Sign in with
Your question

Installed Evo 212, having some problems with gaming.

Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2012 9:07:14 AM

So basiclly I installed my Evo 212 because my temps were getting high while gaming on BF3, Around 70c, So I did that and randomly whenever I alt tab outta some power heavy games(mainly BF3) it freezes my computer and I need to force restart.

My specs are.

GPU: Radeon hd 7950 OC'd.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
Ram: 8 Gigs of DDR3
Fan: Evo 212
HDD: 1.5 TB Seagate.

I want to apoligize if this is the wrong section, bf3 wouldin't freeze before I installed the evo 212.

The temps are around 20-35 idle. 40-50 loaded.

This doesin't happen every time too, I tried 3 times and it happened 2 outta the 3. I also I noticed I get abit of in game lag when it happens.

Do I have to reapply the thermal paste or something? Please help.

~Nick
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 9:48:26 AM

If your temps are fine I don't see how the evo would cause your computer to freeze. You didn't bump a cable or something when you installed it did you?
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:00:38 AM

Nah, thanks for the response, I set my video card settings to default and it seems to be working abit better, maybe my card was having problems, I'll update about it later on and see what happens.

~ Nick
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 10:01:53 AM

If you're not overheating then you must have knocked a cable or something like that, there's no way that a cpu cooler is going to affect your game fps (besides temps).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 10:03:18 AM

Did you mean you manually OCd your card or is it factory OC? If you did it I would say it isn't stable.
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:30:50 AM

I manually OC'd it.

As for the cables, there fine, the reason I choose cpu is because it happened right after I installed this cooler.
m
l
November 5, 2012 11:10:04 AM

wweecw2nick said:
Nah, thanks for the response, I set my video card settings to default and it seems to be working abit better, maybe my card was having problems, I'll update about it later on and see what happens.

~ Nick

Maybe you put your 212 EVO blowing towards your GPU, and that would be a reason why your computer freezes beacuase your GPU is too hot due to the air EVO is blowing.
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 11:19:33 AM

Even if the GPU's back-side was getting blown on my the CPU HSF, the CPU's air would still be much cooler than the GPU's PCB unless the case has no rear/top exhaust for the CPU... but in that case, OP's load temp should be much higher than 50C.
m
l
November 5, 2012 11:25:19 AM

InvalidError said:
Even if the GPU's back-side was getting blown on my the CPU HSF, the CPU's air would still be much cooler than the GPU's PCB unless the case has no rear/top exhaust for the CPU... but in that case, OP's load temp should be much higher than 50C.

My gpu temps are pretty decent too, around 40-60 load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2012 12:00:10 PM

If you put the 7950 back to stock does the freezing stop?
m
l
!