First build fans, POST, and installing Windows 7

humanrocket

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hi everybody,

Thanks for taking a moment to read my topic! I am in the midst of building my own PC for the first time and so far it's going fairly well. I just finished putting it together today and I got it up and running! However, there are a few things I'm hoping I might find help with here. First of all, I'll post my system specs and then I'll list my troubles in an orderly fashion.

Gigabyte 990xa-ud3
AMD Phenom II x4
XFX Radeon HD 7770
G. Skill Ripjaw X 4GBx2
120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
Samsung 22x DVD burner (SATA)
Seasonic 520W ATX-12V
Antec 900 ATX Mid-Tower

1. One of my case fans won't turn on. Interestingly, it's the only fan connected to a 4 pin slot (besides the stock CPU fan).
-3 pin 200mm top fan, connected to "PWR FAN" -- works fine
-3 pin rear fan, connected to "SYS FAN 2" -- works fine
-3 pin lower front fan, connected to "SYS FAN 1" -- does not work??
-3 pin upper front fan, not connected because there's no where left to plug it in (presume it also would not work if placed in SYS FAN 1", but have yet to test this)

2. There's no POST beeps on start up? I think maybe this is because there's no headphones/speakers currently attached, but didn't test this yet so I'm not sure... perhaps its more likely that I failed to wire it correctly? In any case, I'm able to access the BIOS just fine and even got to Windows 7 installation (which brings me to my next issue)

3. Install is asking me to select the CD/DVD device driver from a list, and none of the selectable directories contain the needed files. I have read of a solution to this problem from other posts on this site, but it involves installing via USB flash instead of DVD. I have a 4gb flash and I believe my BIOS would support booting from it, but I don't know anything about how to mount the ISO image on the drive..? Also I bought the DVD drive for the sole purpose of installing software via a method that I'm already familiar with, so I would prefer to use the install CD if possible to find a solution to the "select driver" screen (but am willing to learn USB method if necessary -- what do you think I should do?) :)

Please for anything help or comments, advice, opinions etc!! :) :) and thanks to all for once again for reading this thing to the end!

So your issues:
1. I would get a fan controller like this, it will make your fans work and easy to controlhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992007 NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30 watts $24.
2. You wont hear a post beep with a case speaker connected http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032 $4.99
3. Youn need to bring up your BIOS and change the boot order to Cd/DVD then restart with the WIN 7 CD in the drive for it to install. After your install you can change the boot order

humanrocket

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks avenseth12 for the part suggestions, I will look into that! I also tried changing boot order like you suggested but still had the same problem. I am going to start learning how to try it with a USB flash, but in the meanwhile if anyone knows another solution please do :):)