Does Canon Powershot use battry power when on USB lead

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 5, 2005 12:34:52 AM

Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
Ronnie
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:34:53 AM

Ronnie wrote:

> Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
> usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
> Ronnie

The camera is powered by the battery.. The voltage and current
supplied by the USB port isn't enough to run the camera.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:34:53 AM

I'd suggest getting an external USB card reader. I find it much easier
to use.
Related resources
August 5, 2005 2:25:20 AM

Ok Jim thanks for the info.
Ronnie
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:00:26 PM

I just checked mine and it draws only 2 mA of current at 5 VDC when
connected to a USB 2.0 port on my PC. This is probably not enough to
actually run the camera, but may power the USB interface circuitry inside. I
find that with the speed of the download of pictures with USB 2.0, I'm not
bothering with using my card reader, but instead just plug in the camera and
download using the PC control. While it's kind of cool to let the camera
control the download by pressing the bright blue button and having all the
shots be previewed full-screen as it goes, using computer controlled
download without the preview is way faster. Either way is quite fast with
USB 2.0.

Bye.

"Ronnie" <ronnie@crofthaugh.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D ctqah$5vs$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
> usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
> Ronnie

August 5, 2005 5:14:24 PM

No i was wondering about power use as i was going to try and get it
connected to a telescope Must try and find a firm the does conevertors now.
Ronnie
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:58:02 AM

Like many digital cameras, the S2 IS has an external power jack on the
side - right next to the USB jack. You can buy a Canon or after-market power
supply for it. You could also fashion your own power pack, if you are handy
with that sort of thing.

news:D cvktk$ohm$1@newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk...

!