Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual Monitor- Cannot recognise second Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 11:39:55 AM

I have a 2GB Radeon 6900 series graphic card and setting up second 1280 x 1024 monitor.
I thought the thing would just be recognised when I booted the pc.

No, it cannot be recongised.
Windows help brilliant suggestion was to run RegCure Pro $30 later I did.

Might have cleaned my registry but still can't recognise monitor.

Updated latest download from ARI Radeon but Catalyst still can't find the monitor.

And I also tried turning it off and turning it on again.

I am running out of Voodoo tricks. Can I have help ?
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 1:09:29 PM

How is the second monitor connected to your PC?
Score
May 5, 2012 1:12:45 PM

Both are through DVI to adapter VGA to Monitor.

Like little twins. Why not work ?
Score
Related resources
May 5, 2012 1:35:22 PM

GandivaNaismith said:
Both are through DVI to adapter VGA to Monitor.

Like little twins. Why not work ?

More info Please. (are cards in cf, Plugged into which card(s) etc.)
Score
May 5, 2012 1:43:49 PM

System is ;

AMD Phenom II Hex Core
1090T 3.2GHz , Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 , XFX Radeon HD6950 2GB, 8GB RAM ,
Score
May 5, 2012 1:45:21 PM

I don't know the abbreviation CF , also I don't know the one DP , some others were talking of.
Score
May 5, 2012 1:52:54 PM

GandivaNaismith said:
I don't know the abbreviation CF , also I don't know the one DP , some others were talking of.

CF=CrossFire, DP=Display port

I still need answers to my last questions.
Score
May 5, 2012 2:05:19 PM

It is a single card with 2 DVI ports. I am not using Crossfire. I am not using the HDMI ports. I have two cheap monitors.
Score
May 5, 2012 2:06:42 PM

I just did some trial tests. Either screen will work in the top DVI port but Neither screen will work in the bottom DVI port. When used on their own.

Score
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 2:36:07 PM

GandivaNaismith said:
I just did some trial tests. Either screen will work in the top DVI port but Neither screen will work in the bottom DVI port. When used on their own.

looks like a bad DVI port, do u check the adaptor? if the adapter is fine, can u rma the card?

I once tested by simply random plung in to random dvi port after reboot twice it will automaticaly set the port plunged in as primary display port.. so in your case seems like bad adaptor, or bad port (card)
Score
May 5, 2012 2:39:49 PM

I read Wikipedia for DVI and read the specs of my graphics card. It appears that I have one Single link DVI and one Dual Link DVI . Useless, can't work.

Why couldn't they both be dual link so that I could convert to analog monitors.
Score
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 2:48:19 PM

It strange, single or dual link DVI should not be a problem if u using DVI to VGA adaptor,

Dual link DVI is used when using 120hz/3d monitor.

Score
May 5, 2012 2:52:24 PM

ohh I was beginning to think that they both needed to be dual link and only the top port was working because it was dual link dvi.
Score
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 2:57:52 PM

Both of your DVI port in your card seems to have the analog hole (DVI-I) you now like this: (C1 - C5 in wiki picture)

o o
---- or
o o

o|o
----
o|o

so it should not be matter if it single or dual link because this four hole the VGA adapter will be using....
looks like a failed port if i must say......

RMA is return it to the place u buy it to get replacement or send it to the manufacture (XFX) to get repaired..... as long as it still in waranty

edit actualy it not only four hole it used but that is what most importance for DVI to VGA adaptor........
Score
May 5, 2012 3:12:37 PM

Thanks.

It could always be a non hardware issue. Some setting somewhere. Who knows.
Score
a b C Monitor
May 5, 2012 3:32:10 PM

Well, not that i know, ATI/AMD catalyst is very good / simple at multi monitor set up.....

I have 2 card in cfx total 4 dvi port, once i tried randomly plung in and plung out each dvi port (just for curiosity sake, i'm also using vga adaptor back then)

It just takes 2 reboot maximum to let it automaticaly set display to my monitor (sometimes it doesn't need reboot when u are not in cfx mode). so i doubt the problem in software side....

could u try older catalyst (driver) to rule out the driver issue (u can always tried the one that came with the vga card / driver cd, usually they had older working driver in it)...............
Score
May 5, 2012 4:48:08 PM

Have you gone into the catalyst control center and set up a desktop? (under creating and arranging desktops)

If not go there and see if catalyst control center recognizes that you have 2 connected, If so set up a desktop.
Score
May 5, 2012 8:25:17 PM

I went to Catalyst Control Centre before I first posted on the forum. It cannot be recognised it cannot be detected.
Score
May 5, 2012 8:36:32 PM

GandivaNaismith said:

Windows help brilliant suggestion was to run RegCure Pro $30 later I did.

Windows told you to run a registry cleaner?!?!? :o 
Score
May 5, 2012 8:43:38 PM

Umm yeah after a google search I found someone else had "AMD Radeon second moniter not detected." The simple answer they gave them was buy regcure.
Score
May 5, 2012 8:49:46 PM

I am now beggining to consider that my power supply is not even strong enough to load a second monitor.

Cooler Master RSA 650W .
Score
May 6, 2012 12:11:19 AM

Not enough power that is why it doesn't turn on. Durrh !!
Score
May 6, 2012 12:11:32 AM

Your power supply should be plenty strong for what you have as long as it's still working properly.

Quite frankly I'm as stumped as you are. It's starting to look like an RMA is in order if the manufactures tech support can't help.
Score
August 14, 2012 12:32:50 PM

Hi i am having the same problem and i thought it was the power supply for a while, so i tested it with a 750w and it made no difference
Have you found a sultion yet?
Score
December 31, 2012 4:00:47 AM

I'm also having the same issue as above with a PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 (v2)

This card has two fans. It has two DVI ports, 1 HDMI, and 2 mini Display ports.

The port at the first level (at the fan level horizontally) does not work. The DVI port at the board level horizontally works.

DVI HDMI mini1 mini2
DVI

The DVI port that doesn't work is the one below. This is what I call the first level (leveled with fans horizontally).

The DVI port at the side of the HDMI works.

My monitors are both using VGA with DVI adapters. Each of them works if plugged to the working port. Each doesn't get detected when connected to the other DVI.

This is the card: http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

It says DL-DVI-I/ SL-DVI-D for DVI Output. Maybe it has something to do with this.
Score
March 13, 2013 12:20:11 AM

I have exactly the same issue: I've connected my two VGA displays to the card's DVI ports with adapters and only the upper port is functioning. The graphic card (Ati HD Radeon 6900) does not recognize two displays, only one. It does not find the second display automatically and not by manually forcing. There is not even an option for Ati's Eyefinity.

I have come to this conclusion: two displays or Ati Eyefinity with this card? In your dreams only !!!
Score
March 13, 2013 3:10:40 AM

Is it possible to connect VGA monitor to any of those two other ports (mDP and HDMI) with an adapter?

With the graphic card came one adapter (VGA/DVI) so I assumed that is the only possibility. Does anyone know can I have dual displays (or even Ati Eyefinity) with VGA displays connected to those other ports?
Score
!