Long time since building a PC. Help please. ($1900 budget)

Hello and thanks for reading!
I've been building my PCs since I have memory (starting with a PII 350 mhz back in the day).

The last computer I built was a Core2Duo E6750 which I still use.

Now I'm trying to build a new PC that I would use for gaming and web design and programming.

It has been 4 or 5 years since I checked the market for new technologies and suddenly I find myself out of the confidence I had when putting computers together before.

I have $1900 (US Dollars) to spend on amazon. I had my list ready and as soon as I was about to order, I found some benchmarks about the differences between the CPU I selected (i7 3820) vs an i7 3770k.
So, I thought that a 3770k would be better... but that then had me lost on the motherboard!

So for example, now I just can't decide if it will be better to go with a 3770k for the PCIe 3.0, or the 3820 for the quad channel memory.

I won't really overclock any component but I'm still going for the best that I can without spending more than the aforementioned budget.

I would appreciate any help on this subject since it will be another 4 or 5 years before I build another new PC.

Using the forum's template:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week
Budget Range: $1900 credit on amazon.com that I have. Can't go much over that.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (web design with PS, dreamweaver, apache...), gaming.
Parts Not Required: monitor, speakers, case, keyboard, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, Asus or Gigabyte Motherboard
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Probably in the future, but not soon.
Monitor Resolution: Current: 1680x1050 on a 22" Dell. Later this year I'll get an 27 inch monitor.
Additional Comments: I would appreciate the PC being quiet if possible. That's why I chose the noctua CPU cooler and 2 extra case fans. But I wouldn't sacrifice power for that (unless something sounds like a jet engine, like my 9800gt does).

And this are the parts that I have selected:

CPU: i7 3820
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV formula
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4gb DDR3 2133
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB SATA III
SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120 gb
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (not interested on any self-contained water cooling solution)
GPU: EVGA GTX670 FTW PCIe 3.0
Optical: Asus DVD RW (not interested on Blu Ray since I have a PS3)

OR saving $100 with 3770k and getting a dedicated sound card:

CPU: i7 3770k
Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Performance (2x8gb) 1600mhz
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

The rest of the 1900 budget is filled with extras that I like and need, so I don't think that I need to change any of this:
Noctua Mounting Kit (only $8, so it might be worth to just order it and forget about this in the future)
Mouse: Razer Imperator 2012

Then I selected a mouse pad, a tube of Arctic Cooling 5, 2 Noctua NFP12 fans for the case and a $3 anti-static wrap.

Again, any help on this subject will be extremely appreciated.

Thank you!!!

EDIT: I've checked this motherboard in case that we decide that the 3770k would be better. What do you think?
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
5 answers Last reply
More about long time building please 1900 budget
  1. An i7 gives you nothing over a i5 in gaming get a 3570k@3.4 ghz
    The gpu you put is the best for the price out there

it would be a sweet gaming computer if you get the i5 i listed
  2. 2fast4thetown_down Thanks for your response!
    I've checked the CPU you mention and it's $215 on amazon.

Which motherboard would you pair that CPU with?
    And do you think that during work sessions (photoshop, dreamweaver) I also won't notice a difference?

Thanks again!
  3. It would help us recommend parts if you filled this out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

You've got most of the info already, but we could ue things like target resolution, etc

thanks!
  4. Photoshop definitely benefits from the hyperthreading of the 3770 (CS5, at least, so CS6 probably does as well); I don't know if dreamweaver is optimized for it or not.
  5. quilciri Thanks, I've completed the template and added it to the main post.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product