Help with new custom rig with $800 budget

Chizzah69

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new here (duh) and would like to get some feedback on this rig I'm planning to build come end of July/start of August. I'm from South Africa but the CPU, Motherboard, GPU, and RAM will be bought in Korea:

[CPU]
• Intel Core i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

[Motherboard]
• Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

[GPU]
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

[RAM]
• CORSAIR Vengeance® 16GB (4 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit

[SSD]
• Samsung 830 (64GB)

[HHD External]
• WD My Passport Portable (2TB, 3.0 USB)

[OS]
• Windows 7 64-bit

So what I'd really like to know is if this is a good rig for gaming at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 with high/maximum settings for most games and for work concerning programmes for audio editing/production/etc like DAWs (Cubase 6, Reason, etc)? Also is 3.0 USB really as cool as it sounds and will putting my OS, Cubase, and 1 or 2 games (which can be replaced after I finished playing) on the SSD really be all that greater concerning loading time? Those are my main questions but I also have a list of secondary things I'd like to know please:

1) Will I be able to add another GTX 560 Ti in the future (SLI config) and what would that do for quality and performance?

2) What power supply and cooling system will be needed for this rig (SLI included in future) as well as an affordable recommended case?

3) Will I need to OC (CPU and GPU) for maximum performance and quality (especially in games) and if so how well can these components handle OCing?

4) Also is anything on the list incompatible with each other?

5) And finally an estimate of about how much it will cost me since I can't really find accurate prices on the net since my budget is at around $800)?

Thanks in advance. :)

DeusAres

Distinguished
Meh, probably not going to be able to run max settings in all games at those resolutions. But you should definitely get it if you put two 560ti's in SLI.

I would recommend you get an 80+ certified PSU (preferably 750watts) if you plan on doing an SLI config in the future. Here's a decent PSU...
http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-BRONZE-Certified-Performance/dp/B004MYFODI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341874474&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+tx750

An affordable case...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Elite-Window-RC-430-KWN1/dp/B003O8J11E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341874033&sr=8-2&keywords=haf+912

And yes, you'll need to OC the CPU and GPU. 4.0-4.5GHz overclock would work just fine for the CPU. I'd also recommend getting an internal HDD like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341874190&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+1tb

SSDs aren't necessary. They are fast and do help with performance but aren't required. A HDD will more than get the job done. You can always upgrade and add a SSD in the future whenever you get the cash.

16gb of RAM isn't necessary. It is extremely overkill. 8gb is plenty.

You also don't need a mobo with the z77 chipset. However, if it is cheaper than a p67 or z68 board go for it.

And I don't see anything incompatible with each other...only excessive at some points. :)

This will probably cost you upwards of $800-$925. You may tweak some of the components and get a cheaper psu or something; However, this will cause you to not be able to do a SLI configuration in the future.