Sign in with
Your question

New Build, Nothing happens when i turn it on

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 2:26:36 AM

I just built a new computer (first time i've ever built one) and after putting everything in, nothing happened when I pressed the power button. I tried an out-of-case boot with just my CPU, ram, mobo, PSU and graphics card, before I put it in the case for the first time, and it worked fine. When I put all of it in the case and pressed the power button, i literally get no response...no fans move or anything. I thought it might be something with the 2-pin power switch adapter (i'm not exactly sure what to call it..the thing that makes the power switch on the case work) so I used a screwdriver to try and short it to get it to start but nothing happened either.

Here's my build:

Intel Core i5 3570k
Asus Mobo P8Z77-V LK
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB
4GB (2GBx2) DDR3 Crucial Ballistix RAM
500GB Western Digital HD
750W OCZ Fatal1ty Champ1on PSU
Some Samsung Optical Drive that I can't find the name of for the life of me
Coolermaster HAF 912 Mid-tower ATX case

Did I do something when i put the mobo in the case that shorted the board or something else? I used a paper clip to test the PSU and it turned on, so I'm not sure if that proves the PSU isn't the problem or not. I just want to make sure I know what to do before I take everything out again.
Thanks for the help :) 

UPDATE: I tried a out-of-case boot with just my CPU, mobo, and one stick of RAM once again and this time it didn't work. Can anybody help me?

More about : build turn

June 29, 2012 2:23:12 PM

Sounds like it might have shorted out. Did you put the motherboard standoffs in the case before you screwed in the motherboard?

m
l
June 29, 2012 2:44:14 PM

amkronos said:
Sounds like it might have shorted out. Did you put the motherboard standoffs in the case before you screwed in the motherboard?

Yes, all of the standoffs were in and in the right spots
m
l
!