Sign in with
Your question

Unable to simultaneously use output from two GPUs NOT in SLI/Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 4:56:33 AM

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H. This M/B has onboard video and I’ve added an inexpensive Radeon HD 5450 to the system hoping to use the additional two outputs on that card to allow me to run three monitors. However, the video on the MB was lost when I added the discrete video card. I couldn’t find a set-up configuration that allowed any more than the two outputs on the discrete card to be active. I was able to configure the system to run in hybrid mode, but that configuration still creates output only on the discrete card. I really want to use three separate monitors for doing my office work. Is there a way of using both my GPUs for connecting more monitors to the system, rather than just using them together in the hybrid configuration? The OS is Windows 7.

Is this a universal sort of problem? With multiple discrete video cards, will the active outputs be limited to a single card even when not setup in SLI/Crossfire?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 5:34:17 AM

This is the way it is on most mainboard when you add a discrete card the onboard video is disabled. If the HD 5450 has Eyefinity you can run 3 monitors but at least one needs to be DisplayPort or an Active DisplayPort adapter if your monitor does not support DisplayPort. As far as more than one discrete card that should not be a problem you can run 2 5450 cards not in Crossfire and use the ports on that card two as long as your PSU can handle the power from both cards.
m
l
May 5, 2012 7:19:11 PM

bryonhowley said:
This is the way it is on most mainboard when you add a discrete card the onboard video is disabled. If the HD 5450 has Eyefinity you can run 3 monitors but at least one needs to be DisplayPort or an Active DisplayPort adapter if your monitor does not support DisplayPort. As far as more than one discrete card that should not be a problem you can run 2 5450 cards not in Crossfire and use the ports on that card two as long as your PSU can handle the power from both cards.

I have a spare DVI monitor and the PSU is a 550 watt, so I'll just get a second HD 5450. I've seen them really cheap lately.

Thanks!
m
l
!