Sign in with
Your question

Cpu problems

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2012 1:59:58 AM

This may be the wrong category for this post, so I apologize ahead of time, as it is my first post. I noticed that while gaming, my fps would suddenly drop to less than one fps (normally around 40 on most games). I checked RealTemp and BOOM. 105 degrees celcius. WTF? I turned it off the first time in panic, but the next few times i let it run its course. I watched it for about 10 boring minutes and suddenly it went from 105 to 32 in about 5 seconds. I figured it was either a problem with the mobo, the cpu, or the cpu fan so I went out and bought new ones after about two weeks of anger. What do you know? The same problem. This problem is really getting on my nerves. Could it be my psu? Thanks

More about : cpu problems

November 5, 2012 2:09:54 AM

It's probably just a problem with the test your using. Try something like CPU-Z. If there is the same result, get help from someone better then me.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 2:12:06 AM

The drop in FPS your expierencing when the CPU temp gets that high could be the CPU down clocking itself to lower the temperature. What heatsink do you use? Is it the stock one? Make sure it is properly in place, and that the thermal paste is well applied. I notice you have overclocked your machine to 4ghz. Note that ivy bridge processors, like your i5 run hotter than their sandy bridge counter parts. Also try another monitoring program, like coretemp just to be sure its not that.

Please list the other components in your system, like the heatsink, PSU brand and model, etc.

m
l
November 5, 2012 9:20:55 PM

fil1p said:
The drop in FPS your expierencing when the CPU temp gets that high could be the CPU down clocking itself to lower the temperature. What heatsink do you use? Is it the stock one? Make sure it is properly in place, and that the thermal paste is well applied. I notice you have overclocked your machine to 4ghz. Note that ivy bridge processors, like your i5 run hotter than their sandy bridge counter parts. Also try another monitoring program, like coretemp just to be sure its not that.

Please list the other components in your system, like the heatsink, PSU brand and model, etc.

Hello,

I've tried numerous testing programs and they all show these temps. I use the Corsair h60. However, I experienced this same issue with my previous cooler, the Scythe Mugen 2. Furthermore, this issue came up even with my previous processor, the AMD 1055t. I have removed and reapplied the thermal paste numerous times, and even had my brother who owns a computer store do it, so I doubt that's the issue. The issue also seems the occur regardless of the overclock setting, as it jumps even when underclocked and at stock speeds. I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme3, Corsair h60 and (this thing is CHEAP) APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W. Can a power supply cause these issues?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 5, 2012 9:54:07 PM

Ahh, we meet again. I highly doubt your PSU would cause this issue. Is there a possibility you could swap out your CPU for something else? Or perhaps, RMA/Exchange your i5.

Also, when you're playing games, I would like you to feel the radiator on your H60+Tubing. Please tell me if it's hot to the touch or if it's cold. If it's cold, it is indeed a sensor issue. (Air coming out of H60 would also be appreciated).
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:31:51 PM

Both the air and the tubes are cold-lukewarm. This issue existed on my previous cpu as well... both sensor problems?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 5, 2012 10:37:26 PM

If this issue lingered with your previous CPU as well, then I would definitely consider a RMA on your motherboard. You may also want to swap out your PSU as it's a danger to your components :lol: 

And with the information you gave me about the tubing/air on the H60, it's definitely not a heat issue. If your CPU were truly overheating, the tubes and air coming out of the H60 would be immensely hot.
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:14:40 AM

mocchan said:
If this issue lingered with your previous CPU as well, then I would definitely consider a RMA on your motherboard. You may also want to swap out your PSU as it's a danger to your components :lol: 

And with the information you gave me about the tubing/air on the H60, it's definitely not a heat issue. If your CPU were truly overheating, the tubes and air coming out of the H60 would be immensely hot.

Okay now I'm really gonna blow your mind..... SECOND mobo..... :??: 
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 2:08:27 AM

Now this is even more confusing :lol: 

The only logical thing left to point to your issues would be the PSU, however unlikely that is...
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:14:12 PM

Just got a new psu... we will see
m
l
November 23, 2012 10:48:53 PM

Just got to 105 degrees C. Could it be the RAM?
m
l
December 1, 2012 5:06:31 PM

anyone here
m
l
!