Flash Heal) but we're better at handling
extended battles with Innervate.

> Hehe. I used innervate so far only when we got more mobs than our
healer
> could handle (and either casted it on him or on me), or to support
the
> mage with infinite mana for boss fights (especially for herod).

All very good uses. *nods* I found that Innervate is really only
effective if the target has at least 200 spirit. Shouldn't be a problem
with priests, but you'll want to check mages before you get started as
quite a few of them don't spec it.

> Nice :) My (restoration only) build looks quite similar. To be
ontopic:
> Using 5 talent points just to have a 100% chance of gaining 40 energy

> when shifting to catform is a huge waste, too.

Yeah, it is. Energy ramps up pretty quick.

> btw: Hail to the keepers of the cheese (I like that :)

Heh. The term originated from the MUD days of the guild founder. It's
also a Ren & Stimpy reference.

>> http://wow.allakhazam.com/item­.html?witem=12757 (quest item)
>
> Wow! I hope that's not an alliance only quest.

Nope. When you do UBRS and someone uses Finkle's Skinner to skin the
Beast (that drops said dagger) a guy named Finkle spawns. Talk to him
and he'll give you a quest to talk to a guy in Everlook in
Winterspring. That guy will tell you to look at his catalog, which will
give you that quest.

>> A lot of bear form druids want this:
>> http://wow.allakhazam.com/item­.html?witem=943
>
> Yeah, I could really use this :) But the drop rates look horrible.

There's a 2h Mace that drops in DM that's very similar. It has less
armor & less +Defense, so it's not as good. It does have a higher DPS,
but that's irrelevent in Dire Bear. If you can afford to buy Warden
Staff off the AH, it's an option. Personally, I haven't missed it and I
tank in raid instances fairly often.

Regards,
Noal

There's a shortcut to Blackrock Depths when you first enter the
Mountain. Instead of walking down the chain to the center spire and
back down another chain, you can jump to a ledge far below. In order to
survive the jump, you need to use Slow Fall, Druid Cat Form, or
something else that significantly lessens damage from falling.

Regards,
Noal

Thunder bluff, that's what I was referring to. I used to think the
fall would kill me, but I was with my friend, and when he jumped down I
was like 'LOL he's sooo going to die!' well, nope, he didn't. Then I
tried jumping down as well... nope, didn't die either (and remember I'm
only about lvl 20 or so)

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

wolfing loved her ferret enough to say...
> well for me so far (only played a few chars to lvl 20 or so), it would
> probably be 'Slow Fall' from Wizard. I haven't seen one place where it
> really makes any difference as falling has almost no damage in this
> game (had this been EQ or EQ2 it'd be a different thing). Hell,
> jumping down the ravines near Orgrimmar that look like they're 2 miles
> above only hits me with like 70 dmg.

?

Try jumping off thunder bluff, or the flight master tower in orgrimmar,
or the zeppelin, or a rock tower in thousand needles, or...

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)