Sign in with
Your question

Long time since building a PC. Help please. ($1900 budget)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 2:58:19 AM

Hello and thanks for reading!
I've been building my PCs since I have memory (starting with a PII 350 mhz back in the day).

The last computer I built was a Core2Duo E6750 which I still use.

Now I'm trying to build a new PC that I would use for gaming and web design and programming.

It has been 4 or 5 years since I checked the market for new technologies and suddenly I find myself out of the confidence I had when putting computers together before.

I have $1900 (US Dollars) to spend on amazon. I had my list ready and as soon as I was about to order, I found some benchmarks about the differences between the CPU I selected (i7 3820) vs an i7 3770k.
So, I thought that a 3770k would be better... but that then had me lost on the motherboard!

So for example, now I just can't decide if it will be better to go with a 3770k for the PCIe 3.0, or the 3820 for the quad channel memory.

I won't really overclock any component but I'm still going for the best that I can without spending more than the aforementioned budget.

I would appreciate any help on this subject since it will be another 4 or 5 years before I build another new PC.

Using the forum's template:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week
Budget Range: $1900 credit on amazon.com that I have. Can't go much over that.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (web design with PS, dreamweaver, apache...), gaming.
Parts Not Required: monitor, speakers, case, keyboard, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, Asus or Gigabyte Motherboard
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Probably in the future, but not soon.
Monitor Resolution: Current: 1680x1050 on a 22" Dell. Later this year I'll get an 27 inch monitor.
Additional Comments: I would appreciate the PC being quiet if possible. That's why I chose the noctua CPU cooler and 2 extra case fans. But I wouldn't sacrifice power for that (unless something sounds like a jet engine, like my 9800gt does).

And this are the parts that I have selected:

CPU: i7 3820
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV formula
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4gb DDR3 2133
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB SATA III
SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120 gb
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (not interested on any self-contained water cooling solution)
GPU: EVGA GTX670 FTW PCIe 3.0
Optical: Asus DVD RW (not interested on Blu Ray since I have a PS3)

OR saving $100 with 3770k and getting a dedicated sound card:

CPU: i7 3770k
Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Performance (2x8gb) 1600mhz
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

The rest of the 1900 budget is filled with extras that I like and need, so I don't think that I need to change any of this:
Noctua Mounting Kit (only $8, so it might be worth to just order it and forget about this in the future)
Mouse: Razer Imperator 2012

Then I selected a mouse pad, a tube of Arctic Cooling 5, 2 Noctua NFP12 fans for the case and a $3 anti-static wrap.

Again, any help on this subject will be extremely appreciated.

Thank you!!!

EDIT: I've checked this motherboard in case that we decide that the 3770k would be better. What do you think?
Asus Z77 Sabertooth

More about : long time building 1900 budget

June 29, 2012 3:08:49 AM

An i7 gives you nothing over a i5 in gaming get a 3570k@3.4 ghz
The gpu you put is the best for the price out there

it would be a sweet gaming computer if you get the i5 i listed
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:14:17 AM

2fast4thetown_down Thanks for your response!
I've checked the CPU you mention and it's $215 on amazon.

Which motherboard would you pair that CPU with?
And do you think that during work sessions (photoshop, dreamweaver) I also won't notice a difference?

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2012 3:20:33 AM

Photoshop definitely benefits from the hyperthreading of the 3770 (CS5, at least, so CS6 probably does as well); I don't know if dreamweaver is optimized for it or not.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:35:04 AM

quilciri Thanks, I've completed the template and added it to the main post.
m
l
!