Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 9:10:30 AM

My rig ...

mainboard Asus p6t se
i7 950 3.06 GHZ
6 GB ram 1333 mhz
Gpu Radeon 7970
psu corsair 850

i got like 45 fps drops on skyrime and gpu usage is only 45% :(  it this cpu problem or maybe ram???
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:25:38 AM

you are getting low fps and gpu usage is on 45% because the skyrim uses cpu more then gpu it is badly optimized well if you overclock your cpu you will get more performance in skyrim and other cpu dependent games.for example if you will play bf3 there will be an smooth gameplay because it uses both cpu and gpu thats why.:) 
May 5, 2012 9:33:53 AM

oc 950 fo skkyrim ? lol i have 99% usage on bf3 3 and i need oc cpu for skyrim ? :) ) lame DDD
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 12:12:31 PM

just try first
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 1:27:36 PM

Is the game patched?
Which drivers are you currently using?
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 1:27:55 PM

Yeah, try push your CPU more higher, if it gives you better performance then that game (skyrim) need CPu more than GPU...
May 5, 2012 1:35:40 PM

Skyrim is completely CPU-bound and optimized like crap. It's better than at launch, but still bad. With any $200+ graphics card in Skyrim, your minimum framerates are determined pretty much entirely by your CPU.

If you want to see higher GPU usage, you need to mod the hell out of it - and that won't increase performance, just the amount of workload given to the GPU.
May 5, 2012 2:04:18 PM

oh f uck :) ))))))) it drops sometimes to 45 fps .. in't not that bad but really strange .... laz programmers :( 
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 2:13:33 PM

You'll also find that RPG's tend to be a lot more CPU bound than GPU bound. When ever you go into towns full of NPC's, the CPU has a lot more to work figuring out the AI and physics. The same thing happens in FPS games when you have a bunch of enemy around you, but it happens far less, because FPS games almost never have that many NPC's lumped together.

RPG's generally have more CPU load than FPS. It's not a matter of being lazy, it is just the nature of the genre. That said, out of the box, Skyrim only used two cores, which hurt performance a lot. Now that it uses more, after some patches, it's quite reasonable.
May 5, 2012 3:06:23 PM

Skyrim still doesn't use more than 2 cores, they just fixed some of their most egregious oversights on code optimization.
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 3:22:26 PM

I didn't think so either. However, I have seen someone post some articles after one of the most recent patch that show otherwise. Given that performance has improved by so much, it only makes sense.
a c 612 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 4:33:19 PM

Turn VSync off.
a c 163 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 5:13:57 PM

You should NOT be bottlenecked that much by your CPU with that card.

Try to:
a) run the game in Windowed mode so you can also monitor the GPU usage in CCC (if you ALT-TAB so the game is in the background it often stops rendering the game)

b) run Task Manager and monitor the CPU processes (TM->Performance->CPU usage history).

It's CTRL-ALT-DEL, then select Task Manager. Make sure to view ALL threads, not just the average CPU.

If NONE of your CPU threads are hitting 100% then you aren't CPU bottlenecked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

*It seems very possible to drop to 45FPS if you have maxed out the settings. My advice is to adjust Anti-Aliasing and other settings so that you achieve 60FPS with VSYNC enabled most of the time. A small drop in quality is worth it to avoid screen tearing (VSYNC disabled) or major stutter (VSYNC enabled but dropping below 60FPS).
a c 612 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 6:02:30 PM

Running with VSync enabled is the only time I run below 99% GPU usage in Skyrim.

There is no way that CPU is holding your GPU usage down.

Either turn off VSync, or don't worry about it, because it seems like you are getting normal FPS for Skyrim.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 5:01:24 AM

17seconds said:
Running with VSync enabled is the only time I run below 99% GPU usage in Skyrim.

There is no way that CPU is holding your GPU usage down.

Either turn off VSync, or don't worry about it, because it seems like you are getting normal FPS for Skyrim.

+1
I've never had an issue such as this with Skyrim. The game uses about 99% of the GPU.
!