Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX460, Yes, no? (To replace GT440?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 10:31:37 AM

Now that I've finally got this machine (Phenom II X4 830, 16 Gig Ripjaw X, 500 watt PSU, GT440 GPU) kind of where I wanted, it was recommended to me by some fellow members here to ditch the 440 for the GTX460. I think I now know why. This 440 runs really warm during MW2 gameplay. Unlike the first MW where it ran much cooler. The 440 delivered some great FPS with MW but, not quite up there with MW2! (Yes, I'm a little behind the times with the games but hey, what's the rush?) I also had a few anomalies (glitches) with it as well in MW2. I DID NOT DO THE RESEARCH I SHOULD HAVE before I got this GT440! So now I'm looking for some solid insight on the GTX460! I tried checking out some "unboxing of" videos on YouTube and they're far from informative! My budget will only allow so much and this GTX460 falls into that category. I also saw it has some kind of "SLI" connection! What is that and where does that get connected?? I'd love to order this thing up today if I can but, really want to hear something more from others that may have this whole GPU thing nailed down! I do want to be able to run MW3 without a melt down, if that's any help.

PS: I see there's more than 1 GTX460?

Edit: This is the one I'm looking at> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : gtx460 replace gt440

May 5, 2012 10:58:17 AM

get the hd 6850 and be happy, yes gtx 460 is also a great card but the 6850 uses less power and is more powerfull than the 460.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 11:12:47 AM

A lot of this depends on which 460 you are looking at. the 460 was/is a great over clocker but as always this is not a given.
If you are looking at one of the pre over clocked 460's Vs a stock 6850 for the same price then I would go with the 460.

Personally I would go with a 460 over a 6850 and risk if I got a decent Over clock as well. that's not to say the 6850 cant over clock as well just my personal preference and experience.

I don't actually remember 100% how well a 6850 can over clock compared to a 460, but I think I remember from reviews back when the card was released that is not quite as good as the 460 if you take Over clocking into account.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 5, 2012 11:27:42 AM

You'll definitely see a big improvement with the GTX460 (1GB version is the better variety)...and more so with any 'superclocked' version. However, (only) if you are purchasing a GTX460 full price........have you checked through the pages of the latest tom's "best gfx cards for the money":

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

-->Although the 460 isn't there it is mentioned in comparison situations, and depending on the 460 you had in mind......... you might want to select something at least equal to an ATI 6790 (GTX460 768MB comparison) to a GTX560 (superclocked GTX460 comparison). Tom's roundup's are a very safe bet to base a purchase upon - you won't go wrong selecting any card within the 3 or so pages based on your budget. Have fun with your new system :) 

p.s. 'SLI' is a method NVIDIA gfx cards use to link 2 cards together to allow the user to get up-to twice the gfx performance. ATI cards use something similar called 'crossfire'. They give the seriously rich/lucky b's bragging rights while playing tetris (more money than sense? lol).......but, for us salt of the earth folk, it allows us to get great performance - later on - for much reduced cost.
May 5, 2012 11:28:09 AM

mactronix said:
A lot of this depends on which 460 you are looking at. the 460 was/is a great over clocker but as always this is not a given.
If you are looking at one of the pre over clocked 460's Vs a stock 6850 for the same price then I would go with the 460.

Personally I would go with a 460 over a 6850 and risk if I got a decent Over clock as well. that's not to say the 6850 cant over clock as well just my personal preference and experience.

I don't actually remember 100% how well a 6850 can over clock compared to a 460, but I think I remember from reviews back when the card was released that is not quite as good as the 460 if you take Over clocking into account.

This is what I'm looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... An extra ten bucks would throw me off budget so it isn't the, "Super Clocked" version. (Or do you over-clock these things yourself?)
m
l
May 5, 2012 11:41:43 AM

Yes, that card would give you a big improvement at stock values. I've not overclocked gfx cards much, so if any others have input that would be good. A quick google "GTX460 1GB overclocking" should throw up some good info.
m
l
May 5, 2012 11:48:19 AM

Check out http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/21/ov...

- good info on 460 overclocking - they overclock the GTX460 256-bit memory interface version - the version you link to is the 192-bit (I notice the 256 bit one's jump up quite a bit in price). You should, however, still be able to overclock the 192bit version, if you need to.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 3:01:51 PM

maxokll said:
This is what I'm looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... An extra ten bucks would throw me off budget so it isn't the, "Super Clocked" version. (Or do you over-clock these things yourself?)

You can over clock your self but that is moot as that version is the bit version which is slower than a 6850 anyway.

m
l
a c 385 Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 5:06:49 PM

mactronix said:
You can over clock your self but that is moot as that version is the bit version which is slower than a 6850 anyway.

You're confusing that with the SE version, mac. The one listed is the full-on GTX 460 1gb model, highly overclockable, quiet, cool, and a really good deal.

I see Newegg also has one from MSI on there with a free NBA game for $99 after rebate, which is a steal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 6, 2012 11:44:03 AM

Best answer selected by maxokll.
m
l
!