First Build, Windows Not Starting

vegeta13613

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I just built my first computer. I am using an i5 3570k along with a MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard. I took a harddrive from my old computer and placed it in my new machine. The harddrive had a copy of Windows 7 on it and was working perfectly on my old computer. When I try and start my new rig, it goes directly into the Windows Error Recovery screen. I try and do a startup repair, but it says it couldn't find the problem. Any ideas? I am very new to this, but I followed a step-by-step guide, and was careful to double-check everything. My only real concern is that it took quite a bit of force to get the tension arm down. I re-set the CPU multiple times, and it always seemed to be set perfectly, but still take a lot of force to get the arm down.

Solution
You have to do a fresh install of windows when you change the motherboard. Format and start over, and your system should run fine. Windows can't find the old drivers from the previous install, so it won't load. You don't need to reinstall the cpu; leave it alone. If you're concerned about temps, use coretemp for awhile after you finish installing windows. Your cpu can run fine under load up to 72c.
You have to do a fresh install of windows when you change the motherboard. Format and start over, and your system should run fine. Windows can't find the old drivers from the previous install, so it won't load. You don't need to reinstall the cpu; leave it alone. If you're concerned about temps, use coretemp for awhile after you finish installing windows. Your cpu can run fine under load up to 72c.

Solution