Sign in with
Your question

Xbox 360 with External HDD as NAS?

Last response: in Networking
July 5, 2011 3:17:26 PM

I currently have a 2TB external hard drive connected to my Xbox 360. I have a lot of movies and such on the hard drive which I view through my Xbox on a regular basis. My question is, how can I add content to the external hard drive, over the network? Currently, I'm just unplugging the hard drive from the Xbox, then loading content onto the hard drive from my laptop. There must be a a simple way for me to add content to the hard drive, while it is connected to the xbox over the network, right? This might be a very simple, basic question, but I'm relatively new to this sort of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
matt
July 30, 2011 4:59:50 AM

sirrus3610 said:
I currently have a 2TB external hard drive connected to my Xbox 360. I have a lot of movies and such on the hard drive which I view through my Xbox on a regular basis. My question is, how can I add content to the external hard drive, over the network? Currently, I'm just unplugging the hard drive from the Xbox, then loading content onto the hard drive from my laptop. There must be a a simple way for me to add content to the hard drive, while it is connected to the xbox over the network, right? This might be a very simple, basic question, but I'm relatively new to this sort of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
matt

I would LOVE a response to this. As I am doing the exact same thing.
I bought a Netgear N600 router with USB that was DLNA certified. (It has to be DLNA certified to have the xbox and the rest of your network see the drive) I plugged my 2TB external into the router. I can see the external on all my computer and add/play files off of it. I can also see the external on my xbox BUT only 42 of the 167 files are showing up on the xbox from the external. This is driving me CRAZY! I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the xbox to see the rest of the files.
m
l
!